Booner's Casual Corn Mashing

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NoFeedback
Novice

Booner's Casual Corn Mashing

Post by NoFeedback »

I am working on Booner's Casual All Corn T&T recipe. I don't seem to get the same productivity but I was more careful with pH measurement temperature and upped the grain bill to get to 9% on my last run so that seems decent.

I did notice that the bottom of the remaining trub seemed to have spoiled (darker colors) when I was cleaning out the fermentation buckets. Should I toss the run? The run didn't seem very productive or with any high quality period of hearts.

Also, I start with 21.5 G water and 50 # of cracked corn. I get 15.25 G of fermented volume, off of the grain. I rack off 11.33 G into my still before getting into the trub. Do others dump all the yeast trub into the still?

Thank you,

Mike
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Booner's Casual Corn Mashing

Post by Newtothis »

I use the mop bucket with a mash bag to squeeze the trub, usually will put that in a glass carboy and let it sit and separate. Sometimes I will just toss that in the still though without separating. Depends on how I’m feeling really. It’s kind of a pain the the ass.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You need to do the work of squeezin the grains to get the rest of the wort, then let it clear and settle the finings.
My all corn runs were 50# in 23 gallons of water, OG of 1.063. I recovered over 21 gallons of clear beer for the still. Recycling the feints on each run, I got 6 gallons of 59% ABV from 3 fermenters to fill a 5 gallon barrel and gallon jugs.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Are you running single distillations through a pot still? If so that's why your hearts are narrow.
:)
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

NoFeedback wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:21 amto get to 9% on my last run so that seems decent.
that is decent , no problem there IMO
Do others dump all the yeast trub into the still?
that's up to you what to distill or not, on grain/off grain, if your still will allow it. IF I were to do it "on the grains", I would use all the grains, not just the trub after letting it settle. In fact, no settling, everything from the fermenter right into the still.

If you're worried about the volume of beer you are getting then that's also up to you depending on how much you want to squeeze/wring/whatever.
NoFeedback
Novice

Post by NoFeedback »

I have two water heater elements about one inch off of the bottom of the still so I won't be able to distill with all of that grain in the still.