Economics of 'going pro'.

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Economics of 'going pro'.

Post by The Baker »

Made my day, Setsumi.

Geoff
The Baker
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:57 am
LWTCS wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:44 am It could be viable with a hobby outfit if you didn't give up your day job and didn't expect any sales to support all the overhead associated with above board production / capital expenditures.

Minimum size kettle to generate enough revenue to carry fixed costs associated with doing an above board business: 380L.

Minimum size kettle to generate enough revenue to actually be profitable running an above board business: 1000L.
Is this conjecture/anecdotal? Because it’s hard to believe without hard numbers. Also “I know a guy” or “this is what happened to me” doesn’t count as proof that this statement is true.
Larry knows what he's talking about as he's on the commercial side of things. The issue is that you don't understand that side of things. And instead of asking why he said that you challenge what he is saying. If you're actually thinking of going pro he's one of your best resources to do that. He's really smart about the business and a good person to run ideas past.
The Baker wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:37 am Or are you just another troll?

Nah.
Been on these forums for maybe twenty years longer than you.

Geoff
I appreciate all the posts you put out there here and elsewhere. I learned a ton from you.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

glenlyon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:34 am
Check out our instagram at @bruinwooddistillery and our website at bruinwood.com
Great looking site, next time I'm down your way will arrange a visit.
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

NorthWoodsAb wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 am next time I'm down your way will arrange a visit.
Please do! We have a lot of Alberta travelers stop by. We also get quite a few home distillers throughout the year.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I think about this weekly, and have come to the conclusion that what would make me happier than a pig in shit, is to work at a distillery, not own the distillery. Majority of your time is not spent actually distilling or mashing, but running the business, miles of paperwork, phone calls, emails, being a salesman, dealing with the government. Atleast in the USA, seems like opening a distillery is a quick way to distance yourself from actual distilling, opposed to keeping it as a hobby.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:32 am
LWTCS wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:44 am It could be viable with a hobby outfit if you didn't give up your day job and didn't expect any sales to support all the overhead associated with above board production / capital expenditures.

Minimum size kettle to generate enough revenue to carry fixed costs associated with doing an above board business: 380L.

Minimum size kettle to generate enough revenue to actually be profitable running an above board business: 1000L.
Is this conjecture/anecdotal? Because it’s hard to believe without hard numbers. Also “I know a guy” or “this is what happened to me” doesn’t count as proof that this statement is true.
Larry knows what he's talking about as he's on the commercial side of things. The issue is that you don't understand that side of things. And instead of asking why he said that you challenge what he is saying. If you're actually thinking of going pro he's one of your best resources to do that. He's really smart about the business and a good person to run ideas past.

Nah.

Geoff
I appreciate all the posts you put out there here and elsewhere. I learned a ton from you.
You’re just being a dick now; so I’m just supposed to blindly accept one persons anecdote without asking for proof? The circle jerk is real.

If we’re just going to believe people, then what about the post that details that a distillery owners smallest still is his most profitable? Why shouldn’t I believe him? He actually owns a distillery, not a still parts website.

You guys gotta stop telling newcomers to this forum one thing, then blast them when they do that thing. This forum is about the spirit of research and self sufficiency, then when I ask for more proof so I can do my own research you tell me to just believe one guy I don’t even know? That’s bullshit and you know it.

Just because the majority believes it doesn’t mean it’s true. Just look at the Boka design history. It was the bees knees till it wasn’t. We wouldn’t have What we have now without people wanting to look deeper than what they’re hearing on the surface.

In short, pull your head out of his crotch and let people ask questions.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 am

Nah.

Geoff
You’re just being a dick now; so I’m just supposed to blindly accept one persons anecdote without asking for proof? The circle jerk is real.

If we’re just going to believe people, then what about the post that details that a distillery owners smallest still is his most profitable? Why shouldn’t I believe him? He actually owns a distillery, not a still parts website.

You guys gotta stop telling newcomers to this forum one thing, then blast them when they do that thing. This forum is about the spirit of research and self sufficiency, then when I ask for more proof so I can do my own research you tell me to just believe one guy I don’t even know? That’s bullshit and you know it.

Just because the majority believes it doesn’t mean it’s true. Just look at the Boka design history. It was the bees knees till it wasn’t. We wouldn’t have What we have now without people wanting to look deeper than what they’re hearing on the surface.

What about... read a bit around here and else where and realize that there are people that realy make a contribution to the hobby and craft. AND those people actually are prepared to answer your questions... yes on their terms and from their perspective and involvement, regardless your needs or personality. Some are just hobbiest some are in manufacturing and developing craft distilleries.. do you question Android, microsoft, Boeing? Your remark on website with parts only shows your ignorance.

