How low can you go

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

How low can you go

Post by elbono »

Hey TIG welders, help wanted!

I'm about to try to weld my first ferrule on a keg to mount a heating element. I obviously want it low to minimize the volume to cover the element but what's the limit?

I'm working with Blefa 1/6 bbl kegs, I got 4 @ 5 USD each so if I mess one or two up it's not a disaster but would like to avoid learning myself what y'all already know.
16691593208083.jpg
16691593207312.jpg
Should I put it as low as where the keg side is still vertical (about the top of the oblong holes)?
Move up so my heat affected zone avoids the machine made weld (about 5-6 mm higher)?
Even higher?

I've practiced with some scrap from when I cut the chimes off of kegs and 2" ferrules and getting welds I think are decent but I'm a long way from a "stack of dimes" very much a beginner.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How low can you go

Post by Dancing4dan »

I like the heating element as close to the bottom as possible. Helps prevent exposing and burning up elements
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I know I want it as low as possible/practical, my question is about how low is practical when welding it.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

elbono wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:17 pm I know I want it as low as possible/practical, my question is about how low is practical when welding it.

Depends on your welding abilities. The telling factor is the length of your element.

If you cut a hole in the skirt and correctly profile the fitting you can lay the element

almost on the bottom. Again the profile of the bottom comes into play. If you build a

pocket that welds to the bottom of the keg horizontally, you can put your element

below the bottom of the keg if you wish. Is that a small keg? 5-7.5?
be water my friend
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

elbono wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:17 pm I know I want it as low as possible/practical, my question is about how low is practical when welding it.
As low as it can be, anyone you take it to has probably done a test welding two pieces of dissimilar metal while standing on their head while having buckets of water thrown on them while be verbally and physically abused.
Seriously any TIG guy worth his salt will love welding that thing, all he needs is a continuous piece of metal the same thickness all around the weld and enough room to fit his cup.
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

How much trouble are you prepared to go to?

Using a suitable element, you can enter through the bottom on an angle and bend the element so that it is horizontal. My bottom element is covered by 1.5l.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

NZChris wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:38 pm Using a suitable element, you can enter through the bottom on an angle and bend the element so that it is horizontal. My bottom element is covered by 1.5l.
Do you have any advice on which elements can be bent safely? I would assume that not all can, but I don’t know.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

It's probably not as critical as you think.

I have a sixtel fitted with a 1500w screw-in water heater element via a 1" half coupling soldered to the side about an inch above the bottom seam.

Unless you plan to run very small volumes (2 gallons or less) you will never have a problem with uncovering your element.
I run 4 gallon strips that leave over 3 gallons of dunder still in the sixtel.
Even 4.5 gallon 40% low wine boca spirit runs leave over 2 gallons in the boiler.
If necessary, you can even fill the space below the element with marbles/lava.
EFE6647C-238D-49BD-8CB1-8E45F1844909.jpeg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Steve Broady wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:43 pm
NZChris wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:38 pm Using a suitable element, you can enter through the bottom on an angle and bend the element so that it is horizontal. My bottom element is covered by 1.5l.
Do you have any advice on which elements can be bent safely? I would assume that not all can, but I don’t know.
No. You will have to talk to your supplier or electrician. Mine are zinc plated copper, the zinc soon disappears during the stripping runs leaving me with copper jacketed elements, ideal for an SS boiler.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Thanks guys. The answer is what I hoped, depends on my skill level (very low), no land mines hidden in the existing seams/contours.

I have an element that I plan to mount similar to bunny's pic but lower. The plan is to use this 19.5 liter boiler on spirit runs after a strip run in my 58 liter boiler. If everything is close to full size batches I'm golden but I don't always do full batches.
Sporacle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:44 pmanyone you take it to has probably done a test welding two pieces of dissimilar metal while standing on their head while having buckets of water thrown on them while be verbally and physically abused.
My welder friend tells a tale of throwing a bucket of water on a coworker. When the coworker finished the weld he was ready to physically abuse someone until he realized they did it because his clothes were on fire. Weld was fine.

edit-19.5 liters not 15.5 liters
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I chickened out and put it just above the bottom seam.
16701067276881.jpg
It takes 3250 ml to cover the element. If I run any ferments in a 5 gallon bucket I'll need to dilute on the spirit run but I usually run 40 liter ferments.

It's far from pretty but I'm happy, no leaks, only warped the ferrule enough that I need to wrap my gasket with plumbers Teflon tape to keep it from leaking.

One foot in front of the other, I'll eventually make a tig weld that looks like I know what I'm doing.