How does the ultimate 2" pot still head look like for maximum flavour with no regard to speed,?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rumhead
Novice

How does the ultimate 2" pot still head look like for maximum flavour with no regard to speed,?

Post by Rumhead »

Hi,. Iam building i a highly modular stil thats both an VM-E-ARC, LM/RLM still head and also pot still head for maximum usability.

The ARC parg are in finished next after that is a proper 2" still head, designed for maximun flavour and NOT speed. It will be used for rum but i want NO complications in stilling exactly what i want to distill.

Im mainly going to do rum but also brandy, grapps in my pothead. .I slmost for forgot gin!!

What kinds om designs to you propose?

Ps, Im no noobie just was all in in the vodka businesss. .

Best wishes
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How does the ultimate 2" pot still head look like for maximum flavour with no regard to speed,?

Post by Steve Broady »

If it were me, I’d go all tri-clamps, enough of a riser to get your condenser to whatever height you need it, a couple 90 degree bends, and a Liebig condenser. With a little care and forethought, you can build a Liebig that has a tri-clamp flange on the input end. I just build one to go from 1.5” TC, 3/4” over 1/2” copper, about 30” long. I haven’t used it yet, but I can tell you that it was a cinch to build, looks beautiful, and just pouring water through the jacket during a quick steam cleaning did a really impressive job knocking down the vapor.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How does the ultimate 2" pot still head look like for maximum flavour with no regard to speed,?

Post by LordL »

Maybe this would be interesting to work with?
Coupled with reducers of course. The store has quite a lot of cool stuff!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004179176778.html

I'm thinking of buying one for whiskey, but traditional rum pots has inherited alot from euroupe. It will also help a bit with holding the foam back and make it less prone to puke.
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

Hi again,

AHat i see mostly is a piece of vertical column and then a 90° bend, 2" straight for a short length and then a reduction to the liebig cooler. Is this the most flavorful variety or id the still head formed like a reverse ?, A questisn mark.

I have NO reason to why one is better than the the others and for getting flavour out of!.
I THINK t want at type that suits most potstill mash/wash. Looks is not important.

It will have 50cm 54cu kolumn under for evetually filing, a TC to the head and a R15 tue/bolt monted to be able to hook up the liebig.

My machines are either Cu/SS/Bras connectord snd not a single one compression fitting! Quality is whats it is..

Extra:

Picking up a 30l keg someday here so will be a proper clean piece of distilling!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

you can also consider the angle of the dangle
Attachments
different-ways-in-which-still-shape-impacts-spirit-quality-1115.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

LordL wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:16 am Maybe this would be interesting to work with?

I'm thinking of buying one for whiskey, but traditional rum pots has inherited alot from euroupe. It will also help a bit with holding the foam back and make it less prone to puke.
Well, maybe you’ve got “more dollars than sense”. I would invest in grains instead. The onion is pretty, but not necessary at all to make a tasty whiskey (or rum). “Gadgets” won’t make your products better … just more expensive.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:48 am
LordL wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:16 am Maybe this would be interesting to work with?

Well, maybe you’ve got “more dollars than sense”. I would invest in grains instead. The onion is pretty, but not necessary at all to make a tasty whiskey (or rum). “Gadgets” won’t make your products better … just more expensive.
ss
Gadgets won't make the product better. No.

A brazing station and copper sheets aren't free either I guess. I won't have the possibility to make my own, the tip was just an idea. I have looked at that shiny onion for a while now, but won't start in that end myself. I think I'm just going to build a 2"-4"-2" onion out of copper reducers. Triclamps are very handy though, and if I brew as a hobby, it's possible I'll just save up for some Tri clamp parts one by one to get a setup that is easy to take apart and put aside between runs..
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

In my experience , once a Rum starts foaming nothing will stop it except cutting the power and slowly heating again .

Best defence is to just add an anti-foam agent in the boiler when you start . There are fancy silicone based ones . But a tablespoon of vege oil in a keg will work just as good .

And of coarse , a copper riser is essential . It’s plenty if Copper to remove sulfides
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Rumhead wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:28 am Hi again,

AHat i see mostly is a piece of vertical column and then a 90° bend, 2" straight for a short length and then a reduction to the liebig cooler. Is this the most flavorful variety or id the still head formed like a reverse ?, A questisn mark.
Perhaps you are referring to the pelican style .
It is more to do with balancing the weight over the boiler than any advantage in flavour .

Here’s a few variations of that theme. …. Snatched from here and there .
C956C789-529C-4737-B601-8EDEEFBCC1C4.jpeg
EC1AD665-3483-41D7-8723-A8510AA25B82.jpeg
9BFE9DF8-E357-4112-BE7F-6A06D8ADD9DA.jpeg
At hobby still size , I din’t think the shape or style of the Pot still will alter the Flavour to any real degree at all . How hard you run and what you ferment will have way more bearing .

