Hello from a new Leeds (UK) based distiller!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from a new Leeds (UK) based distiller!

Post by welly »

Hey all,

Just signed up, have recently got into the hobby and so looking for as much information to get me going as I can! I started off with an air still a couple of months ago. Have used it a couple of times but realised as good as that was, I thought it was going to be a bit limiting so splashed out on a 50L keg still and today I've just put my first proper rum wash through it.

Did a 27L batch of basically a brown sugar and black treacle TPW. Smells amazing, ended up with about 5L of distillate from it (2.5L that I've kept as product!). I think I could have run the still a bit longer but got down to 25% ABV and thought I'd stop there.

So onto the next one (a molasses rum using Saltbush Bill's recipe) but loads of questions in the meantime.

Cheers!

welly
bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: Hello from a new Leeds (UK) based distiller!

Post by bcook608 »

Welcome and congrats on your first run!

Read, read, and read some more! IF you can't find the answers to your questions, you're probably not looking hard enough, but post it anyway and some of the search gurus can help link you to a post or posts that address your query.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from a new Leeds (UK) based distiller!

Post by welly »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:20 am Welcome and congrats on your first run!

Read, read, and read some more! IF you can't find the answers to your questions, you're probably not looking hard enough, but post it anyway and some of the search gurus can help link you to a post or posts that address your query.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
Cheers!