Any advice on prepping a corny keg?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Any advice on prepping a corny keg?

Post by Steve Broady »

I just ordered 3 corny kegs. Obviously, these things are designed to safely hold food, including alcohol. However, we are working with higher proof stuff than just beer. Does anyone have any advice on how to prep one of these things to safely hold low wines or finished spirits? If it’s already been discussed, I missed it.
EFEFE6B4-00EB-4D0F-9164-42D60F017A72.jpeg
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Any advice on prepping a corny keg?

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Here's a link I just found, but I'm not sure there was a real consensus on whether or not it is safe.

I've seen some people recommend thoroughly waxing the rubber O-rings & gasket.

I collect kegs, glass carboys and glass gallon jugs for storing & aging. It doesn't take long to really build up a good collection. I shop at local junk shops and yard sales.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I didn’t really see any comments arguing against using the seals as they are, but I also know the rules here. Obviously it would be nice if I can just use them as they are. My plan for the moment is to use them both for storing low wines, and to collect enough finished product to fill a barrel.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for good deals, but there seems to be a dearth of available kegs and carboys around me. Or maybe I just haven’t been in the right place at the right time. I don’t get as much time to explore interesting little shops as I used to.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

I wrap the big oring on the lid with PTFE pipe tape. I think you can source PTFE orings for the gas and dip tube ports but not sure what the sizes are.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:03 am I just ordered 3 corny kegs. Obviously, these things are designed to safely hold food, including alcohol. However, we are working with higher proof stuff than just beer. Does anyone have any advice on how to prep one of these things to safely hold low wines or finished spirits? If it’s already been discussed, I missed it.
EFEFE6B4-00EB-4D0F-9164-42D60F017A72.jpeg
I'm currently oaking and aging 4 gallons (was more but I was thirsty ;)) of UJSSM in a Corny. I just removed the o-ring to allow it to breathe. The gap left isn't very noticeable as the O ring seals to the inner side of the keg and I haven't noticed too much evaporation happening. Product is tasting good but I'm leaving it longer. Once I feel the need to empty it into bottles, I'll be brazing a tap at the bottom and removing the downcomer for the siphon to make my own dispenser. Probably build a little wooden stand for it so it's at a comfortable height.

Not sure if that's the kind of info you're looking for. I imagine as long as you keep it upright, you can just get away with wrapping the o ring with PTFE for low wines storage where you don't want any evap. I'm currently storing some Shady's low wines in one without the ring wrapped because there's no way I'll allow it to sit on it's side where the low wines will contact the rubber because I'm too paranoid, but I think on one of my next runs I'll use one of my other kegs for low wines without the ring to see if letting some of the volatiles breathe out of it affects the flavor. I'll use a second with a seal for a control of course.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

The two concerns would be the o-rings and the dip tubes.

The big o-ring could be wrapped with PTFE tape if you're concerned. Each of the connector valves also contain a small o-ring. Those could be removed entirely and I don't think you'd have much of a leakage issue. With those changes I'd say you want to keep the kegs upright, but I don't think it would leak if tipped briefly.

The dip tubes are stainless so plastic isn't a concern but they could trap product that wouldn't rinse out completely, so if it's just for bulk storage and you're never pressurizing the keg I'd remove them too.

I've had good luck finding them from home brewers either getting out of the hobby or changing to other methods. Really handy for low wines! Kinda tedious to pour from, expect some loss.

Good luck.

TwoSheds
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

be water my friend
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

cob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:57 pm viewtopic.php?p=6914730#p6914730
I saw another thread where he or another person said that both of those connections have 3 buna O-rings each. I recall he or another person recommended replacing them both with caps, plug or the like.