Stabilization of yeast for future use

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Stabilization of yeast for future use

Post by Fiddleford »

I don't know if this has come to you folks or not but one of the mainstream ways of keeping microbes for future use is by saturating a inoculant i.e trub with a massive amount of sugar and this will preserve the microbe in question for future cultivation. there are various methods to go about ridding inoculants of infection. luckily it only requires some investment in both participation and learning. There is a path that can be easily cleared so the laymen can succeed as we do I believe.
Did you know lacto inoculant can be used to make cheese. I didn't
Alternatively you can take green stalk form the garden, any fresh plant stuff and ferment it with high amounts of sugar to make fertilizers for the garden.
You all taught me about microbes in a way I could never understand had this resource not been here
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Stabilization of yeast for future use

Post by Ben »

Washing yeast and preserving with glycerin in the freezer is a good way to go, especially if you have a blend of yeasts that are doing something you like. You can build a starter out of the washed yeast any time and a batch will last almost endlessly.

You can also slant and separate strains at home fairly easily. These are a great way to store a large variety of yeast without consuming the whole freezer, or isolate something that got an infection (for the infection or to get the OG strain back)

Neither of these require a bunch of fancy stuff: some way to sterilize vessels, a candle for an updraft to work under, distilled water (which we can produce) and a DIY stir plate to build your starter on.

Yeast ftw!
:)
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

This is a method we use for in field microbe inoculant. When needed just dilute into desired tempter water let bloom then pitch. Some of us are able to get specialty yeast with much more ease then others. With this alone I think possibly looking into yeast isolation might be of subject to discuss.
Not just for the disadvantaged but also so we as artisan producers can go back to particular strains of yeast depending on the kinds of ester profiles you may require. I am very out of touch so esters may be not what we thought they were, Criticism is invited :shifty:
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Ben wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:49 am
Yeast ftw!