Where to go after UJSSM

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Where to go after UJSSM

Post by Stump Lake »

Am I too far down the rabbit hole? Maybe, I'm asking myself that question now. Is this worth it? IDK..I have my set up in my man-cave, having a still in your man-cave is kinda cool. As far as the product...It's ok, it is drinkable, doesn't replace store bought. If I could produce something the has that "Oh Wow factor" I would be All In. I'm hopeing the HBB may be it.

I looked up both the corona and the agristore. I'm thinking of something between the two, in price and quality.

Thanks for the reply.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I've got some HBB both white and 6 months on oak. And a chocolate bourbon (HBB with a straight substitute for the honey malt). Both are very drinkable and (while not terribly complex) are an easy substitute for the Maker's Mark which was my only reference for bourbon.

With regard to mills, I think that there's a gap in the market between the two. You can get a roller mill but apparently they don't like corn too much. The problem is that when you add a motor everything has to be scaled up in terms of resilience. And then you need to factor in the cost of the motor.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:00 pm
The issues I had with the corona were that by the time I was done with modifying it was a little janky and i also had purchased a new dedicated 3/8” wired drill that I would need to be able to run for 30-60min straight while holding the contraption together. The corona playes would often come loose requiring dismantling to a certain degree, reassembling, and then grinding more.
My experience was similar. Eventually moved on to a roller mill and am much happier (I vorlauf and sparge so meal/flour isn't part of my requirement). But the corona lasted me a few years, made some good beers. It was pretty slow and very messy to use though.
Stump Lake wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:09 am If I could produce something the has that "Oh Wow factor" I would be All In. I'm hopeing the HBB may be it.
You will, the tried and true are a great place to start on it. The first time you nail the cuts and the white is exceptional, and you don't get a headache from a little too much you will know you are on the right path. UJSSM is a decent drink to be sure, but all grain is a notch or two above.
:)
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Just finished my first all grain, it was a disaster. I did the HBB. Poured it all in the feints jug and will try again.

I have ordered a corona mill, I'm sure the food processor did not grind the grain fine or consistence enough.

Next time I will hold my mashing temperatures and fermentation temperatures better.

I went to the local Oyster Bar and picked up some Oyster shells to put in it.

All in all it was a learning experience. I truly believe I can do better.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Great attitude!

It's worth googling corona mill brewing, or corona mill mods, see what people are doing with them. None of it is strictly necessary but could give you some inspiration for tinkering, and show you some good tricks for setup.
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Thanks Ben
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

The "Cereal Killer" malt mill is a decent bargain and ready to accept a drill or other motorization.
GNBrews
Novice

Post by GNBrews »

ThomasBrewer wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:10 am The "Cereal Killer" malt mill is a decent bargain and ready to accept a drill or other motorization.
That's a decent malt mill, but it's not recommended for hard stuff like corn. There's a good discussion on appropriate mills on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=82830
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Update, I'm working on HBB#4 now, I double distilled HBB#'s 1 & 2 and have it sitting on an oak spiral. Enjoying a sip now and then to see it to how it ages. Thanks Dougmatt & TwoSheds for recommending I go to HBB next. AG is a step up, I'm battling the learning curve. I keep working to better my starch conversion. My best so far is a SG of 1.055. Thanks SOD for the receipt and the amassing thread.

Right on subbrew & jonnys_spirit, about Northern Brewer. I order 5lbs of each of the grains and they sent me 6lbs of each. So I'm going to make 6 runs of the HBB.

EricTheRed, I am using the rolled oats, in each batch.

Ben, I got the Corona Mill and have been cranking away on it. It's fun now. I can see where this might get old in the future and need upgrading.

My original UJSSM is getting a little age on it and starting to taste better & better. I only started this in august 2022, so I haven't had much time for ageing.

I own a 1/2 barrel beer keg now. Taking my build slow, hoping to do it right. When it's complete I plan to retire the Vevor. I have 18 runs on it so far. For the price it has served me well.

Thanks all for the amassing site. I read it ever morning with my morning coffee.
Last edited by Stump Lake on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

When you get wary of cranking you just modify it to take a power drill, or need more grain per run and want it to go faster. Then you have to make some sort of shroud for it because the grain goes everywhere! They are fun though.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Stump Lake wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:19 am Update, I'm working on HBB#4 now, I double distilled HBB#'s 1 & 2 and have it sitting on an oak spiral. Enjoying a sip now and then to see it to how it ages. Thanks Dougmatt & TwoSheds for recommending I go to HBB next. AG is a step up, I'm battling the learning curve. I keep working to better my starch conversion. My best so far is a SG of 1.055. Thanks SOD for the receipt and the amassing thread.
Awesome. Glad you are enjoying it and echo the thanks to SCD for the great recipe!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!