'Silverish' residue inside the still.

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sciezyna
Novice

'Silverish' residue inside the still.

Post by sciezyna »

Hello,

My setup: S/S boiler, s/s column, s/s scrubbers, copper head and coils.

I noticed that after mu runs there is a little, powdery silver in colour (or s/s) residue (like metallic paint?). It is easily taken off with my fingertip. Has anyone an idea what it could be? I ran the apparatus first time with vinegar. Now after 5-th run the residues is still there.

I clean all well after each run, wash the removed scrubbers in water till there is little smell only, scrub the boiler clean. No cleaning liquids use.

I have a photo of it if needed.

Thanks
Jules
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: 'Silverish' residue inside the still.

Post by Dnderhead »

could it be minerals or something in the water ? try boiling some down to nothing and see if anythings in the bottom of pot.
what is the pot? ss/copper/ other. I just have to ask.
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

i have noticed this in my still too... and i think its fusel oils dried on the inside... i only notice it at the end of the run and if I'm going really deep into the tails
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I run every thing you can thank of and non in mine and run deep into tales. I was thanking more in the line of minerals in water?
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by minime »

I recently dis-assembled a copper 2 inch offset that was a couple of years old. It had only ever been rinsed from the top with fresh water for cleaning purposes. There was a very uniform layer of black or dark silver coating through the entire length of the column and head also but only where the vapors were prominent not the liquid. Never did have any color or flavor in the distillate so I'm thinking maybe sulfur compounds or something along that line. If your distillate is not affected I wouldn't be concerned. Your column is just doing it's job :D
sciezyna
Novice

Post by sciezyna »

Thanks, thanks for your posts.

I have - S/S 50L keg, S/S 3" kolumn, S/S scubbers, copper Bokakob ('model5') soldered with silver. I use bread or flour for seals.

For a moment I thought maybe scrubbers scrubbed themselves and left something or maybe an original cutting, shavings but they would disappear after couple of runs.

absinthe mentioned going into deep tails and that could be a clue as I am not noticing it every time...

Last strip run went through to 30% and I had some murkiness in the 40%-30% tails. I ran honey + sugar wash and it is quite heavy to ferment and who knows what is there...

minimie describes it right: "uniform layer of black or dark silver coating through the entire length"

I will run water to dry and see. I am not worried about it, but am just asking in case it is something to worry about.

Dankon
Jules
Brewin'Jack

Post by Brewin'Jack »

Dis boys i can tell ye whas tis. You see in dhe makin of modern copper more zinc id used then ever before. Id is proper alloy form bud over time with use an heat exposure the treatment coating on dhe inside of dhe copper weres away an flows down hill and gets stuck in the traps of reular plumbin'. Dhis is also true in yer still. Zinc is a common meddle we all inges everyday as a meddle an dhe body don gid hurt by dhat, but mad'n sure you clean id out everynow an dhen. Zinc oxide if it accumlates can cause some odd blood born infections. Other dhen dhat your not haven a thing of trouble. Oh an to add somit else, you do na gid id yer use refrigent grade copper because she stuff is treated so yer dont because it would clog up dhe filters and blow dhe head. I been an A/c man fer 30 yers an i knows copper. Me wife says das alls i knows, but dhat neider here nor dhere.

May yer drink always flow from yer own pot

My friends call me Brewin Jack, Lors knows why.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

A bit of learning on the spelling front would help, i'm not gunna pick anyone for being uneducated.

We all like to type as we speak, and but your posts are almost unreadable and if that's some kinda accent or patios you're trying to represent, i think you'll still get your point across if you were to ease up a bit :?

AndWelcomeToTheForumPunkin
Brewin'Jack

Post by Brewin'Jack »

Point taken bud dhis just taint how i's speakin, tis how i'd Tinkin. I'd take no offence. if yer don unnerstan dhen i'll translate fer yah if i can. :|

My friends dhey call me Brewin Jack, Lors knows why.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

No worries, jack.
I'll just skip over your posts till i get used to it. :wink:
Brewin'Jack

Post by Brewin'Jack »

Dwell Hows yer gonna gid used too id if yer nad gonna read id???

My friends dhey call me Brewin' Jack, Lors knows why.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Brewin'Jack wrote:Dwell Hows yer gonna gid used too id if yer nad gonna read id???

My friends dhey call me Brewin' Jack, Lors knows why.

:wink: 8) :roll:

IGuessIJustAin'tPunkin
sciezyna
Novice

Post by sciezyna »

Well, I didn't intend to create debate about talking/spelling/thinking in written lingo.

I got it all and it is helpful to know what the heck is there in the still. If it is zinc as Jack says then there is no big worries as long as the stuff that comes out of my still is pure.

