Use of anti-flux in soldering

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

Use of anti-flux in soldering

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I came here to search for a diy anti flux and was surprised to see it mentioned in only 2 post back in '09 and both had only heard of it and not seen it. I was wondering if there might be a safety issue with this board as some of the fumes are harsh. I was planning on using yellow ochre as its been 30 years since I worked with a torch. I figure I need all the help I can get.
Suerte JK
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Use of anti-flux in soldering

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I saw some videos on YouTube using yellow ochre as well as other videos showing how to make anti flux. I've used different types of flux before and those are very harsh. I can't imagine that using such a common anti flux would be harmful when you take standard precautions.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

It allcomes back to how well you clean the still before using it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

be water my friend
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I tried whiteout and it did sort of work but it was very hard to clean off. Blue painters tape gave similar results. Maybe oil or petroleum jelly would work better.

My final answer was flicking big drips off with a flame and DRY flux brush followed by emery cloth. Make sure you don't use a flux brush that has flux on it, ask me how I know...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I'd bet Bentonite Clay and Mineral Oil would work. It would probably work even with just water.

Just curious, what do you intend to use anti flux for exactly? Is it a complicated part of a build or something?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I use liquid paper(white out) quite sucessfully when brazing copper . I only use it fir asthetic purposes because its really hard to remove after .

I’ve never bothered when it comes to soft lead free soldering because its so easy to cleanup any runs with files , sandpaper etc . Try that with silver brazing rods and the braze is so hard relative to the copper , that in most cases , I end up making a mess of the copper trying to clean it …. hense , I use the liquid paper .

Some have said that a graphite pencil will work just as well , but I wasn’t happy when I tried it .

Oh , in my experience , the liquid paper seems to come of very easily afterwards with a wire brush or a staino scrubber .
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I too am using it for a clean look and cleanup. It would be brushed on the outside so I would not be contaminating the product. I'll be using a mapp wonnabe torch on a bunch of 3" fitting. I'll be needing all the help I can get to produce the end result I want. I used this when I worked refrigeration on the docks. Whiteout has a smell much worse then ochre, and for 5 bucks you can do a lot with the amount of powder you get.
And this I would think would work well with soft soldering as I see most here like myself can get solder to flow where they don't need/want it. Its just something you don't pick up watching a 5 min video.
JK
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just out of interest , are you intending to use soft solder or hard brazing rod ?
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I plan on doing both. I want to try to braze the ss fitting and the keg. I plan on soldering the sight glasses and flanges. I never felt the weight of a flute,column, riser so I feel I need to braze for strength a 6" ferrule to the keg to help support that offset weight.
JJ
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

In some cases citric acid will help.