taters rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

taters rum

Post by Tater »

was asked to repost this recipe .2 gallons feed molasses 20 lbs cane sugar to a 15 gallon wash. Should make 3 gallons of 100 -110 . in 3 gallon carboy add 1-2 cups caramelized sugar .1 cup your favorite sherry 4 0z honey .1oz of vanilla .let set few months to a year. I sometimes add 10 -20 peppercorns and a charred 1in x1in x 10 in or so white oak When I add the wood age at least 6 months .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: taters rum

Post by 8Ball »

Tater,
When I get caught up & the weather gets hot, I’m going to scale this down and give it a go.
Thanks. :thumbup:
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I played with this recipe to make a rum that I like in coke. As a rule I don't drink sodas so if ya see me with a glass coke .It will have a lil rum in it :wink:
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

I like the pepper corn idea. Have been doing that along with other flavorings in the few rum batches I have made. Like what black pepper corn brings.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Tater wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:22 pm was asked to repost this recipe .2 gallons feed molasses 20 lbs cane sugar to a 15 gallon wash. Should make 3 gallons of 100 -110 . in 3 gallon carboy add 1-2 cups caramelized sugar .1 cup your favorite sherry 4 0z honey .oz of vanilla .let set few months to a year. I sometimes add 10 -20 peppercorns and a charred 1in x1in x 10 in or so white oak When I add the wood age at least 6 months .
Thanks Tater. Can you clarify the quantity of vanilla? Says “ .oz of vanilla”. Is that a typo and if not, what does that mean?

D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

That was 1 oz of vanilla liquid,
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Thank you for (re) sharing.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!