Rerunning a strip that is cloudy with green flecks in it

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rumblepants
Novice

Rerunning a strip that is cloudy with green flecks in it

Post by Rumblepants »

I have added 5 liters of stripped low wines to 24Litres of wash and was about to run a 1.5 spirit run.

I came across a post where someone had mentioned that green tinge/flecks can mean there's corrosion inside the still.

My still ha sat unused for around 4 months and the last thing I ran was a heavy peated barley whisky wash.

I was thinking that the cloudiness and flecks were due to me running the strip at full power and collection down to less than 10% abv.

I am now planning to run the vinegar and sac run protocols just to be sure there's no nastys in my still.

After that is done can I run the 1.5 wash or do I have to chuck it?

Thanks
Rumble
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Rerunning a strip that is cloudy with green flecks in it

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Personally I'd rather clean the interior manually rather than doing a vinegar run and sacrificial run. After that I'd just distill it.

You could zip tie some stainless crubbers to a rod chucked into a drill, spin that thing and run it through the column or riser. Give it a good rise and it should be good to go.
Rumblepants
Novice

Post by Rumblepants »

I have cleaned out the interior with a thick bottle brush and can not see any visible corrosion only patina which I'd rather not lose.

Can I re-run the wash that I've saved?

Thanks
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Hell yeah Re run it. I’d treat it like a spirit run low and slow. Throw a coffee filter under the spout if you like
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Worst case scenario is it comes out blue and that’s your sac run. Collect in jars.

Cheers!-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Vinegar and sacrificial runs are for cleaning out flux and machine oils after a new build or modification.

The stripping run should have cleaned your still already, so there is no need to clean it again. Do your spirit run.
Use a filter to catch any flakes coming out of the condenser. If it catches a lot of blue, then you have a problem.
Rumblepants
Novice

Post by Rumblepants »

Thanks guys. Will run it tonight.