New Hobby Distiller - Happy to be here

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Birdbeast
Novice

New Hobby Distiller - Happy to be here

Post by Birdbeast »

Greetings all,

I'm very new to the distilling comunity, having received a 3-4 gallon (when filled to the 2/3 or so mark) pot still with thumper / slobber box (can be used as one or the other) for this past birthday when I turned 41.

I am not, however, new to the enthusiastic consumption of spirits! :)

My "day job" is in Information Technology (B.S. in Information Systems from Carnegie Mellon in 2003); of late, software development mostly, and/or the leadership of teams who do so. However, I've run the gamut from having built and hardware troubleshot computer systems/workstations/servers, to systems/network/security administration, to being CIO of a startup until we reached a critical mass, etc. I won't bore you with any more stats there.

I also adore singing - I am a professional classical dramatic tenor, having minored in vocal performance at Carnegie Mellon. I have semi-regular church/temple gigs (so long as they pay), and sing the odd wedding, funeral, and various other liturgical holiday service. I also sing the occasional opera or musical theater show if it's a role I love to perform.

And now, I hope to add distilling spirits to that list, though of course only as an amateur and only for personal and social consumption. I hope to start my first mash fermenting in the next few days after I get a few questions answered here in this forum.

Cheers to all! :wave:
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Hobby Distiller - Happy to be here

Post by subbrew »

Welcome aboard. My day job is also IT, been in the SAP space for 20+ years. But no one wants to hear me sing.

There are loads of information here for the reading. What sort of spirits do you hope to make? Since you said you have a mash fermenting I will assume whiskey.

Did you do your vinegar run and sacrificial run already? If not take a look for those.

Dig into the rabbit hole, it is deep and broad