Banana Mash?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nolawdistill
Novice

Banana Mash?

Post by nolawdistill »

Has anyone distilled with a banana mash? I have access to lots and lots of free bananas and am wondering whether I could turn them into liquor? I imagine the sugar content isn't too high, so I would have to add sugar. Maybe molasses? What about cooking them? Could I mash them to convert starches to sugar? Or just leave them out until they are black all over like you would do for making a banana bread.

Would love any ideas, I'm pretty new to distilling so can use all the help I can get!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Banana Mash?

Post by blanikdog »

I made banana wine many years ago and it was fine. Banana likker is only going the next step. Dunder will be along with a recipe soon or you can always find one yourself. Jack Kellerman - spelling may be a little wrong - has a wine making site which will help you.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

Something at the back of my mind is saying "use some chopped up skins in the ferment to get the banana flavor"
I must have spoke to somebody about bananas in beer or wine before :roll:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Iv made banana wine to add to other wine to add body.
iv never tried to distill.
4lb (2 kg)ripe bananas mashed+ 1/2 the skins chopped.
2lb sugar (1kg)
top with boiling water to 1 gal (4l)
wine nutrients (go by instructions on container)
acid blind (add as needed to bring PH down to 5-6)
beelah
Trainee

Post by beelah »

One of my very first runs was made with three gallons of a friends banana wine. They were moving, I was helping, we came across 4 gallon jugs of this banana wine sitting behind a bunch of boxes- they said "do you want a couple of gallons as we have only room for one, if you don't we are just going to dump it".

I said sure, I need something to try out my new still.

It made the nicest-banana smelling and tasting shnapps I have ever had!!! :D :D

Donlt know what the recipe was, but it sure was nice.

I added the heads and tails into the feints jug and when I ran my next cornflake wash, I add the feints and the banana came over in that run and the one after that. So the banana has a lot of staying power :mrgreen: ( no pun intended)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

most banana wine has other things like raisins added,the recipe i gave was plain,
so i could add to other wine that was to "thin"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ive made banana wash best i remembered I used 70lb bananas peeled and 20 lbs sugar in a fifteen gallon total wash.Prestarted 1/4 oz ec1118 yeast in a gallon of the wash.Seems like it fermented out in 2 weeks or so then filtered through a blanket and ran single run real slow.Made a likker you knew first taste weather ya liked it or not .I didnt friends that did drank it. :)
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
nolawdistill
Novice

Post by nolawdistill »

Nice, sounds like it's doable then! I quite like bananas so hopefully I'll be one of those that like the product...
Think I will just run Tater's recipe and see how that goes. I expect those of you running banana wines would have something even tastier as all that time aging would probably come through into the likker too, but we'll see how it goes raw. Think I'll add some peels in too as that seems to be called for in most wine recipes. Ferment with EC118 as that's what I've got on hand.

One more question: Should I run this once, or twice? Seems like a lot of people just run fruit washes a single time? I've got a converted keg pot still and a little concerned it wouldn't come out strong enough, but maybe I want it to be weaker anyway if it's fruity. I suppose I'll run once and see how it tastes.
sparky marky
Swill Maker

Post by sparky marky »

I single run for fruit and collect at about 2-2.5 liters per hour. Only run a second time if u manage to screw up in some way.
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

had a dig around my wine books and found a couple of recipes.... one includes the skins....
BananaWine-6p.gif
BananaWine2-6p.gif
It's mentioned in one or the other that they can be used to add body, and also useful for clearing/fining where 2-3 brown but not rotten bananas per 4.5L are sliced in to small pieces, simmered in water for 5-10 minutes, strained through a coarse filter and added to the wine.

The skins apparently have their own natural amylase, hence the ripening I suppose. Have tried using scrapings of the white pith at various temps to see if it converts grain or potato starch, but didn't see any conversion over a range of temps up to malt conversion temps. Possbly only a slow, room temperature amylase, and maybe naturally linked to the starch in bananas, and not so suitable for grains or potato type. I don't know if freezing helps breakdown the banana mush, it may do, it does help with some fruit.veggies... I have some bananas in the freezer waiting for a rainy day to try out again sometime....

