The benefit of gathering in person

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

The benefit of gathering in person

Post by RockinRockies »

(Edit* to conform with rules I inadvertently missed, I edited the name of this member. Sorry mods. He told me it would be ok but I didn't realize that was an issue. Updated now)

...a member on this forum, reached out because he's in the same region and offered to get together. I want to first say thank you, for your time and input. I've learned a few very critical notes from his time spent mentoring us, for lack of a better descriptor.

My biggest takeaway:
Get in person with others in the hobby so you can discuss everything in real time and bounce perceptions off each other, in real time. Wow! I can't express enough how much this is a game changer. Without the sensory inputs and being able to bounce that off each other in person, it's difficult to understand the full scope of the art.

Everyone on here knows I'm not terse. however, I'm pretty impressed with all of members guidance so I'll try to keep this short, but I have a lot of lessons learned I want to share. We just got schooled in a really big and healthy way.. It was pretty awesome. Some of it I've read here and has been drilled home constantly here, but apparently I didn't actually implement the basics.

1. Fermentation and yeast health is foundational. He was able, with his years of brewing experience, to pick apart our hiccups. They are plentiful. Much more care is needed to invest in fermentation. SBB and other O.G.'s on this site have driven this home repeatedly. There is no substitute for proper brew day. The difference between our products and his were junior varsity vs Tom Brady. No joke.
His distillate was cleaner, more robust, more flavorful, not grungy at all... And the rye.. dang! I'd pay good money for his rye, and it wasn't even 18 months old.

2. Good cuts aged correctly can still produce a phenomenal product. The rye he brought provided the insight me and my buddy have been missing. I thought, super wide and funky to get complexity. Well the rye he made disproves that big time.

3. Takeoff speeds. I kept misunderstanding this. For some reason my brain kept thinking " how long it takes to start producing" not the rate at which you produce. Just like SBB and still stirrin and Been proved, we're running way too fast.

4. Reference sample proofed down for blending. This was something I don't ever recall reading here but what an awesome reference point. Take a clear hearts jar. Proof down. Now take edge jars and proof down. Do all the olfactory comparisons. It makes cuts way more relatable and sets a benchmark for quality. I never thought to do it.

5. Yeast is critical. Bread yeast and DADY are unsatisfactory for producing the best quality possible. Yes, they make good stuff, but it's clear that ale yeast is king. This might be a point of contention but after side by side comparisons, that bread yeast Dady combo was evident every time. Yeast matters. Pay for the right yeast.

5. Ego. This one is tough for me because I'm arrogant and confident.. Big time. Here I was thinking I can make great stuff (even with our recent unsatisfactory results) and I'm talking smack like I'm some great booze making guru. NOPE. Not only am I not, but I'm much farther away from producing greatness than I imagined. It was a definitely needed humble pie and thank God he is a cool dude, because he provided great feedback and insight without being harsh about it.

I feel like I learned more today in person with another hobbyist who knows his Sh*t than I have after 5 years of reading and doing it from the forums. I would highly recommend getting in person with others because this hobby needs that. This might be cringe but we're making spirits and the spirit is what bonds us, whatever that may be.

This is a cool place with great people and this was there best day I've had since I began making spirits. Thanks Dude!
Last edited by RockinRockies on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: The benefit of gathering in person

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Meeting up with other distillers has always been an excellent experience for me. An hour of talking in person next to a running still is worth many many hours of reading and researching.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That was an awfully nice write up.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm Meeting up with other distillers has always been an excellent experience for me. An hour of talking in person next to a running still is worth many many hours of reading and researching.
It sure would be nice if home distillation was legal.
There's nothing I'd like better than to visit other folks still house.
If you came to mine, I'd share liquor, knowledge and likely give away some of my Frankenstein equipment. :lol:
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

This forum has already introduced me to a guy who's close. We now email back and forth and hope to get together soon.
He has a lot to offer me. I'm very grateful.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

I gather and text back and forth with other local wine makers pretty frequently. Haven’t yet figured out how to connect with folks active in this hobby, but your message is inspiring me to figure it out. Great write up, and agree that so much more information, knowledge and growth occurs f2f.

D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Great outcome RockinRockies
Sounds like a real win all round .

I remember my first meet . Not being the most social type , it was really daunting .
Turned out to be one of the best things I ever did .