BTW ….. see the copper . That is more important than the shape. :ewink:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I'
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:46 am It is more to do with balancing the weight over the boiler than any advantage in flavour .
'll just add this one.
5831696191_a19fcfa841_z.jpg
As the owner of two of the S shaped stills in those photos , I'll say Yummy is 100% correct on the balance thing.
The still in the photo I posted is the first I ever built, I did it that way purely because I didn't trust the thin nature of the T500 boiler that I used to mount it on....it was all about balance and putting less stress on the lid.........I may have had a few to many "creative juices" while sitting in the shed looking at the boiler and lid. I made that still so that I could easily strip sugar washes to run through the T500 that I started out with.
The second one , the one in the photo with two stills and two boilers I made that way simply because I could ....I had the pipe and the parts.
At the time that I built the small one I thought it was kinda unique, Id never seen another pot still done that way........seems to be fair few around now.
As for effect on flavor, Ive never noticed a difference between them and a normal shaped pot still ...or for that matter my plated column with no reflux
" deflegmator water turned off".
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:48 am

ss
I got alot less money than molasses but the upward tilting lyne arm suits what i want for rum distillate!

But how do i build such a potstill head for a 2"column?

Maybe as a question mark with the liebig attatched at the top?

Im thinking 50cm TC column, Teiclamp again, 10cn straight piece then a 45™ bend backwards then 10cm vertical piece and then a 45° bend, 15cm pipe and finally a 90° bend and a 54/15mm reducer with a soldered nut that the liebig screws on to.

How does that sound for a still head meant for rum, and only rim firstly?
Last edited by Rumhead on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yummy I also like the looks and balance with that design. First stills I saw similar to this was by WalkinWolf. He built two one with a triple wall condenser.
B18F113C-A7C5-4277-A0D4-74C97F3F1A38.jpeg
3050968C-E59F-4CDD-8252-700892C28C5E.jpeg
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:51 am I'
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:46 am It is more to do with balancing the weight over the boiler than any advantage in flavour .
'll just add this one.
As the owner of two of the S shaped stills in those photos , I'll say Yummy is 100% correct on the balance thing.
The still in the photo I posted is the first I ever built, I did it that way purely because I didn't trust the thin nature of the T500 boiler that I used to mount it on....it was all about balance and putting less stress on the lid.........I may have had a few to many "creative juices" while sitting in the shed looking at the boiler and lid. I made that still so that I could easily strip sugar washes to run through the T500 that I started out with.
The second one , the one in the photo with two stills and two boilers I made that way simply because I could ....I had the pipe and the parts.
At the time that I built the small one I thought it was kinda unique, Id never seen another pot still done that way........seems to be fair few around now.
As for effect on flavor, Ive never noticed a difference between them and a normal shaped pot still ...or for that matter my plated column with no reflux
Very nice pieces of copper there!
If you're not tasting any difference in between the setups. Would you say that you prefer one or the other for speed, or is it puking that limits stripping before anything else?
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Rumhead
Novice

Post by Rumhead »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:51 am I'
'll just add this one.
Wow thats very like what i rhink of building but whit a lyne arm thats upwardky formed for the lighter distillate.

My rums will all be aomewhat light but still not bacardi light, but maybe not a jamaican 1600g/hlap product ;)
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:46 am
Rumhead wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:28 am Hi again,

Perhaps you are referring to the pelican style .
It is more to do with balancing the weight over the boiler than any advantage in flavour .

Here’s a few variations of that theme. …. Snatched from here and there .
C956C789-529C-4737-B601-8EDEEFBCC1C4.jpegEC1AD665-3483-41D7-8723-A8510AA25B82.jpeg9BFE9DF8-E357-4112-BE7F-6A06D8ADD9DA.jpeg

At hobby still size , I din’t think the shape or style of the Pot still will alter the Flavour to any real degree at all . How hard you run and what you ferment will have way more bearing .

BTW ….. see the copper . That is more important than the shape. :ewink:
Hey! Those look a lot like mine!
In my case, I can say that balancing the weight was the ONLY reason I went for that design.

20220803_163808.jpg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:35 pm If you're not tasting any difference in between the setups. Would you say that you prefer one or the other for speed, or is it puking that limits stripping before anything else?
Yes there is an obvious difference in speed between all three stills what ever you are doing with them.
The smallest is limited by its power and the liebig size,,,,,the boiler is only 2200w from memory....I'm an hours drive away from it atm so wont go and look.
Having said that the liebig is suited to that size boiler and wattage, so does all I ever intended it to do. These days is mostly my Gin still but gets other use sometimes.
The bigger keg based still sitting next the my plated column in the other photo is only limited by the cooling capacity of the liebig on it. The liebig in turn is limited by water flow and water temp......Im happy with it as is....I could pump more and cooler water through it if I wanted.
Its powered by a 3 ring LPG burner with adjustable regulator so you can really stick some heat to it if need be.

