Best Stripping run so far

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

Re: Best Stripping run so far

Post by bcook608 »

sadie33 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:41 am
still_stirrin wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 am
sadie33 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:44 amDoes stopping and starting it mess with my heads/ hearts and tails? Just curious. I don't plan on doing this again, but I guess sometimes it happens.
Didn’t you pull the heads when you started the run? So, for the most part those fractions are gone, right? But, you haven’t gotten to the tails yet, have you? So those are still in your boiler. It’s really that simple.

If you read the forums a while, you’ll understand these issues making your questions redundant. I don’t mean to say, “don’t ask”. Rather, that many, if not all of your questions have already been asked and answered many times. If you spend time reading, you’ll learn a lot more and in a more timely manner than asking a bunch of questions.
ss
Thank you. When you ask if I pulled heads already, the answer is yes. I also tossed my fores from my stripping run, yet I have to toss them again in my spirit run (and at a higher quantity). I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that had to be done EVERY time.(tossing fores). I looked up starting and stopping a run and couldn't find my answer.

I am reading and taking notes. I find the site hard to navigate. I am still learning that. I read something somewhere, then can't find it again. It is very frustrating. As I read, I take notes. BUT, you don't always know what is important when you FIRST read it so I don't write it down. THEN I read something else and I'm like....oh, that WAS important, but trying to find it again takes me a while.

I am also a little nervous doing my first stripping run and I guess sometimes I just like a little assurance, maybe I shouldn't do that. I know the site discourages spoon feeding.

I am learning with each run and my confidence is building. This site and all of you are amazing and I really do appreciate your time and advice. :thumbup:
One thing you can do if you think you'll need to revisit a thread is to bookmark it. There's a little button near the top of the thread with a wrench on it. Click that and you'll see the option to bookmark.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

sadie33 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:44 am
NZChris wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:11 pm I don't, and I don't believe that there is a good reason to.
thank you.

Does stopping and starting it mess with my heads/ hearts and tails? Just curious. I don't plan on doing this again, but I guess sometimes it happens.
I'm pretty sure I said what I meant. Do you want me to rephrase it in case I meant something else?

I have heard at least one other poster saying that they take another foreshot after restarting a flavored product spirit run, but I believe that their logic was flawed and that the final spirit run collection needed the extra 'foreshot' that they insisted should be removed.

Without the stop/start & extra foreshot, the flavors removed would have been included in the product and are part of the usual flavor profile expected for that product.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:17 pm
sadie33 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:44 amDoes stopping and starting it mess with my heads/ hearts and tails? Just curious. I don't plan on doing this again, but I guess sometimes it happens.
Didn’t you pull the heads when you started the run? So, for the most part those fractions are gone, right? But, you haven’t gotten to the tails yet, have you? So those are still in your boiler. It’s really that simple.

If you read the forums a while, you’ll understand these issues making your questions redundant. I don’t mean to say, “don’t ask”. Rather, that many, if not all of your questions have already been asked and answered many times. If you spend time reading, you’ll learn a lot more and in a more timely manner than asking a bunch of questions.
ss
thanks. I didn't know you could do that. I'm not very good with computers. Once I do that, how do I find it again?

Thank you. When you ask if I pulled heads already, the answer is yes. I also tossed my fores from my stripping run, yet I have to toss them again in my spirit run (and at a higher quantity). I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that had to be done EVERY time.(tossing fores). I looked up starting and stopping a run and couldn't find my answer.

I am reading and taking notes. I find the site hard to navigate. I am still learning that. I read something somewhere, then can't find it again. It is very frustrating. As I read, I take notes. BUT, you don't always know what is important when you FIRST read it so I don't write it down. THEN I read something else and I'm like....oh, that WAS important, but trying to find it again takes me a while.

I am also a little nervous doing my first stripping run and I guess sometimes I just like a little assurance, maybe I shouldn't do that. I know the site discourages spoon feeding.

I am learning with each run and my confidence is building. This site and all of you are amazing and I really do appreciate your time and advice. :thumbup:
One thing you can do if you think you'll need to revisit a thread is to bookmark it. There's a little button near the top of the thread with a wrench on it. Click that and you'll see the option to bookmark.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

sadie33 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:37 am
bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:17 pm

ss
thanks. I didn't know you could do that. I'm not very good with computers. Once I do that, how do I find it again?

You'll have to go to your username at the top right of the screen, click "User control panel", then "Manage bookmarks"
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Looking at lagavulin and Laphroaig they strip til 0.1% out the spot, 25% abv low wines.

I'm going to try and aim for those numbers for peated whiskeys anyway. ;)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

You'll have to go to your username at the top right of the screen, click "User control panel", then "Manage bookmarks"
[/quote]

Thanks!! That will be so useful!