If ever any of you get the chance …. do it .
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

shadylane wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:20 pm
Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 pm Meeting up with other distillers has always been an excellent experience for me. An hour of talking in person next to a running still is worth many many hours of reading and researching.
It sure would be nice if home distillation was legal.
There's nothing I'd like better than to visit other folks still house.
If you came to mine, I'd share liquor, knowledge and likely give away some of my Frankenstein equipment. :lol:
If I ever set foot in Merica, you are my first stop.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I had a good time as well, and learned a lot. I was really shocked by how easy it was to pick up the yeast in the final product. I had been meaning to do side by sides on this for a while but now I don't think it's necessary, bread yeast dominated the mid palate for me and I was able to find a common thread in the sampling session we did. It makes me want to push my yeast experiments a little harder, and branch out more... much more effect on final product than I anticipated.

I got confirmation about the difference in flavors between different aging methods, IE oak sticks vs barrels, there is definitely a noticeable difference in profiles between the two. It makes me want to fill more, bigger barrels!

It turns out I like molasses a lot better in distillate than I expected to, dark pitted fruits, raisins, baked goods. Being able to taste a wide variety of stuff was a real treat.

It was cool to see bubble caps, and compare them to my normal perf plate experience, also neat to see an 8" column producing. The throughput was pretty incredible. And it it was really fulfilling to help you get everything dialed in and help drive it during the run. I think what came off of it yesterday was very good... but now my 4" seems so puny and slow!

I really enjoyed being able to compare what I was getting in the nose off the still with other distillers. It was a great lesson in perception and vocabulary.

I am also pretty introverted and it was difficult to push myself into something like this. But it was really rewarding. Hopefully we can do it again at some point.
:)
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Excellent write-up, and I’m envious of you for getting the opportunity. I’d love to be able to spend some time with somebody far more experienced than myself. As has been said before, it’s a crying shame that we have to be so careful and reclusive. This forum is probably the closest thing I’ll get to hanging out with some of you guys, and I’m thankful for the opportunity.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Post by n_plains_drifter »

RR,

Great recap of what sounds like an epic event. I think you outline the overarching benefit: sharing the passion we have for the craft with others in what is normally a solitary hobby.

Regrettably, the portion of my life spent on the Front Range/Western Slope is receding in the rearview mirror. That said, I've got locals who would love to put me up if another opportunity arises and I were fortunate enough to get an invite.

That said, anybody here reside in the Northern Plains? Snow's deep and getting deeper! (Unfortunately without the vertical relief to make best use of same...)

Drifter
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Good thread and write-up..

The hobby doesn't need to be legal in order to assist / guide others in person.. one just has to be open to doing so..

I've being doing so for yrs at my place or their, guiding/assisting, be building, fermenting or stilling, over a one day and even had a few 3 days ones..

There's no better way to understand the important of fermenting, what the different still design/style are, which one would best suit the person's needs, or operating them went seen first hand or hands on..

Not only does the person develop understanding better, but by communication the info, I also catch myself expanding in further understanding..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm Not only does the person develop understanding better, but by communication the info, I also catch myself expanding in further understanding..
That’s quite true. In my professional life, I’ve trained quite a few people. I realized at some point that I was honing my own knowledge by trying to explain things to someone else. So much so that I’ve started taking a relatively proficient trainee and turning the tables, asking them to “train” me. It’s impressive what that can do for someone.

I’ve even found that here. A few times, I’ve started to answer some question, only to realize that in trying to explain it, I don’t understand the issue well enough myself. So I deleted my answer and did more research.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Steve Broady wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:56 pm
StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm Not only does the person develop understanding better, but by communication the info, I also catch myself expanding in further understanding..
That’s quite true. In my professional life, I’ve trained quite a few people. I realized at some point that I was honing my own knowledge by trying to explain things to someone else. So much so that I’ve started taking a relatively proficient trainee and turning the tables, asking them to “train” me. It’s impressive what that can do for someone.

I’ve even found that here. A few times, I’ve started to answer some question, only to realize that in trying to explain it, I don’t understand the issue well enough myself. So I deleted my answer and did more research.
The highest and most effective form of learning IMO is teaching. Drives a much higher degree of retention as well. My wife did her thesis on peer tutoring and I am sold.

Here’s a brief write up on the concept. https://www.educationcorner.com/the-lea ... ramid.html
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I've been lucky enough to meet about a dozen of you guys face to face...

Odin, Pint-o-shine, Still_stirrin, Bushman, all the Stilldragon U.S. guys, ... drinks and good times, not one turd among em.

I appreciate Still_stirrin and entourage drops by couple times a year and we have a great visit.

If you get a chance, met up!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

DAD300 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:19 pm I've been lucky enough to meet about a dozen of you guys face to face...

Odin, Pint-o-shine, Still_stirrin, Bushman, all the Stilldragon U.S. guys, ... drinks and good times, not one turd among em.

I appreciate Still_stirrin and entourage drops by couple times a year and we have a great visit.

If you get a chance, met up!
I also enjoyed our time together years ago.