New distiller

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canuckman33
Novice

New distiller

Post by Canuckman33 »

Goooooood morning everyone! Absolutely bright green when it comes to distilling but learning how and more importantly (to me ) is to distill SAFELY is why I’m here. Currently retired after a 35 year career in the Navy and now fill my retirement time with running an Airbnb, RV rental, salumi and charcuterie home business, bee hives, and fermenting foods and drinks. Whew! I’m tired just typing that out 🤭

So happy to have found this group and very much looking forward to my first batch.

Setup: just an inexpensive pot still starter setup from Vervo with all the necessary and nice to have mash making equipment. No thumper as of yet but definitely interested in learning how to make and incorporate a single or dual stage one.

Thanks a ton for having me and excited to get distilling!

Canuckman33
bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: New distiller

Post by bcook608 »

Welcome!
Read, read, and read! Till your eyes bleed!

Make sure you replace the forbiddens and do a proper cleaning ritual.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun!
Canuckman33
Novice

Post by Canuckman33 »

Thanks for the warm welcome bcook608 🤟

Reading is what I do best (especially now that I have to figure out what you mean by ‘replace the forbidden’ 😬)

Cheers
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Canuckman33 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:39 pm (especially now that I have to figure out what you mean by ‘replace the forbidden’ 😬)
Have a good look at the rules we live by. I have a similar still. You’ll probably want to get rid of everything (yes, everything) that isn’t either copper or stainless steel or Teflon. There’s lots of info here on how to do that, and you’re more than welcome to PM me if I can be of help, from one relative newbie to another.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Welcome!

Glad you are here. tried and true and you won't be disappointed
AmAcDaGreat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by AmAcDaGreat »

Welcome from another newb!
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Welcome to HD. Another Canuck. You will learn how to do things safely here and make a tasty dram.
Cheers
Canuckman33
Novice

Post by Canuckman33 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:39 pm
Canuckman33 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:39 pm (especially now that I have to figure out what you mean by ‘replace the forbidden’ 😬)
Have a good look at the rules we live by. I have a similar still. You’ll probably want to get rid of everything (yes, everything) that isn’t either copper or stainless steel or Teflon. There’s lots of info here on how to do that, and you’re more than welcome to PM me if I can be of help, from one relative newbie to another.
Really appreciate the welcome and after doing a vinegar clean yesterday and watching with eyes wide open as the pot jumped, rattled and rolled on the burner as it came up to temp, was a clear indicator of my need to upgrade my equipment 😬
Canuckman33
Novice

Post by Canuckman33 »

RockinRockies wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:44 pm Welcome!

Glad you are here. tried and true and you won't be disappointed
Thanks! Been reviewing and reading the posts like a frenzied college kid prepping for SATs (in my mid 50’s and never went to college so no idea how I’m able to make a comparison 🤭) and looking forward to my first ‘run’. Started a 5 gallon simple sugar wash yesterday to get my feet wet and have 5 gal hard apple cider nearing completion of fermentation that I’m hoping to run thru the still right after
Canuckman33
Novice

Post by Canuckman33 »

NorthWoodsAb wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:25 am Welcome to HD. Another Canuck. You will learn how to do things safely here and make a tasty dram.
Cheers
Well met and although I live in Gods Country (Vancouver Island) and you in the frozen tundra of AB, I look forward to learning and creating with ya’all. 😉
Canuckman33
Novice

Post by Canuckman33 »

AmAcDaGreat wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:39 pm Welcome from another newb!
Appreciate the welcome!
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome Aboard, From one Vet to another, Thanks For your service, Read more, Take Notes....
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:40 pm Welcome Aboard, From one Vet to another, Thanks For your service, Read more, Take Notes....
Oh!

I was thinking veterinary surgeon; a more common use of the term Vet where I come from.

Welcome.

Geoff
The Baker
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome. You will definitely learn the best,safest way to distill in these pages.
Start reading and asking questions. It's all here. 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

The Baker wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:07 am
Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:40 pm Welcome Aboard, From one Vet to another, Thanks For your service, Read more, Take Notes....
Oh!

I was thinking veterinary surgeon; a more common use of the term Vet where I come from.

Welcome.

Geoff
Geoff, Here it means the Same, Many Veterans Just shorten it to "VET", I Guess I Should Just use the Long term..lol
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Welcome aboard from a fellow Canuck in the Ottawa area! There is alot of knowledge here and alot to read. Have fun!
-- Rrmuf