Your remark on "head in his crotch" is a blatant insult to all on this site, just my opinion.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Setsumi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:57 am
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 am

Nah.

Geoff

What about... read a bit around here and else where and realize that there are people that realy make a contribution to the hobby and craft. AND those people actually are prepared to answer your questions... yes on their terms and from their perspective and involvement, regardless your needs or personality. Some are just hobbiest some are in manufacturing and developing craft distilleries.. do you question Android, microsoft, Boeing? Your remark on website with parts only shows your ignorance.

Your remark on "head in his crotch" is a blatant insult to all on this site, just my opinion.
How about you answer the question Setsumi. Me asking for proof doesn’t negate the contributions of LW to the site. You truly think the vets here are infallible? That is incredibly foolish
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Bedside manner is important too? Demands and insults rarely lead to any reasonable outcome...

No-one here get's paid for contributing - 100% volunteer. Buyer beware and do your research until you're satisfied.

Re: Economics of 'going pro':
Q: How to make a million $ in the likker industry?
A: Start with 10 million and start a distillery?

*** If you love the hobby seriously consider not turning it into a job..

My $.02 whether it was requested or not.

Cheers and best luck!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

@MereCashmere, crunch your own numbers then.
Not everyone is going to have the same fixed costs. Not everyone will have the same kind of market space. And not everyone will have the same loss factor.

Here is a table that illustrates what a 380L, 1000L, 1500L, 2000L, 3000L,and 4000L kettle charge will yield with a 30% loss factor. Bottles are filled with an ABV of 40%.

Once (ALL) your fixed costs are factored in, you'll need to determine if the system's parameters is capable of generating an adequate net profit,,,one assumes.
Will your market tolerate a $50 bottle of whiskey? Or can you even get away with an $80 sale per bottle? Do you have enough bank to sit on a proper bourbon for 4 years? Or will you have to resort to sale after only 2?
Or did you expect everyone here to factor those types of variables for you?

This first consultation is free. Anything after is $130 per hour.

Stop with the insults or you'll find yourself heavily moderated.

HD Run Estimator Example.png
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saw merecashmere's name at the top.

Didn't read it.

Geoff
The Baker
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 pm You truly think the vets here are infallible? That is incredibly foolish
He's just been here a few months, and yet pretty well knows it all.. all his thread are the same, trying to teach us "greenhorns" a thing or two..

And here's where it comes from..
MereCashmere wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:23 am Dads a shiner, hopin to learn more here, and maybe teach some greenhorns a thing or two.
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 amIf we’re just going to believe people, then what about the post that details that a distillery owners smallest still is his most profitable? Why shouldn’t I believe him? He actually owns a distillery, not a still parts website.
Again, you're too busy to ask why it's his most profitable.
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 amI’m just supposed to blindly accept one persons anecdote without asking for proof?
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 amThis forum is about the spirit of research and self sufficiency, then when I ask for more proof so I can do my own research you tell me to just believe one guy I don’t even know? That’s bullshit and you know it.
You're not asking for proof. You're just telling people they are wrong. There's a difference. You should try asking people why they say what they say and not tell them they are wrong. You don't know if they are wrong, you're only putting forth supposition.

I understand you may have some issues with communicating. Maybe you should read your posts more carefully before submitting them to ensure what you write is what you actually mean. This software can help: https://www.grammarly.com/tone
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Most profitable means best margin.

Maybe even a single offering can carry the nut?
But most profitable dont mean shit if you're not able to net a profit based on total production volumes.

And by profit I mean make a real living while also contributing to your retirement.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

The Baker wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:43 pm Saw merecashmere's name at the top.

Didn't read it.

Geoff
Same here. I think it's going around.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:30 pm
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 amIf we’re just going to believe people, then what about the post that details that a distillery owners smallest still is his most profitable? Why shouldn’t I believe him? He actually owns a distillery, not a still parts website.
Again, you're too busy to ask why it's his most profitable.
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 amI’m just supposed to blindly accept one persons anecdote without asking for proof?
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 amThis forum is about the spirit of research and self sufficiency, then when I ask for more proof so I can do my own research you tell me to just believe one guy I don’t even know? That’s bullshit and you know it.
You're not asking for proof. You're just telling people they are wrong. There's a difference. You should try asking people why they say what they say and not tell them they are wrong. You don't know if they are wrong, you're only putting forth supposition.

I understand you may have some issues with communicating. Maybe you should read your posts more carefully before submitting them to ensure what you write is what you actually mean. This software can help: https://www.grammarly.com/tone

My very first post on this thread is asking for proof

But you’re too high and mighty to admit you’re wrong, just like the rest of the cult here
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:05 am

Didn't read it.

Geoff
Same here. I think it's going around.
Nice, got the whole cult round table hurling insults clogging up a thread! The Trolls of the Round Table appeared, I must be doing something right.

