Blutwurz liquor / schnapps

Sweetened spirits with various flavors

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Blutwurz liquor / schnapps

Post by Dougmatt »

I am trying to attempt to replicate a German liquor I had on a recent trip called Blutwurz. I know it’s made from the Tormentil root which I have ordered, but many documents I find indicate “other fruit juices” etc added primarily for sweetening and rounding out flavors. wondering if anyone has a recipe they can share?

Edit: the information I have suggests it’s a maceration and filter then proof down and sweeten process. I have 40g / 2L distillate as a maceration amount.

An info link in case anyone is interested: https://www.dfat.gov.au/sites/default/files/87s.docx

Doug
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Blutwurz liquor / schnapps

Post by The Baker »

My few words of German would translate that as Blood Sausage.

Which may or may not be the same as the English Black Pudding.

Which would seem to be a long way from schnapps.

Interesting...

Geoff
The Baker
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

The Baker wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:46 am My few words of German would translate that as Blood Sausage.

Which may or may not be the same as the English Black Pudding.

Which would seem to be a long way from schnapps.

Interesting...

Geoff
That would be Blutwurst :D

This schnapps is a digestive. It’s made from a root believed to have anti inflammatory properties. I’ve had a lot of “digestives” over the years, but this one made me feel better after a couple of large meals (probably in my head), and I enjoyed the taste (real reason I want to make it).

Here’s an article on tormentil as an herb if anyone is interested: https://www.drhauschka.de/en/cosmos/val ... tormentil/
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Blood root.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Those types of spirits are all the same only different. Combinations of selected botanicals steeped before and after distillation.

To get close to one, you have to identify as many ingredients as you can by tasting and by searching the net for opinions and known ingredients. Having a friend who is a super taster might help.
Sit down with a bottle and several friends and try to identify as many botanicals as you all can

Try to identify the base spirit. Is it grain or grape? How much influence does it have?

You don't have to clone it to make a fine product, you can aim to make something better.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Thanks Chris. I was hoping someone might have some specific insight as lots of searching hasn’t yielded much. This is probably the approach I will have to take. Planning to give it a go.

D

sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

There are a few recipes on German websites. The most common one seems to be a handful of tormentil root and 150 grams of sugar to a liter of base spirit at drinking proof. Some add star anis, cloves and/or cinnamon, others swear it should be tormentil, sugar, alcohol and nothing else.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Chauncey wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 pm Blood root.
Gotcha.

Thanks.

Geoff
The Baker
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

sweeps wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:06 pm There are a few recipes on German websites. The most common one seems to be a handful of tormentil root and 150 grams of sugar to a liter of base spirit at drinking proof. Some add star anis, cloves and/or cinnamon, others swear it should be tormentil, sugar, alcohol and nothing else.
Thank you!