I noticed that when I ran each second run (already stripped) there is no residue. It looks like there could be something in the sugar wash that does the 'zinc' trick...

BTW - there are other places where the purity of language is important; here the only purity we ought to care about is the purity of our product.

Thanks for the info. God bless, Jack, for yer good wish:

"May yer drink always flow from yer own pot."

I would add: may you always have mates to drink with.

Jules
I drink whiskey, because it makes the world as it ought be without whiskey. H. Lawson
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Thanks, Punkin, for speaking up... I've opted to skip posts by Brewin'Jack because I don't have the time to try to decipher his purposeful jibberish... I'll spend my time helping people who need help rather than those who just want to fu-k around... It's one thing to be functionally illiterate, but yet another to simply be trying to be a pain in the ass... I'm sure I'm not the only member who feels this way so if you're reading this, Brewin'Jack, knock if off, grow up, or whatever it takes, and we'll all get along a lot better and you'll receive a lot more help than you've been getting... It's just not cute anymore...
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

I'm revitalizing this thread for those of us who seen this in their still. I agree with the post that say's I happens when you pull deep tails, as this just happened to me for the 1st time doing Pugi's Rum and pulling down to 20 for the "rum oils". Scared the bejeesus out of me when I saw it, until I read about it, figured I wasn't the only one so just sharing what I found on the topic.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

sltm1 wrote:I'm revitalizing this thread for those of us who seen this in their still. I agree with the post that say's I happens when you pull deep tails, as this just happened to me for the 1st time doing Pugi's Rum and pulling down to 20 for the "rum oils". Scared the bejeesus out of me when I saw it, until I read about it, figured I wasn't the only one so just sharing what I found on the topic.
I read it could be because of over used DAP/ rum recipes . I had that happen a few times when I first started. I cut the dap down to a couple tbls of dap per 5 gallons of rum.

haven't seen it since. not sure if the dap was the culprit but I know I haven't seen it since
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Elemental analysis indicates copper and sulfur. Get at least a little on all my runs (AGs and UJs). Most noticeable on my pot still head to keg gasket.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Just came across this for the first time. Stripping 6 gallons of SBB Rum. Ran till sweet water. Pulling apart the riser for rinsing and came across this silvery powder/chalk. I’ve not read about this before. Hoping someone has some current insight into this phenomenon.
3F7A6FC7-7548-42B6-9B7F-D32721AD3D6D.jpeg
Last edited by Stonecutter on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Same thing happened to me in June. I randomly got a very sulfury bourbon wash and this film was a result. Looks like the copper is doing its job. I just didn’t have enough of it.

I still have the sulfury low wines hanging out in a carboy. Gonna run them through a bunch of copper mesh to clean them up.
Attachments
D6C0DEFD-634B-49CB-A729-905011F26BCF.jpeg
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thanks BB44. Being this is my first time running all molasses I’m not sure what they’re “supposed” to smell like but the low wines don’t have a sulphur smell.
The silver shit rinsed and wiped off. BrewinJacks answer, while strenuous to read, seems plausible. If I got the gist of what he was saying. I sure hope it’s not leeching zinc from bad copper. I only noticed it at the bottom of my riser just past the sight glass on the boiler.

Edit: here’s a link to a more plausible cause
DuckofDeath wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 am When I run rum I always get a silvery oil on my copper plates. I believe it is a mineral from the wash. I do not get it with other type of runs. Others have reported it as well.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:47 pm Thanks BB44. Being this is my first time running all molasses I’m not sure what they’re “supposed” to smell like but the low wines don’t have a sulphur smell.
The silver shit rinsed and wiped off. BrewinJacks answer, while strenuous to read, seems plausible. If I got the gist of what he was saying. I sure hope it’s not leeching zinc from bad copper. I only noticed it at the bottom of my riser just past the sight glass on the boiler.

Edit: here’s a link to a more plausible cause
DuckofDeath wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 am When I run rum I always get a silvery oil on my copper plates. I believe it is a mineral from the wash. I do not get it with other type of runs. Others have reported it as well.
Your still probably did its job with all the copper cleaning up the wash. I believe the silver stuff is salts forming with the copper. My silvery gunk actually had a slight purple tinge to it. It was super easy to rinse off like you described.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's nothing you need to worry about. It's fusel oils reflecting and refracting light as does any oil film on water. If you don't flush it out with hot water, the next run will flush it down into the boiler with the passive reflux as the still head gets up to temperature.

I don't take my still head off, or clean the still, between successive stripping runs.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Low sulfur producing yeast and better fermentation care should minimize.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.