Peated single malt

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StuNY
Bootlegger

Re: Peated single malt

Post by StuNY »

How fine are you all grinding your malts? I get a pretty consistent 1.060-1.062 SG using 2lb/gallon of Golden Promise/Peated malts. I grind mine pretty fine though- maybe makes a difference? Also mashing at 148f in insulated pail.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Quite fine the same grind I use for my beer and I'm usually between 80-85% with the beer. I was too warm and it may be the grain I am using a new supplier as where I usually get my supplies are in Buffalo and I can't cross the border, anyway this was from Poland I had no idea they peated grain in Poland.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Had to give this a go so I started mine yesterday evening. Damn ! What a great smell. SOH wants to make barley soup now. Hung around all evening. Pitched this afternoon after crashing the temp and aerating. I used a Scottish ale yeast for the heck of it. Let’s see where that goes - also fermenting on grain so there was some small changes in the procedure, i.e. no sparging needed. I hit my numbers at 1.064 on a 10 gal mash and off to the rodeo.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Ok need some help here. I ran this and bottled it with some used bourbon oak cubes the first two jars were wonderful but now there is a Vomit smell and slight taste. All the jars should be the same as the first two as it all came from the same pot after dilution.
Not sure how to fix this after 6 months.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I have been running the recipe for a while now and have not had the above ^^^ problem again.
I have made some changes though.
I am using 14lbs Bairds Heavy Peated Malt exclusively for the malt but still adding the pound of oats with 7 gallons of water.
I have been mashing and fermenting in my 10-gallon Rubbermaid "trash can" lined with a brew in a bag, bag.
When the ferment is done I hoist the bag out and let it drain overnight.
When distilling I have been keeping the controller at half power and not have had any more puking problems.
I am still using the coffee filters on the collection jars and getting way into the tails with this technique to the point where I would have to say I am able to use all of the tails without any issues.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Do you drink commercial peated Whiskey?
How does the homemade version compare?
Is it just crazy over the top peat monster?
The reason I ask, there really aren't any young peated whiskeys on the shelf, I wondered whether they just suck for 8 years or if there's some other reason?
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

tombombadil wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:21 am Do you drink commercial peated Whiskey?
How does the homemade version compare?
Is it just crazy over the top peat monster?
The reason I ask, there really aren't any young peated whiskeys on the shelf, I wondered whether they just suck for 8 years or if there's some other reason?
Besides these:

"Octomore 6 Year Old (Rest & Be Thankful, 2007) – Part of Bruichladdich’s “Super Heavily Peated” Octomore range, this one comes with peat, peat and more peat. It really does take a peat lover to enjoy this, but if you give yourself time to adjust to the smokiness you will start to detect a whole world of fruity and oaky notes.

Old Pulteney 7 Year Old (Three Rivers, 2006) – A cracking 7 Year Old that was bottled by The Whisky Agency and Japanese indie bottler Three Rivers, specifically for the Japanese market. It is fresh, flavourful and has a nice finish that keeps you coming back for more.

Talisker 5 Year Old (Kingsbury, 2008) – Aged in a bourbon cask for just 5 years, this Talisker combines notes of oak and hints pepper and chilli with the maritime flavours that you would expect from the Skye based distillery. The result is a delightful whisky that succeeds in taking you on a journey from still to glass."
I reckon Laphroaigh Qarter cask is aged in, quarter casks for a shorter period, like between 4-8 years. Cant remember exactly. Something very noticable is that the younger ones are more heavy on the peat... :) Maybe a 3 year old peated whisky would be to much smoke and ash to be enjoyed?
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill