Best yeast for molasses

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jamaicanrum
Novice

Best yeast for molasses

Post by jamaicanrum »

Im new to this, i tried to make moonshine with bakers yeast as a trial run it was the most fowl smelling thing ever, maybe i could have sold it to police for riot control!!, i think the temp was too high, really was a test run for the distiller. Anyway molasses here in jamaica is sold everywhere so i wanna try to make my own rum, what would be the best yeast? Any other advise would be great thanks.
Tater
Admin

Re: Best yeast for molasses

Post by Tater »

Most of the store bought bakers yeast was grown in a molasses medium.So that's what I use.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

jamaicanrum wrote:Im new to this, i tried to make moonshine with bakers yeast as a trial run it was the most fowl smelling thing ever, maybe i could have sold it to police for riot control!!, i think the temp was too high, really was a test run for the distiller. Anyway molasses here in jamaica is sold everywhere so i wanna try to make my own rum, what would be the best yeast? Any other advise would be great thanks.

Humm.. I use bakers yeast exclusively for my neutral ethanol and it comes out great!
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Rum recipes and procedures over in the Tried and True section -

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
I do all my own stunts
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

jamaicanrum, perhaps you could describe what we will most likely determine to be faulty practice as far as your recipe, fermentation, and distillation... Were you using unsulfured molasses...??? I truly doubt bakers yeast was to blame for the foul smell... :think:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

All of my best batches have come from bakers yeast. My least successful batches where from recommended yeasts from the brew shop......
I have yet to try the Danstill 493 however.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

you want to experiment? make a wash with molasses/water.rather light, maybe 1.035?.
sterilize (boil) separate into several sterile jars*. place a piece of ripe sugarcane in one,leave there
for about a week,,after it has fermented and settled pore off the "water" save the yeast.
use this to start a ferment and another Minny ferment. keep the "mother"jar going to propagate more.
this was "jug yeast" of long ago and a few still use it.

*the new screw top caning jars work good ,the tops work as a check valve letting it off gas.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Larry - I have looked and looked for some 493 and never been able to find any so if you find a source I'd appreciate the info. Btw, my last rum was fermented with Lalvin K1-V1116 and I was pleased with the results.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Seems only available in 500 gr packages ...
I do all my own stunts
kenfyoozed
Swill Maker

Post by kenfyoozed »

Tater wrote:Most of the store bought bakers yeast was grown in a molasses medium.So that's what I use.
I whole heartedly agree. I tried a distillers yeast and it wasnt that good for the molasses. Im sure there are yeast better than bakers yeast, but i think the bakers yeast adds a good flavor as well!
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

blind drunk wrote:Seems only available in 500 gr packages ...
I'd be happy with 500gr if I knew where to get it.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Saw it on White Labs ...

http://www.whitelabs.com/distilling/yeast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I do all my own stunts
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

My brew shop guy is lally gagin round and never orders it and never will give me a price so I got tired of askin.....er, the 493
jamaicanrum
Novice

Post by jamaicanrum »

It was moonshine i was trying to make the first time that was the one with the fowl smell, i was doing a bit of reading i now know i did wrong, had to do with the container i used to make the mash was not cleaned properly, i had put it in the kitchen and the helper had seasoned chicken in it and then washed it out and put it back in the same place, i didn't know she had done that, then i mixed i guess that was the problem.
im trying my luck on the rum now, this time the container is clean.
1.2 gallons water.
1 kg white sugar.
250 ml molasses
1 cup powdered sugar
Bakers yeast

Is this an ok mix?
well gonna see what happens now,
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

blind drunk wrote:Saw it on White Labs ...

http://www.whitelabs.com/distilling/yeast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ya, BD I've seen it there as well. I've emailed them a couple of times and they never respond.

Big R
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

You are right at the upper limit for bakers yeast as far as potential %ABV of the wash is concerned, at 14+%... You may need some additional nutrients to achieve a timely and complete ferment...
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

rtalbigr wrote:
blind drunk wrote:Saw it on White Labs ...

Ya, BD I've seen it there as well. I've emailed them a couple of times and they never respond.