Many many years ago I made some banana wine, *and* distilled some. Can't remember much about it, but would have made cuts on a second run similar to whisky limits, while trying to make a brandy or schnapps like spirit. Do remember the flavour/aroma came over really well, and I seem to remember a "de-tuned" neutral retaining lots of aroma too. Single run would be interesting, and use of pulp in a thumper an interesting possibility too!

The yield based on fermentable sugars is said to be around 28US/gals per ton, not too bad, but explains why added sugar used, and a lot of pulp in the wash. It may be worthwhile doing a conversion step during the cooking with a bit of malt, there could well be some starch to convert, and I guess too the malt would add some needed nutrients and maybe some sort of extra influence on the flavor.

It will be great to hear how this goes!
nolawdistill
Novice

Post by nolawdistill »

Goddamn does it smell like bananas in here! Things are moving nicely.
I've got a bucket of free molasses and not enough buckets to ferment a rum at the same time so I thought I would try a mix and experiment a bit. Here's what's bubbling away.

Batch 1
40lbs bananas, 4lbs sugar (or was it 6? I forget), topped up to 6gal
This is fermenting nicely, with a huge cake I stir back in every 12 hours or

Batch 2:
60+ lbs banana, about a gallon of molasses and half the skins. Only topped up to about 7gal because I don't have enough buckets. Think I'm going to get a couple more tomorrow and dilute this batch a bit. This isn't fermenting as vigorously but seems to be going ok. I'm thinking of adding some DAP as well. How much do ya'll use when adding DAP to a molasses wash?

Most of the fruit recipes I saw only called for about 50lbs per 15gal wash but I had too damn many bananas so I ended up with more like 100lbs for 15gal (well 15 gal when I dilute a bit tomorrow). Anyone think this will be a problem?
exon
Swill Maker

Post by exon »

Fun stuff, here! :lol:

I've got a few sacks of bananas left over from a church function and must do SOMETHING with them...

Very glad to see experimenters had posted here !

...I'm wondering if 'conversion' would result in higher ABV...

...Think I'll slow boil the whole mess, then strain through a paint strainer bag before setting aside to ferment.
Will add sugar, and citric acid during the boil... got grapefruits and limes...

Tnx!
exon
I am a pathological liar and functional illiterate.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

bananas are about 12%sugars and 20% carbs so some conversation could be done.
but i thank it be best to late them do it themselves.you would have more flavor i believe.
exon
Swill Maker

Post by exon »

Dnderhead wrote:bananas are about 12%sugars and 20% carbs so some conversation could be done.
but i thank it be best to late them do it themselves.you would have more flavor i believe.
Tnx dnderhead...

I know nothing

Would that mean I should include at least some of the peelings included in the batch, and let it set on it's own for a while before cooking it down?
exon
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

let them git as "ripe" as possible before using them this is a natural proses of converting starch to sugars.
this happens with all fruit. that soft/brown banana is ripe and full of flavor.it is just for texture that we
eat unripe fruit.those "rotting" fruits that every one stick there noes up at are the ones that makes the best
for cooking as the most starches has been converted and so has the flavors.
nolawdistill
Novice

Post by nolawdistill »

yep. Put em all in brown paper bags in a warm spot and they'll ripen a lot faster. Oh and watch out when you ferment them, you get a HUGE cap on top so keep lots of headspace.
exon
Swill Maker

Post by exon »

OK, I'll just look at 'em for a few more days... Heck, I don't mind the smell of bananas in the garge! :)
...all balled up in another project anyway...
Tnx
exon
casamayor
Novice

Post by casamayor »

