Outlaw distiller introduces himself

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

PonuPeikko
Novice

Outlaw distiller introduces himself

Post by PonuPeikko »

Hi all,
Home distiller here. I've been practicing since early 90s, learning from my uncle. Just joined to change ideas and learn new tricks. Mainly I do wines, beer and as a hobbyist bee keeper also meads. But I do have few stills, from humble airstill to t500 and to a larger barrel still. Mostly I distil gin in airstill and use larger ones very periodically (largest one ain't even at my house but in my summer cottage). During last few years I've been tagling on making brandy and next summer I plan on trying few rums. In 90s I did loads of pontikka (finnish style vodka) but these days I only do neutral to make gin. One of the biggest reasons to not do stuff in scale is the simple fact that you can only drink so much by your self and selling is asking for trouble around these parts of the world.
Hoping to learn from you all and perhaps give my own small contribution in the process.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Outlaw distiller introduces himself

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Ponu.
You might notice a small change to your first post.
In our view 30 gallons or 113.5 L and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.
It might pay to have a quick look at the forum rules before proceeding to much further.
app.php/rules
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome!
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

Welcome!

Am i right in understanding that you are in Finland?

If so:
Tervetulua!
Do you ever do all grain? A distilled Sahti would make a wonderful whiskey, IMO :)

If not:
Ignore the above, and Welcome (again) :D
PonuPeikko
Novice

Post by PonuPeikko »

tommysb wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:29 am Welcome!

Am i right in understanding that you are in Finland?

If so:
Tervetulua!
Do you ever do all grain? A distilled Sahti would make a wonderful whiskey, IMO :)
Yup, from Finland :)

And I haven't tried distilling sahti yet, but it would work due to traditionally not using any hops. Traditionally sahti has had either juniper branches / needles or yarrow as "spices". I wouldn't want to distil yarrow either, would most likely make quite a bitter whiskey :D I have how ever distilled 100% rye "beer" and it came out nicely. Didn't age it though but I drank it as non-aged spirit. Had bit of a kick. Perhaps something to try out in future.