First white lightning

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

JAMAWG
Novice

First white lightning

Post by JAMAWG »

It is mighty tasty. Always wanted to try some. But not much moonshine around here as far as I know. Felt i had to pay my dues as a home distiller. Corn meal and corn sugar. Going to do a rye next.
Don't plan to do many grains. Just don't have the space or equipment for all those solids. But it was worth the mess.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
Chug
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First white lightning

Post by Chug »

I did a cornmeal and sugar this summer, I finally did my spirit run this December and it’s sitting on some toasted chunks of oak from JW barrels.Pretty darn good. I’m planning a 100% corn run next. Let us know how the rye turns out.

5 gal homemade potstill -:- If it works, it ain’t stupid -:- Progress, not perfection
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Chug wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:01 pm Let us know how the rye turns out.
Sadly I scorched the rye. And a couple other grain runs, to be perfectly honest. But have had a lot of success with other recipes since then. Not sure if I will make much more whisky. I will never be able to achieve Laphroaig or Glenfarclas at home. Buy scotch, but make the rest at home!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

JAMAWG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:57 pm Not sure if I will make much more whisky. I will never be able to achieve Laphroaig or Glenfarclas at home.
When I first started out in this game a wise man told me " We dont aim to make a clone of something that is already available commercially, we try to make something that is as good or better but different"
He was a member here well before I ever joined up and was one of the movers and shakers in starting up Still Dragon stills.......hes still involved in the hobby.
The more Ive thought about it the more I know he was right.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:39 pm The more Ive thought about it the more I know he was right.
That's spot on Salty, my wife had the usual Aussie teenagers experience with Bundy and can't stand rum.
She's actually coming around to your recipe and doesn't mind the flavour, the comment is "its like rum but nicer" :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hahahahaha.......yeah what she doesn't know yet is that Bundy is like Vegemite.....only an Aussie could love it.
Bundy tastes nothing like any other Rum on earth...and not in a good way imo.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:04 pm Hahahahaha.......yeah what she doesn't know yet is that Bundy is like Vegemite.....only an Aussie could love it.
Hahaha. I work with a couple Aussies here in the states, and one of them loves to initiate the new guys by having them try vegemite spread on a saltine cracker. Always a pleasure watching the faces folks make and hearing what they think. It's rare that anyone who tries it understands its appeal.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:34 am
Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:04 pm Hahahahaha.......yeah what she doesn't know yet is that Bundy is like Vegemite.....only an Aussie could love it.
Hahaha. I work with a couple Aussies here in the states, and one of them loves to initiate the new guys by having them try vegemite spread on a saltine cracker. Always a pleasure watching the faces folks make and hearing what they think. It's rare that anyone who tries it understands its appeal.

My good friend Big Mike has a pen pal in Australia.
They exchange random things from each other.
She decided Vegemite was somethinghe should try. He decided I should give it a taste one night while drinking. Also on a saltine, I can't say I enjoyed it much. :shock:
But I'll try anything (well almost anything)once.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:39 pm
JAMAWG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:57 pm Not sure if I will make much more whisky. I will never be able to achieve Laphroaig or Glenfarclas at home.
When I first started out in this game a wise man told me " We dont aim to make a clone of something that is already available commercially, we try to make something that is as good or better but different"
He was a member here well before I ever joined up and was one of the movers and shakers in starting up Still Dragon stills.......hes still involved in the hobby.
The more Ive thought about it the more I know he was right.
I totally agree with that. Its actually distillings fault I am now obsessed with scotch. All the tasting and cutting. Learning heads and tails. Its ruined all store bought for me. Except scotch. Ugh everything else just tastes like heads and tails. Now rum, never a huge fan. Only had a few I liked. Until I made my own. Same with my agave spirits and fruit liqueurs made with my own neutral. Just so limited with time and equipment. Just want focus on making the things I can make better than what I can buy.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:02 am initiate the new guys by having them try vegemite spread on a saltine cracke
Wrong way to eat it, try spreading very thin on hot buttered toast......I mean thin.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:58 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:02 am initiate the new guys by having them try vegemite spread on a saltine cracke
Wrong way to eat it, try spreading very thin on hot buttered toast......I mean thin.
Hmmm. I figured there's got to be a right and wrong way. Us Canucks just need to be shown🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I was visiting my grandmother in England when I was about 6 years old. She asked if I would like some marmalade on my toast and I said yes please!

Except she said Marmite. Boy, was I surprised. Trying to be polite I choked down the mouthful I took and then ran to the bathroom. I've tried it since and I am still not a fan.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Marmite was invented Justus von Liebig, who popularized the condenser named after him.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
amh71
Novice

Post by amh71 »

Marmite has been made in Burton-upon-Trent for over a century, originally from the Bass brewery waste yeast.

My wife did her mech-elec apprenticeship there and when she decided to move on bought a lifetimes supply from the staff shop, best before date on most of the jars is 1992 but its maturing nicely....

You don't want to know how its made!