Of course it’s completely fine when you guys hurl insults here, but no one else can.

To think all this started because I wanted proof of an erroneous claim from someone who doesn’t even own or operate a distillery…
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:09 pm
MereCashmere wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:06 pm You truly think the vets here are infallible? That is incredibly foolish
He's just been here a few months, and yet pretty well knows it all.. all his thread are the same, trying to teach us "greenhorns" a thing or two..

And here's where it comes from..
MereCashmere wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:23 am Dads a shiner, hopin to learn more here, and maybe teach some greenhorns a thing or two.
Mars
Mars your literal MO is going thread to thread telling people “you don’t understand X and I Do because”

Perhaps look in the mirror before you hurl insults at people?

Not to mention you’ve thrown plenty of fake claims around without proof or any backup, just talking out your arse, and when you are called out on it you shut up real quick.
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Didn't read it.

Geoff

Way to clog up a thread with insults instead of contributing. Father of Trolls strikes again.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Must of touched a raw point with the about statement you made..

Good luck with teaching this "greenhorn" a thing or two..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

MereCashmere wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm
Way to clog up a thread with insults instead of contributing.
What are your thoughts on going Pro :?:
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Thanks Shady for trying to head this back onto the original direction...lol

Me and SWMBO talked long and hard about going pro/legit/legal or whatever you want to call it, about 10 years ago. We decided against it. We figured if we did that, it would stop being an enjoyable hobby and become just another job. Besides, me and her are both cheap, and the investment money was just more than we were willing to risk.

A family friend did go legit and opened a craft distillery and seems to be doing ok. But he isn't selling "moonshine", he's selling barrel aged brown whisky.

There are folks on HD.net from all over the world, from every background, and in many different professions, including distillation pros. Might be worth it to listen to them. But thats up to the individual reader.

Anyway, if you decide going pro is for you, then I wish you luck. But I'll stick to just making a little bit here and there for me and mine.
Just my thoughts,
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

What about partnerships with distilleries? I don't want to own, or work full time at one. But selling a recipe, or working with them during harvest season? I am sure the economics are not there for it to be paying my rent. But there is still a product I want, its not out there. So I am working towards it.
Incase anyone wants to know. A rainer cherry liqueur on par with a Grand Marnier. I got years of work ahead of me if I go pro with it or not.
Are there things like this in the industry? There are so many liqueurs out there, and they use such small amounts in cocktails. They can't possibly be selling at a scale to support them all independently. Probably all owned by InBev and made in the same factory now days.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

JAMAWG wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:54 am What about partnerships with distilleries? I don't want to own, or work full time at one. But selling a recipe, or working with them during harvest season? I am sure the economics are not there for it to be paying my rent. But there is still a product I want, its not out there. So I am working towards it.
Incase anyone wants to know. A rainer cherry liqueur on par with a Grand Marnier. I got years of work ahead of me if I go pro with it or not.
Are there things like this in the industry? There are so many liqueurs out there, and they use such small amounts in cocktails. They can't possibly be selling at a scale to support them all independently. Probably all owned by InBev and made in the same factory now days.

You know,,,its probably possible to create a hybrid version of a co- pack model.
Pay a fee , make and market your own spirit without having to cope with the capital expense of starting up.
Establishing trust would be critical,,,,as well as a contribution toward the liability insurance.
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Sugarlands is doing some version of this with the guys from the Master Distiller/Moonshiners Shows. The big guys sell unused time on their equipment for various runs. Thats where costco and trader Joe's gets everything. There has to be some way to do this with the smaller guys. If these startups could sell their extra capacity in some way it would probably help their bottom line.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
GPBrewer
Novice

Post by GPBrewer »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:31 am I like the grill idea.

Another way to keep the lights on that I am interested in is to have your distillery double as an event center.

Make everything attractive with a bright and shiny still front and center in a warehouse/hall with lots of shiplap and rustic looking reclaimed building materials, all on a decent sized piece of property where you grow your own sugar cane, corn, and various fruits for seasonal offerings.
Host and cater wedding receptions, offer liquor packages, give property tours, host distillation classes and clubs.
Yup, this is what "mystic" does near me. They sell gin, white dog, single barrel "bourbon", and some sort of grossly sweet bourbon liquor. But they also have a huge event space where they do live music, art shows, etc etc.

They also distill and bottle whiskey as a white label product, lone rider and creekwater at least, which are partially owned by famous people, aged in big plastic Gaylords on staves... gross.

But every other Saturday they do a bottling day, where volunteers get to bottle whatever they're making, it's a pretty fun way to spend a morning, and you walk home liquored up pretty good, with either a t-shirt or a bottle of your choice, and usually they buy lunch too. Seems like a very economical way to have some brute labor.