GIN spirit run in POT sill mode operation

Moderator: Site Moderator

tarz
Novice

GIN spirit run in POT sill mode operation

Post by tarz »

Hello!

I plan to distill my macerated gin. Background info for this, I made a 95% neutral Birdwatchers that I then dilluted and put the botanicals in and it´s sitting now at around 40%.

My still is a hybrid in the sense that all the pipes and pieces are with triclamp connectors and I can run the still in either a LM reflux still mode or a POT still mode. I´m adding a picture of the still in pot still mode. NB! Keep in mind it´s just to give a visualization of what I mean, the picture was taken during a stripping run.

When I´m running it in POT still mode for the GIN run, should I add any packing at all into the column or just leave it completly empty? Is there any benefit to adding packing during a spirit run?
IMG_4784.jpeg
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: GIN spirit run in POT sill mode operation

Post by Oatmeal »

No packing.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
tarz
Novice

Post by tarz »

Thanks! :)
DB1986
Novice

Post by DB1986 »

Hi Tarz how did you go about measuring the abv % of your diluted and finished gin what did you use to get the abv reading?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I just put one roll of copper mesh to make sure there's copper in the vapour path.
-- Rrmuf
SouthwestAl
Novice

Post by SouthwestAl »

If your GNS is good, and you have already made the cuts on it, so it's 'finished' product, then you should just run it in pot still config. Running any sort of reflux or packing defeats the aim of all the maceration you have done, as you want all those flavours getting into the product.

Just IMO, of course, but I would run it, take a small cut for the oily part at the beginning (assuming your GNS is cut already) and when output drops to about 70% abv, start tasting for tails, as you probably won't want to go much below 65%, subject to your botanicals, some of which might appear at lower abvs in the 60-65% range.
SOUTHWEST DESTILARIA DE BEBIDAS LTDA
CNPJ: 37.412.594/0001-58
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

20 batches of gin in, using a good GNS, I have not missed out on any flavour with my one roll of copper in the vapour path. The gin run usually starts in the low 80% and drops to 60s% by the time I'm done. I use the Odin Easy Gin method (see tried and true) and judge my end of run based on the volume extracted. I.e. 40% of the boiler volume. I have extracted up to 45% that resulted in excellent gins but I really keep my cuts small between 40 and 45% BY VOLUME.
-- Rrmuf