Canned peaches

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbuck
Swill Maker

Canned peaches

Post by bigbuck »

So i have read some good articles on mashing canned peaches and i know there is already conversations on this matter but im trying to find out if there is a general rule of thumb on how much water and sugar i should add per each 6lb can of peaches in light syrup, i will be aging this in a small oak barrel at the end
Go easy on me as this is my first attempt ar peach lol
I know fresh ripe peaches is the right way to do this but they are not available yet
Thanks in advance for any info!
RC Al
Swill Maker

Re: Canned peaches

Post by RC Al »

No experience, but im beginning to see a trend of an close to equal amount of sugar to the flavouring for many recipes, be it grains or fruit, then use the calcs to work out the water to get you to a 7-8% wash

Couldn't help myself
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

As a general rule of thumb, the more sugar you add, the more you dilute the flavor of whatever fruit it is that you want to impress your friends with.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bigbuck wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:46 am So i have read some good articles on mashing canned peaches and i know there is already conversations on this matter but im trying to find out if there is a general rule of thumb on how much water and sugar i should add per each 6lb can of peaches in light syrup
Mashing is how starch is converted into sugar, that's not how fruit is done.
The canned peaches already have natural and added sugar from the "light" syrup.
I'd measure or figure out how much total sugar the canned peaches have.
Then decide what is needed for a SG of no more than 1.060ish
My rule of thumb would be, have the most fruit with the least extra sugar.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

We all love the flavors and smells of peaches. We all enjoy the health benefits of alcohol. But those of us who have tried fermenting and distilling peaches have often been disappointed at how little of the flavor and smell make it into the final product. Yes, I am aware that our 'cuts' usually get in the way. But would we be happier with end product if it were the result of maceration instead?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

RC Al wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:26 pm No experience, but im beginning to see a trend of an close to equal amount of sugar to the flavouring for many recipes, be it grains or fruit, then use the calcs to work out the water to get you to a 7-8% wash

Couldn't help myself
Not cool at all. That is an ear worm from hell, and 15 minutes after visiting this thread, it's still stuck in my head. :lolno:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy »

Canned fruits have little to no flavor dont waste ur time.
To get the full peach experience dont throw the skins add a few seeds too, you need all the flavors when u strip it.
distill on fruits add fresh peaches to the thumper if u have one.
and then do a slow spirit run.
RookieRecurve
Novice

Post by RookieRecurve »

Did you end up making a brandy from canned peaches? I watched a great video by Robyn Smith on YouTube on her fermenting fresh peaches, and it makes me want to try making one. As is your case, peaches are not available here right now, and when they are, they can be prohibitively expensive, so canned seems like a good alternative. You could always add some dried peaches to the vapor path to infuse more flavor into the final distillate as well.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Spiced Peach Brandy

4 1/2 gal peaches (6 - 1gal cans) SG 1.070
6 1/2 gal water FG .990
9 lb sugar
Daddy yeast

Notes:
Use a blender to puree the peaches.
The distilled spirit was proof down to 100 Proof .
Spiced peaches were used to add flavor to the Brandy .
Spiced peach juice was used to sweeten the liquid to taste .
Cinnamon, clove and 1/2 spiced Peach were added to the jars and then they were filled .

Note:
Ive tried this Spirit on several occasions I would only leave the clove and cinnamon stick in maybe a week. Then I would remove it. The spirit has aheavy Taste of clove on the back of the tongue and is really spicy.

I've used this recipe on several occasions with and without the spiced Peaches for flavor. Like everyone else has said the more sugar you add the less flavor of the peach is going to come through. This is why I added the spice peaches peaches to the cut spirit. When I did this without without the spice peaches there was little flavor and almost considered adding peach flavoring from Olive nation. But I just decided to make panty dropper out of it and it turned out great. So in conclusion I guess I won't make anymore peaches runs unless it's from the ripe fruit.
IMG_20200617_213826.jpg
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

I made a preach brandy with just peaches last year. Fresh of the spout it tasted like a fresh peach smells. Think "essence of fresh peach" or "hint of fresh peach".

The peaches were from the grocery store, so the flavor might be more intense if it's made from a different variety of peaches. Or maybe if I tossed some peach puree in to the spirit run.

I'm definitely curious to read about how the canned peaches work out for you.
JAMAWG
Novice

Post by JAMAWG »

Just started a batch of canned peach. Two #10 cans, blended them, added pecto, 4 gallons of water. And 8 lbs of organic cane sugar. Its been bubbling for 3 days now Honestly I like canned peaches more than fresh peaches. But we are a long way from fresh peaches around here.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.