Hillbilly Propane Flame Scorch preventative

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

squigglefunk
Trainee

Hillbilly Propane Flame Scorch preventative

Post by squigglefunk »

in a pinch if you're having issues with scorching, a flat top griddle plate on top of your propane burner makes a pretty spiffy interface between a raw blue flame and the delicate bottom of your boiler... :wink:

it takes a while to heat up but it gives a nice gentle, even heat. This is for flat bottomed girls, not keg stills I suppose...
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hillbilly Propane Flame Scorch preventative

Post by Deplorable »

I have a .250" thick T6063 aluminum plate I use on my burner as a dissapator when Im cooking a small mash in my 28 quart stock pot. It does work very well.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

A plate also works well between the flat pot and the stove element as a diffuser leveling out the cycling of the stove..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:07 pm I have a .250" thick T6063 aluminum plate I use on my burner as a dissapator when Im cooking a small mash in my 28 quart stock pot. It does work very well.
I tried an aluminum plate from my work, I bet it was only 1/8" thick ... it melted like a piece of american cheese all over my burner LOL...

thankfully I was able to break it off when it cooled down.

The flat top griddle thing is just something I have laying around gathering dust during the winter and it worked pretty well in the heat of the moment.
Last edited by squigglefunk on Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:30 pm A plate also works well between the flat pot and the stove element as a diffuser leveling out the cycling of the stove..

Mars
good call, makes sense :thumbup:

I think I have also seen people put a small still in a bigger pot of water on the stove like a hillbilly bain marie and I'd imagine that helps even out the heat cycling too
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Great advice guys🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.