Stainless vs Copper Gin Basket

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Moonraker
Novice

Stainless vs Copper Gin Basket

Post by Moonraker »

Hi,
In 3273 posts, I can't find any opinions on which is better copper or stainless gin baskets.
My real (newbie) question is doe anyone know of issues putting a stainless gin basket in line with a copper pot still and condenser?
Thanks!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Stainless vs Copper Gin Basket

Post by NZChris »

Copper is needed to clean up sulfides in stripping runs and spirit runs. Spirit that goes into the gin still should be clean already.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Moonraker wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:19 pm
My real (newbie) question is does anyone know of issues putting a stainless gin basket in line with a copper pot still and condenser?
That's a good question. Some of my earlier research revealed that one gin distillery may favor a stainless tray while another distillery employs a copper tray. Laverstoke Distillery in Whitchurch, UK pushes a French 96.3% GNS through botanicals housed in perforated stainless trays (below) to make their Bombay Sapphire gin. I used to have a pic the same kind of trays (copper) but can't find it in my current condition. I'll look for it later on.

If you plan on making an in-line gin basket, you'll want to do some research regarding the impact of residue falling from spent botanicals back into the boiler. By your kit, you're already aware of the benefits of spirits distilled in copper.
Attachments
IMG_8024.JPG
IMG_8025.JPG
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Note the size of the gin basket.

There are plenty of offset gin baskets for sale on the net that are aimed at new distillers but are undersized for the stills they are being sold for.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Moonraker wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:19 pm In 3273 posts, I can't find any opinions on which is better copper or stainless gin basket
I guess the next question is what makes you think that a gin basket will result it a better gin?

Cool photos of the baskets TB.
Moonraker
Novice

Post by Moonraker »

Thank you!!
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Seems like many of the whisky guys like their gin macerated rather than london dry.
I am more of a gin basket kind of guy.

Copper vs Steel probably matters not at all unless you are using something fruity as a base and have a sulfur taste to remove.
In any base I would use for gin it wouldn't matter and stainless is cheaper and more robust. Copper is sexier though.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

If I had an option I would choose stainless, only because I find it easier to clean.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

OtisT wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:21 pm If I had an option I would choose stainless, only because I find it easier to clean.
My stainless Carter Head basket is lined with sticky green tar at the end of a Bombay style run. I doubt that it being made out of copper would make it any more difficult to clean.