Interesting article "Boil the yeast" nutrient

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hügelwilli
Swill Maker

Re: Interesting article "Boil the yeast" nutrient

Post by Hügelwilli »

NZChris,
what amounts of vegemite do you use?
what about the salt content of vegemite. What's your opinion? No problem for the yeast health in this amount?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I ask myself how much to use every time, but I've never bothered to weight it or record it. Maybe not more than a rounded dessert spoon for 200l?

There is probably more salt in the water than in the Vegemite. It doesn't appear to be enough to interfere with my ferments.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I typically use boiled yeast + some malt ground into flour, it seems to work well in sugar washes ...
Hügelwilli
Swill Maker

Post by Hügelwilli »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:03 am I ask myself how much to use every time, but I've never bothered to weight it or record it. Maybe not more than a rounded dessert spoon for 200l?

There is probably more salt in the water than in the Vegemite. It doesn't appear to be enough to interfere with my ferments.
All right, a spoon for 200l is not much. But 200l of what? Sugar water? And nothing else? DAP, tomato paste?
Or a molasses or grain wash?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Hügelwilli wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:26 am
NZChris wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:03 am I ask myself how much to use every time, but I've never bothered to weight it or record it. Maybe not more than a rounded dessert spoon for 200l?

All right, a spoon for 200l is not much. But 200l of what? Sugar water? And nothing else? DAP, tomato paste?
Or a molasses or grain wash?
Rums and sugar heads, usually with DAP. Haven't used tomato paste for three years.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Semantics aside... Here's a recap:
1) Dead yeast is a good nutrient for yeast.
2) Autolysed yeast has more bio available nutrients than boiled yeast based on the articles in this thread.
3) How much to add (dosing rate) we don't know.
4) DAP is a good yeast nutrient. But DAP only provides FAN, whereas dead yeast is more of a multivitamin (FAN plus other things).

There is some president for how much to use.
https://wyeastlab.com/product/wyeast-yeast-hulls/
Dosage Rate:1.0-2.5 lb/1000 gal (12-30 g/hL)
https://wyeastlab.com/product/wyeast-yeast-extract/
Dosage Rate: 0.5 – 1.0 lb/1000 gal (6 -12 g/hL)
https://www.whitelabs.com/enzymes-nutri ... MENUTRIENT
1 capsule up to 7 gallons
How much is in a capsule: less than 2 ml https://www.saintytec.com/wp-content/up ... esizes.jpg

The products above are dried so we probably would need to use more. How much? Not sure. Probably mot much volume wise. And for hobby size batches (25g or less) a very small amount. I figure you can use some of a yeast cake and freeze it. Might be a good case for reuse. You will be introducing a factor for infections though. We can't purify it the same way the big guys can.

Also they are suggesting if you're using malt you probably don't need it. The search engine link has different text than the actual page so I grabbed a screenshot:
White labs.JPG
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Autoclaving three small jars today of wine yeast slurry i’ve had sitting around in a jug with airlock for the past year - zero mold and already cooked it once in a regular pan when I started the nutrient test - no autoclave. Small pressure cooker holds three 250ml pint jars. I’ll use this for nutrient next time I ferment and easy enough to make three more jars.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————