Hello,
It is difficult to extract juice from bananas, I tried soaking the 10 liters of rum in 10 kg of peeled banana without the skin, with my pot still very good results with a very light rum smell confirure dried banana!
Greetings
HOME RUN
Novice

Post by HOME RUN »

Hello to all. Lots of reading not so much posting. I know this is an old post but curious if anyone has done any other cooking with bananas? I've researched several post on bananas and can see some in my not too distant future. You can see what I'm working with in my first post. Thanks in advance for any input.
I ain't complaining..I started out with nuthin and still gots most of it left. Well..I do the best with what I got to work with…We ain't done yet.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Raketmensh has a current post in fruit and vegetables.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Here's a link to Raketmensh's thread - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=58248 .
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
HOME RUN
Novice

Post by HOME RUN »

Much thanks Bb and S-C. Will check it out.
I ain't complaining..I started out with nuthin and still gots most of it left. Well..I do the best with what I got to work with…We ain't done yet.
peloquin134
Novice

Post by peloquin134 »

Hey azeo !

Would you mind sharing the name of your reference/book ?
Thanks !
azeo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:29 pm had a dig around my wine books and found a couple of recipes.... one includes the skins....BananaWine-6p.gifBananaWine2-6p.gif

It's mentioned in one or the other that they can be used to add body, and also useful for clearing/fining where 2-3 brown but not rotten bananas per 4.5L are sliced in to small pieces, simmered in water for 5-10 minutes, strained through a coarse filter and added to the wine.

The skins apparently have their own natural amylase, hence the ripening I suppose. Have tried using scrapings of the white pith at various temps to see if it converts grain or potato starch, but didn't see any conversion over a range of temps up to malt conversion temps. Possbly only a slow, room temperature amylase, and maybe naturally linked to the starch in bananas, and not so suitable for grains or potato type. I don't know if freezing helps breakdown the banana mush, it may do, it does help with some fruit.veggies... I have some bananas in the freezer waiting for a rainy day to try out again sometime....

Many many years ago I made some banana wine, *and* distilled some. Can't remember much about it, but would have made cuts on a second run similar to whisky limits, while trying to make a brandy or schnapps like spirit. Do remember the flavour/aroma came over really well, and I seem to remember a "de-tuned" neutral retaining lots of aroma too. Single run would be interesting, and use of pulp in a thumper an interesting possibility too!

The yield based on fermentable sugars is said to be around 28US/gals per ton, not too bad, but explains why added sugar used, and a lot of pulp in the wash. It may be worthwhile doing a conversion step during the cooking with a bit of malt, there could well be some starch to convert, and I guess too the malt would add some needed nutrients and maybe some sort of extra influence on the flavor.

It will be great to hear how this goes!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

peloquin134 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:55 pm Hey azeo !

Thanks !
also check this thread I have going

viewtopic.php?p=7734117#p7734117
azeo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by azeo »

peloquin134 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:55 pm Hey azeo !

Thanks !
No problem, one is an early edition of CJ. Berry's First Steps in Wine Making, later one here, http://www.vb-tech.co.za/ebooks/eBook%2 ... making.pdf, and the other is Home Brewing and Winemaking for New Zealanders.

While these could be a good start for background, there's been much good discussion since, plus some things on you tube.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Banana pulp is pectinaceous! If you wish to break down the polysaccharides (pectin and starch) in banana pulp, then you'll need to choose the right pectinase, and apply it at the appropriate temperature and proper pH.

(I do not have the ideal recipe for the depectinization and clarification of banana juice; and I'm not sure if it has even been determined. But commercial juice makers have undoubtedly been working on the task, and have already increased banana juice yields).

* (Additionally: The pH of unripe bananas apparently lies between 4.4-5.2. But that quickly changes to a less acidic level (a pH of about 6.5-6.6) as the banana ripens. Adjustment is necessary for optimal fermentation).

-----------------------------------
https://studybuff.com/does-banana-have-pectin/

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/T ... 17d31ba524
Omnia mea mecum porto