Dudeness is new da dis

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dudeness
Novice

Dudeness is new da dis

Post by Dudeness »

Hope the topic title rhymed. Didnt want to have another titled Hello.

Hello all. Been doing alot of reading, again. Looked into distilling years ago but never pulled the trigger. Got the itch again recently and am doing it now. Wanted to build something cheap and easy but sourcing copper has been tough in Canada. Also really want to get started so dont want to hunt forever. Found something cost effective that will be a good starter and almost the simple pot still I was hoping to build at around the cost i was expecting to spend. The thing that sucks is i was looking forward to learning to tinker and solder. Going to run on a 58L/15.5g keg. In the future if the hobby holds i would like to get up to a 3” 3-4 flute rig but time will tell. After i get it set up and do my cleaning, vinegar run and suger run for cleaning and leaks I plan on running a bag of sweetfeed (cob), in 2 6 gallon fermenters and doing the sour for the whole bag. Plan on keeping a small jar of each for sipping and the rest will be saved for spirit runs. If my count is right i can do 7 gens with this bag of feed and 110lbs of sugar. With luck i will only need to pitch yeast once. I think my biggest hurdle migjt be keeping my unheated shed warm enough over the winter. Drink wise I love me some vodka. Also enjoy whiskey, gin and tequila. From product at the liquor store i know im not fond of potato vodka. Corn is my favorite vodka style. I do have loads of questions but they tend to answer themselves with reading.

Ps I dont usually convey my thoughts well on forums. Its the fast thinking and slow typing that gets me muddled and confused.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Re: Dudeness is new da dis

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Welcome fellow Canuck what part of country are you from?
Cheers
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

Thanks, im in Ontario. Little over an hour from Toronto.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Welcome aboard Dude. Have fun and be safe. See you down the rabbit hole.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

If you're in an area where consistent temp is an issue, I'd recommend doing the largest ferment that you can. Thermal mass of larger ferments require less insulation to maintain optimum temps. I insulated my 50 gallon fermenter with a proportional amount of insulation as I would have for my 5 gallon buckets and the temp shot from 83*f to over 107*f overnight and I had to unwrap it and point a fan at it!

You'll get a feel for how to optimize operations for your area and available space/equipment as you read others' examples of their process. I look forward to seeing your build thread!

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Dudeness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:09 pm Thanks, im in Ontario. Little over an hour from Toronto.
Almost dead center Ab myself. Enjoy the ride here. It's a challenging, frustrating and rewarding hobby.
Cheers
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome from Northern Ontario 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD

From a fellow canuck from northern Ontario..
Dudeness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:09 pm im in Ontario. Little over an hour from Toronto.
East - West - North ?

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm If you're in an area where consistent temp is an issue, I'd recommend doing the largest ferment that you can. Thermal mass of larger ferments require less insulation to maintain optimum temps. I insulated my 50 gallon fermenter with a proportional amount of insulation as I would have for my 5 gallon buckets and the temp shot from 83*f to over 107*f overnight and I had to unwrap it and point a fan at it!

You'll get a feel for how to optimize operations for your area and available space/equipment as you read others' examples of their process. I look forward to seeing your build thread!

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
Ive got my fermeters sorted inside. 2 6 gal stay at ~65 but with blanket and warmers im at 80. So I know i can start and will just have to adjust the blamket and warmers once the show starts.

Its my still area. Using open flame so outside in old shed. Ive closed off some gaps and made it more insulated. Pretty sure i should be fine. Ill get that all sorted with my cleaning runs.
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:44 am Welcome to HD

From a fellow canuck from northern Ontario..

East - West - North ?

Mars
Just north of Orangville. So north west.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Dudeness wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:15 pm Its my still area. Using open flame so outside in old shed. Ive closed off some gaps and made it more insulated. Pretty sure i should be fine. Ill get that all sorted with my cleaning runs.
Still operation requires lots of water, any consideration on water setup and how to not have the water freeze on you..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Dudeness wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:15 pmUsing open flame so outside in old shed. Ive closed off some gaps and made it more insulated. Pretty sure i should be fine.
Those ideas don’t go together. Open flame in a shed closed off and insulated!

You will need sufficient ventilation or risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Put a carbon monoxide detector in the shed. You may be surprised how easily it alarms.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

Still arrived. Looks fine. Cleaned it up. Boiled water through it. Vinager soak. Vinager run. Suger wash fermented(but mistakes). Sacrifice run run. SF fermenting right now.

When I made my sugar wash I wasn’t in a hurry. Didnt pitch much yeast nor stir it in. It went but didnt take off. Got cold two days in so I added the heating wrap. Seemed to stop a week in but still sweet. Tried adding more yeast but nothing. So I ran a yeasty sweet low mash. Racked it off most of the yeast. Ended with 1/2 gallon of 30% cleaning spirits.
Glad I did a sugar wash to make my fermentation mistake on a worrhless run. So worthwhile in the end. Had I sacrificed a box wine or a diluted vodka I wouldn’t have learned(or remembered) about ferments.
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 pm Still operation requires lots of water, any consideration on water setup and how to not have the water freeze on you..

Mars
Submersible pump in a bucket of water topping off with ice and removing a bit of warm water as i do. Prob went through a bag of ice running my sacrificial run.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Dudeness wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:40 am Submersible pump in a bucket of water topping off with ice and removing a bit of warm water as i do.
This is the Welcome section, so I will not elaborate other than to state that the setup will remove lots of enjoyment from stillin..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome From the Mitten...
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

Thanks for the welcomes.

Decided I had room for a bucket of BW. Got to the sg reading and was wtf?! Way high. Does my hydrometer work?! Looked at my calcs i halfed the recipe but 1/4d my water. Grabbed another bucket split the mix and filled, rechecked sg. 1.093. Was waffling on how much to make. Guess I wanted 2 ferments deep down. Prob post in those threads when I strip.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Dudeness wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:07 am Thanks for the welcomes.

Decided I had room for a bucket of BW. Got to the sg reading and was wtf?! Way high. Does my hydrometer work?! Looked at my calcs i halfed the recipe but 1/4d my water. Grabbed another bucket split the mix and filled, rechecked sg. 1.093. Was waffling on how much to make. Guess I wanted 2 ferments deep down. Prob post in those threads when I strip.
1.093 is still way high dude :ebiggrin:
Dudeness
Novice

Post by Dudeness »

squigglefunk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:51 am 1.093 is still way high dude :ebiggrin:
Thats what it called for in the op. On page 19 or something I read it was lowered to like 1.06. Read to there after making it.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Let's go to the proper forum for discussion.