my first sugar run vodka

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

shven
Novice

my first sugar run vodka

Post by shven »

my first run was a sugar wash.
it turned out pretty good.. a little hot but it tasted like a cheap vodka..lol

my first attempt at flavoring and cutting the proof down..
didn't go so well . I tried following a recipe using jolly ranchers.. it caused the proof to drop way down.. and was not very good..I still have all that I've made.. I am not sure I can add it back to the still and run with my rum run in the thumper or right in the pot..

my 2nd run . I bought a kit on line for a corn, rye,barley...scorched..tasted terrible..

I found I was trying to go to fast in my learning..I need to learn the process better before jumping in so heavy..

so I am sticking to the sugar washes for npw.now.. I'd like to get a bigger still..I have a 5 gal but would like a 10 gal ..
the cheap Chinese made one I have now. the rubber gaskets are only good for a run or 2.. I am using paste to now..

shven
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: my first sugar run vodka

Post by Salt Must Flow »

What still were you using when you distilled the sugar wash? Did you do one run or did you do a stripping run then a spirit run?
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Re: my first sugar run vodka

Post by tiramisu »

What percentage abv are you taking off at?
You may not be getting adequate reflux and are effectively making a whiskey (maybe)