Half fermented wash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Cakicen
Novice

Half fermented wash

Post by Cakicen »

Hi, very sorry if it was asked already. My eyes tired reading all the forum since 10 days as a novice to learn eveything.

My sugar wash get very weak almost stalled half way. SG is 1080 and now it is 1040. Can i distill it as a sacrifice run? I think it has around 400 ml alcohol content. Is it enough for sacrifice run? Also in SR do we only do a stripping run or do we have to do a spirit run as well?

Many thanks in advance.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Re: Half fermented wash

Post by squigglefunk »

sacrificial run is just one run

what sugar wash did you make? They should ferment very low like under 1, 0.99 ...
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

A good recipe is important. I'd get it back on track so you'll have a better sacrificial run.

The most common reason for a stalled sugar wash is a ph crash. I'd check your ph. I always use a source of Calcium Carbonate to buffer the ph so it doesn't crash. You could add some now, but it would likely take days before it raises the ph. There are other things you can add to raise the ph right now, but it's best not to do that unless you have a method of checking the ph.

You can add Calcium Hydroxide (Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime for instance) little at a time and it will raise that ph right now, but it will NOT buffer the ph. That's what Calcium Carbonate is for.
Cakicen
Novice

Post by Cakicen »

squigglefunk wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:50 am sacrificial run is just one run

what sugar wash did you make? They should ferment very low like under 1, 0.99 ...
Hi, thank you. I use beet sugar. Just measured ph, it is 3.1 and gravity 1030. I added 1 ts carbonate now it is better. Bubbling more :)
Cakicen
Novice

Post by Cakicen »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:04 pm A good recipe is important. I'd get it back on track so you'll have a better sacrificial run.

The most common reason for a stalled sugar wash is a ph crash. I'd check your ph. I always use a source of Calcium Carbonate to buffer the ph so it doesn't crash. You could add some now, but it would likely take days before it raises the ph. There are other things you can add to raise the ph right now, but it's best not to do that unless you have a method of checking the ph.

You can add Calcium Hydroxide (Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime for instance) little at a time and it will raise that ph right now, but it will NOT buffer the ph. That's what Calcium Carbonate is for.
Thanks a lot :)