Modifying my homebrew boil kettle

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RickyNZ
Novice

Modifying my homebrew boil kettle

Post by RickyNZ »

After joining the forum end of last year I think I have finally got round to doing stuff after much reading and waiting for parts etc.

I have an ePTFE seal under the lid rim and then I 3d printed the clamps to seal the lid.

The lockdown here left me with the only option to print something and I had a limited range of bolts.

I will probably use a single wing bolt or nut design later but these seal the lid well.
The lid on this pot is a little thin to support side loads on the column but in my shed the colum can easially be supported taking stress off the tri clamps etc

The boiler has a 4.5KW 240V denord element from aliexpress which has worked well for a few years of homebrew beer.
I took the sight glass off the pot for the sacrificial run after the vinegar run caused the liquid to rise a bit due to very slight back preassure from the column which would push liquid out the top of the sight gauge. That only happened when I really pushed it. The gauge had an unknown to me aluminum part that beer wort had eaten too. I have a better one on the way but hopefully I can plumb the top back to the boiler to equalise preassure.

The pot is 50L which is plenty for me beer brewing but I get the feeling a bit bigger might be useful for distilling one day.

The pot had weldless fittings in it setup for brewing so an in/out and a whirlpool port both with ball valves.
20200413_102906.jpg
20200413_102911.jpg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Modifying my homebrew boil kettle

Post by acfixer69 »

I like those clamps. I'm looking for something like that. I've been waiting on china post but going to write them off. Would like to find some for my new boiler. I have used the ePTFE rope and like it. Works with squeeze clamps but wan something more positive. For the clamps the rope is fine.
RickyNZ
Novice

Post by RickyNZ »

I can put the files for those clamps up on thingiverse later if they are useful for anyone else to print and they are easy to change for different pots by a couple of numbers
I drew/coded them in openscad so free software.
montyjb
Novice

Post by montyjb »

I'd like the information on printing those clamps as well. Thanks
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

How do they handle the heat?
At work they have been printing things in PLA and thermo moulding afterwards in less than boiling water .

Cool idea though . :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm How do they handle the heat?
At work they have been printing things in PLA and thermo moulding afterwards in less than boiling water .

I was wondering the same thing Yummy. The one thing I miss in retirement is not having access to a 3D printer and CNC machine.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Maybe petg could hold up and still be easy to print. I imagine pla would soften pretty quick with the heat.
RickyNZ
Novice

Post by RickyNZ »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm How do they handle the heat?

Sorry about the delay to reply. I've been busy.
I printed them as 100% fill ABS, I did thicken the top bits up a bit and printed new ones but no signs of heat damage.
It's probably close to ABS temperature limits but it is surviving fine so far

I am building a new printer that I have been building to use even higher temperature plastics like polycarbonate but ABS can print on most printers
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I use these, a classic, they work very well
Cattura 1.PNG
Or these, a slightly less powerful spring but they work
Cattura 2.PNG
Old Bloater
Novice

Post by Old Bloater »

Hi, I'm thinking of doing something similar. I also "all grain" brew I've got a 10 gallon aluminum saucepan with 2 elements and a 4 gallon burco, both with lids. In both cases, the elements are above the bottom level of the boilers so I thought perhaps a sight glass might be sensible so I don't run it with the elements above the liquid and cause overheating damage.
I also wondered about the sort of pressure there are in the boiler when it's running and considered some sort of clip/toggle clamp would be necessary to keep the lid on (and support more fully the column), and even some sort of seal so steam didn't escape.
Am I along the right lines? Is the lid seal important?
Thanks
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Old Bloater wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:00 am Is the lid seal important?

All seals matter.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Old Bloater
Novice

Post by Old Bloater »

Ok thanks, yes I assumed it needed to be vapour proof.
Terrenum
Novice

Post by Terrenum »

Hey folks,
Writing here as I am struggling to seal my boil kettle properly, or at least that's what it seems based on yields I have been getting... I assume I am losing some sweet stuff.

I used the paperclip above all around the kettle but I do not have a seal. I am thinking of using a high temp food grade silicon tubing that are used in brewing equipment. They are safe up to 500c. I was thinking of cutting one open and wrap around the kettle. For the joint I could do flour paste if necessary.

Has anyone done a seal out of high temp beer tubing?

Cheers
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

It's easy enough to use soft bread dough.
Include some salt and some olive oil.
Roll it out long with a rest here and there.

Geoff
The Baker
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Terrenum wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:12 am Hey folks,
Writing here as I am struggling to seal my boil kettle properly, or at least that's what it seems based on yields I have been getting... I assume I am losing some sweet stuff.

I used the paperclip above all around the kettle but I do not have a seal. I am thinking of using a high temp food grade silicon tubing that are used in brewing equipment. They are safe up to 500c. I was thinking of cutting one open and wrap around the kettle. For the joint I could do flour paste if necessary.

Has anyone done a seal out of high temp beer tubing?

Cheers
The beer line tubing is more than likely, “vinyl”. And even if it was silicone, like surgical tubing, it isn’t good for the job.

I use PTFE plumbers tape. Get the wide stuff if you can find it. Then, just tape the pot edge and your lid will seal to it. Use as many binder clips as you can around the edge and it hold fine. And I use the small binder clips because they fit on the edge better than the big ones. And with enough of them, they’ll hold plenty of internal pressure.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
TheoMedic
Novice

Post by TheoMedic »

Has anyone found a clamp that would seal a 20 gallon kettle lid with a 4” column in the center? I’m hoping to upgrade to a larger size from my Mash & Boil with the copper dome. I want to make a few runs to try to fill a 5 gallon barrel with a bourbon, they make a stout to put in the barrel after a couple years aging!

Cheers!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

TheoMedic wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:41 am Has anyone found a clamp that would seal a 20 gallon kettle lid with a 4” column in the center? I’m hoping to upgrade to a larger size from my Mash & Boil with the copper dome. I want to make a few runs to try to fill a 5 gallon barrel with a bourbon, they make a stout to put in the barrel after a couple years aging!

Cheers!
I am a visual person, what is the diameter of your kettle lid and how tall is the 4” column. I am wondering if the lid is strong enough to carry a 4” reflux column.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I built this system on the steam jacket. I thought it might serve as an idea...
Attachments
IMG_20240203_182243.jpg
IMG_20240203_182204.jpg