All grain wheat vodka

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

All grain wheat vodka

Post by Teddysad »

All-grain Wheat vodka with Enzymes
Where I am, wheat is plentiful and inexpensive. Sugar is not grown here and hence is imported and processed here. With the former costing close to 1/3 that of the latter, it makes sense to go “natural” where I can.

For this I recommend a one-step unit such a RoboBrew or BrewZilla or Grainfather. An option is a large pot with a brew in a bag system. It requires the ability to monitor and hold temperature and to drain the grains.
I find that high temperature liquid enzymes are the best method.
Ingredients
5kg crushed and milled feed grade Wheat
High temperature liquid amylase enzyme (mine works best at 85 to 90C) and glucoamylase
PH adjustment (potassium bicarb is the best to raise with citric acid to lower.
Iodine for starch test (can be bought at pharmacy look for Betadine drops)
Yeast of choice BUT NOT TURBO
I put multiple mash runs into a 60 or 100l fermenter although you can use a single 30l fermenter for a single run – work with what you have.
In the boiler bring 20 litres of water to 90C. add 1 to 3 ml of liquid amylase ( depends on your particular brew) into the water. Insert the malt pipe (or bag) add the wheat slowly and stirring well to prevent dough balls forming. Check the pH and adjust to 5.5 to 6.0
The temperature will drop so let it and hold it at around 85 for at least 60 minutes, stirring frequently. The enzyme will prevent the wheat from turning into a solid porridge.
After 60 minutes allow the mix to slowly cool down keeping the stirring going.
A starch test with the iodine should show no starches are left and they have all been converted to sugars. At around the 60C mark adjust the pH to around 5.0 and add 3 ml of the second enzyme (gluco).
Keep stirring frequently and let sit for 30 minutes.
Now lift the malt pipe and allow the liquid to drain into the boiler.
This is your fermentable liquid with all the starches from the grains now in sugar form in the liquid.
If doing a single mash run. Rinse the wheat with 5 litres of hot water (called sparging)
Drain from the boiler, add to the fermenter, cool to under 30C and pitch your preferred yeast. I currently use the Angel Red Label.
If all has gone well your SG in the fermenter will be around 1.060 to 1.065 (If a little low feel free to add a little sugar to boost it)

Multiple runs
Now this is where the liftable malt pipe comes into its own.
To start the next run, fill the Robobrew with another 20l of water. However pour it in through the drained grains, still in the lifted malt pipe (or bag) . This, (called sparging) rinses the remaining sugars still sticking to the grains.
You are then starting the second and subsequent “cook” with already partly sweetened water
Once this new lot of water has drained , the grains (now spent) can be emptied. (I have local farmers who take them for stock feed)
The malt pipe is then lowered into the boiling chamber ready for the next lot of fresh wheat to be added. Bring water temperature up to 90C and repeat the exercise.
These runs can be added to the fermenter until you have enough to 80% fill the fermenter.
You can then (once temperature has cooled) add the yeast of your choice
Allow to ferment dry (under 1.000)
Strip run - multiple runs if needed -
Then spirit run through your reflux still.

Note pH I have found pH adjustment is unnecessary especially with the Angel Red. This is very pH tolerant and fast fermenmting. With other yeasts (which may be slower) the oyster / sea/eggshell method of buffering the ferment may assist.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7