Are experimental recipes welcome here?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Are experimental recipes welcome here?

Post by Steve Broady »

I’m still quite new, and I try not to make that anyone else’s problem. I don’t want to offend or annoy anyone (unless they deserve it 8) ), so I figured I’d ask about the appropriate protocol first.

I’m working on developing a bourbon recipe, based on what was available at the home brew store the day I went in. I don’t think I’m any better than the guys who’ve posted the tried & true recipes, and I’m definitely not trying to compete. I’m just working with what I have, and trying to apply what I’ve read here and come up with something decent. On one hand, I could just do my thing, see what happens, and post my results in a year or two after I’ve aged it enough to have an idea how it turned out. On the other hand, I could post the recipe I’ve come up with here, and hopefully get some feedback from people who know a hell of a lot more than I do. I’m good either way. I just want to know what is considered appropriate here.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Are experimental recipes welcome here?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Fire away! It’s a good way to document your recipe as it goes through its stages or different versions :)

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

U know me, I'm all for experimenting.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

That’s what forums are for Brotha. If you feel like you can contribute then do the damn thing.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Done! Thanks for the encouragement.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That's what this section is for.
Having said that, expect pointers, opinions and possible a reality check. :lol:

The grainbill on a recipy is the easy part.
What I like to see is the mash protocol and equipment used. :ewink:
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

shadylane wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:53 pm Having said that, expect pointers, opinions and possible a reality check. :lol:
I certainly hope so! I don’t need my ego stroked. What I do need is advice from people who have been there before.

And I hope I don’t disappoint on the recipe I posted. First time I’ve tried to write up something like that. I’ve been sitting here with a spreadsheet, working out the details of the recipe before I post something stupid.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You should be able to.

I don't, especially with anything that has a chance of failure. I have been asked to post a couple of my experimental protocols and declined. They didn't work, so I was very happy that I hadn't posted them. Bad ideas can be pounced on and become 'Gospel Truth' within in a few weeks, 'Truths' that can be very difficult to eradicate as the OP doesn't have the ability to delete the thread or his posts, or the Chinese Whispers that develop from it.

I keep very good records on the cloud so that I can access them from anywhere. Nobody else needs to see them until I'm happy that they work consistently.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

That sounds like personal experience taking, Chris. I don’t know of you know this, or care, but I tend to weigh your posts a bit more heavily than those from a few other folks around here. I can see how being “an authority” would make it even more important to be careful with what you post.

I did go ahead and post a recipe because I would greatly appreciate the feedback, but I have tried to be clear that I, to be blunt, don’t know what I’m doing yet. Hopefully nobody takes anything there as genuine good advice. Or, if they do, I sure hope it works out for them!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I don't see myself as “an authority” and neither should anyone else. I might have been playing this game for quite a while and have a high post count, but I'm still learning new stuff all the time and, more importantly, am still learning that some of the 'Gospel' that I thought I knew a few years ago wasn't correct.

Do your own research using the best resources you can find.
lest1
Novice

Post by lest1 »

NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:43 pm I don't see myself as “an authority” and neither should anyone else. I might have been playing this game for quite a while and have a high post count, but I'm still learning new stuff all the time and, more importantly, am still learning that some of the 'Gospel' that I thought I knew a few years ago wasn't correct.

I do your posts have always been great reads
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

lest1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:37 am
NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:43 pm I don't see myself as “an authority” and neither should anyone else. I might have been playing this game for quite a while and have a high post count, but I'm still learning new stuff all the time and, more importantly, am still learning that some of the 'Gospel' that I thought I knew a few years ago wasn't correct.

I do your posts have always been great reads
+1 to that also. Chris is one a select group who's archives I creep and take notes from.
Thanks to that group🍻
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

The oversight here can help “hone” a hypothetical recipe before mistakes are made. So, posting and asking for assistance certainly will help to preempt an obvious problem. But, sometimes those very mistakes can be educational. Many hobbyists have “learned by experience” before you and will continue to experiment as our hobby expands around the world.

Recipes for spirits are an artform, indicative of the creativity of the artist/brewer. Many new hobbyists have little experience brewing while some of us have been brewing for many years. Indeed, experience with cereal grain brewing helps you to formulate a recipe to hit your paradigm product, but nuances will expand to a diverse potential, often adding a quality to your product making it unique to your brewhouse. As noted by the explosion of craft producers now across the country and around the world, the market has shown to favor the diversity of products.

Bla, bla, bla … experiment as you will. It will help you grow in the hobby. Feedback from the members is helpful but then again, you don’t need our “approval”. Perhaps the best commentary you’ll get will be from your friends who sample your products with you. Listen to them with an earnest ear.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

You’re absolutely right, ss. I don’t need approval, and I’m more than happy to just do my own thing and experiment. But I really appreciate the advice I’ve received here, and I’d like to think that it’s made me better than I was before.

As for getting feedback from people tasting the finished spirit, that will definitely happen as well. I’m always asking for honest feedback. And if anyone here cares to try it, hopefully I’ll be able to share with them as well. Just got to make it first!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've seen a lot of experimental methods, designs and recipes posted here. A lot of them didn't get their results posted and their posters haven't been back. I quite often come across those threads when searching the forum for info about some 'new' idea I've had.

Some of the ideas, I thought, were very good. I've probably used some of the recipe ideas.

One 'out there' reflux still head design that was posted several years ago is on my list of stuff that I would like to experiment with myself. At the pub today, I was picking the brains of a local plumber for info I need to build a next level version of it.
PUGIDOGS
Swill Maker

Post by PUGIDOGS »

I love experimenting!!! With documentation it helps others. I have tried some pretty crazy stuff over the years. Onion based tequila was for the most part a fail, but hey, we learned.
SHINE on you crazy diamond !!!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

PUGIDOGS wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:31 am
Onion based tequila was for the most part a fail, but hey, we learned.

I'll see your "Onion based tequila"
And raise you with Horse apple moonshine. :sick:

viewtopic.php?t=85320
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

shadylane » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:56 pm

PUGIDOGS wrote: ↑

How does chocolate oat whiskey sound?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Bradster68 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:28 pm shadylane » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:56 pm

Sounds like an oated version of chocolate sundae bourbon. My favorite mash bill ever!!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Tummydoc wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:46 am
Bradster68 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:28 pm shadylane » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:56 pm

Sounds like an oated version of chocolate sundae bourbon. My favorite mash bill ever!!
I got a free 50lb bag of chocolate oat granola mixed together already. It does have a chocolate taste. Very interested in what a year or 2 will do to it