Boka first run.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

PrinceKernow
Novice

Boka first run.

Post by PrinceKernow »

[utube] [/utube]

Video here for you all of my Boka still doing its first proper booze run.
Sugar wash recipe by ‘Birdwatcher’ 20 Litres fermented 10 days, rested cool for 7 days.

Doing cuts by taste as thermometer is in bad position and reading high, changes are inline with expectation though.

With me luck with the tail cut, I can taste a change….
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Boka first run.

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Just a quick suggestion, you would be better of getting rid of that thermometer and using one of these ......cheap and work very well for that job.
T500 thermo.jpg
PrinceKernow wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:37 am and reading high
Its not about what it reads .....its when the temp changes a little that tells you whats going on. If your drawing off product to fast temp will rise a fraction or two of a degree......if tails are on the way same thing will happen.
Is that a 3 inch column ?.....how long ?
PrinceKernow
Novice

Re: Boka first run.

Post by PrinceKernow »

Ho Bill
The column is 30 inches high and 2 inches wide, packed with stainless scrubbers. I know it’s on the short side for that diameter, but seems to be working quite well. ABV peaked at 90.

Yeah that old meat thermometer is a bit rubbish, I’ll get one like you showed soon.

How far do you keep going into the tails? I’ve collected about a pint which I’ll add the next session. ABV was down to 30 if I remember right.