Big R
Don't you just hate that ...
I do all my own stunts
jamaicanrum
Novice

Post by jamaicanrum »

1.3 gallons water.
1 kg white sugar.
250 ml molasses (from factory) grade A i guess
1 cup powdered sugar
1 banana skin choped fine.
Benjamins artificial Almond flavoring ( just a tip)
Bakers yeast
4 days fermenting
Came out great for me, good white rum, next time ill leave out powder sugar i see no need for it.
jamaicanrum
Novice

Post by jamaicanrum »

oh and ill try 1 pound sugar next time to see difference.
Fed
Novice

Post by Fed »

Hi there,

I'm new to this and have a question re yeast. I'm making a light rum, 1kg molasses, 6kg sugar, 20 ltr water and yeast. I've tried a couple, turbo, which have me great volume lousy quality (800mm at 60% :D ), bakers yeast, great qualiity, lousy volume (500mm at 40% :cry: ). Any recommendations? Do I need yeast nutrient? Made a nuetral spirit on baker yeast and got a return of 500mm at 30% :cry: what am I doing wrong??????
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

And there you have it Fed... Quality and Quantity do not go together in the hobby...
There are some great recipes in the Tried and True... section of the forum...

While your at it, drop by the Welcome Center... and introduce yourself....

Welcome to the boards.... Do you really need all those smiley's...? See you around... :ewink:
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Fed
Novice

Post by Fed »

Thanks Samohon. So I'm not doing anything wrong it's just the way it roles
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Kinda one or the other Fed.

Round here most stay away from turbos and increase volume by putting another fermenter in service.
jake_leg
Swill Maker

Post by jake_leg »

Samohon wrote:Do you really need all those smiley's...?
So it's true... Smiley Culture is dead!

Fed
Novice

Post by Fed »

LWTCS

Round here most stay away from turbos and increase volume by putting another fermenter in service.

What other fermenters are there?

Cheers
Fed
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

Fed wrote:LWTCS

What other fermenters are there?

Cheers
Fed
If your doing a 50L wash Fed, put another 50L wash on tomorrow...
You wont be long in bringing your stock levels up...

When I do an All-Grain, I get between 6 - 8%abv depending on how long I boil the wort for sterilizing purposes... :thumbup:
So I dont do just 1 AG, 3 or 4 batches combined gives me a good yield... :thumbup:

Hope it helps...
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

Anyone ever tried a combination of bakers and distillers yeast for rum. From what i read you get good flavor and a good abv.
Sarge410884
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Yeast don't give ABV they tolerate it. Too high and they stress out and shit in the soup.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Fed wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 am Hi there,

I'm new to this and have a question re yeast. I'm making a light rum, 1kg molasses, 6kg sugar, 20 ltr water and yeast. I've tried a couple, turbo, which have me great volume lousy quality (800mm at 60% :D ), bakers yeast, great qualiity, lousy volume (500mm at 40% :cry: ). Any recommendations? Do I need yeast nutrient? Made a nuetral spirit on baker yeast and got a return of 500mm at 30% :cry: what am I doing wrong??????
how light are we talking, bacardi light?
just yesterday i put about 15l of rum, that had been stripped & spirit run already, through my reflux for a 3rd distillation.
i do this for my Mojito's.
the rum taste still comes through ok, but subtle.
hearts will be bottled, feints go back into the heavy rum runs.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Sarge410884 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:41 pm Anyone ever tried a combination of bakers and distillers yeast for rum. From what i read you get good flavor and a good abv.
Sarge410884
I have not tried this. My understanding is that if you put 2 yeasts in the same ferment, unless they are very closely related, the more aggressive yeast will usually take over. I use a 2 yeast protocol on a high Abv, high residual sugar wine I make where I pitch the slow low fermenter (use a few different one) early, then a couple days later I pitch ec1118 to finish it. This does create a better flavor profile in that wine, but if I pitch 1118 day 1 I cant tell the difference from a 1118 wine. So if you want to try this, pitch the bakers first, then the Dady I would think.

That said, I don’t push anything I’m going to distill to high Abv as I have gotten off flavors and smells when I did. I’ve never used a turbo, but heard enough to avoid them. I use Dady (sugar wash and AG) and bakers (rum) most of the time unless it’s a fruit wash then I use wine yeast.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!