The plated column sitting next to it is used in pot still mode for stripping at times, Its also run on a LPG burner ......a four ringer with adjustable regulator. It will strip happily at 20 LPH.
IMO heat input availability , column diameter, Product condenser size as well as water flow and water temp all play a part in how fast you can strip.
I think on a hobby sized still you will battle to tell a difference in flavour what ever you do you do with the Lyne arm.
I rarely have trouble with puking......two things that help are making sure you degas any Rum wash, the other is adding low wines or fients to a rum wash before running, The mix then become a lot less viscous and in turn less prone to Puking.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Rumhead wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:45 pm
Wow thats very like what i rhink of building but whit a lyne arm thats upwardky formed for the lighter distillate.

My rums will all be aomewhat light but still not bacardi light, but maybe not a jamaican 1600g/hlap product ;)
This is contrary to your Topic heading . Light Rums don’t have much flavour at all . In fact if you are chasing a Bacardi style Rum , you’d be better off looking at a reflux still rather than a Potstill .

From your Topic heading , it sounded like you want to make a Dark or Navy style .
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

Bvv has a nice copper whiskey helmet. Maybe not quite as cheap but close once you add in the shipping. I’ve got the 6x6 and it’s a beast. Caught a sale so it was cheaper.

https://shopbvv.com/collections/ethanol ... key-helmet
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:31 pm
LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:35 pm If you're not tasting any difference in between the setups. Would you say that you prefer one or the other for speed, or is it puking that limits stripping before anything else?
Yes there is an obvious difference in speed between all three stills what ever you are doing with them.
The smallest is limited by its power and the liebig size,,,,,the boiler is only 2200w from memory....I'm an hours drive away from it atm so wont go and look.
Having said that the liebig is suited to that size boiler and wattage, so does all I ever intended it to do. These days is mostly my Gin still but gets other use sometimes.
The bigger keg based still sitting next the my plated column in the other photo is only limited by the cooling capacity of the liebig on it. The liebig in turn is limited by water flow and water temp......Im happy with it as is....I could pump more and cooler water through it if I wanted.
Its powered by a 3 ring LPG burner with adjustable regulator so you can really stick some heat to it if need be.

The plated column sitting next to it is used in pot still mode for stripping at times, Its also run on a LPG burner ......a four ringer with adjustable regulator. It will strip happily at 20 LPH.
IMO heat input availability , column diameter, Product condenser size as well as water flow and water temp all play a part in how fast you can strip.
I think on a hobby sized still you will battle to tell a difference in flavour what ever you do you do with the Lyne arm.
I rarely have trouble with puking......two things that help are making sure you degas any Rum wash, the other is adding low wines or fients to a rum wash before running, The mix then become a lot less viscous and in turn less prone to Puking.
Thanks for sharing! :)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Newtothis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 pm

Bvv has a nice copper whiskey helmet. Maybe not quite as cheap but close once you add in the shipping. I’ve got the 6x6 and it’s a beast. Caught a sale so it was cheaper.

So pretty!

Any noticeable difference in quality or speed Vs just running without it?
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Mine is the second pic of Yummy's post

I never run it like that anymore, it was done that way for ballance and to make the overkill 6' liebig not hit the ground, but these days (when i use it) I just use a short riser and support the liebig independently at a different angle. I have added many triclamps since then.

There is a post here somewhere with a link to a phd paper on the different types of swan necks, i think it was 4 or so configs tested, there was about 1 abv difference spread between all of them.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

RC Al wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:25 am Mine is the second pic of Yummy's post

I never run it like that anymore, it was done that way for ballance and to make the overkill 6' liebig not hit the ground, but these days (when i use it) I just use a short riser and support the liebig independently at a different angle. I have added many triclamps since then.

There is a post here somewhere with a link to a phd paper on the different types of swan necks, i think it was 4 or so configs tested, there was about 1 abv difference spread between all of them.
Very interesting! I think the most important for us to know regarding the small diff in abv. How did it translate in taste? :)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

LordL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 am

So pretty!

Maybe takes a little bit longer to get it up to temp, but it’s a beast and once it’s running it’s great. Makes quality stuff so far, much improved from without it. I found an interesting added bonus to the copper helmet, so if I run it In ambient air all good if I want to bump the proof up 20 to 30 points I can let ahouse fan blow on it in low. It seems to increase the reflux going on in the dome, it’s really handy at the end of a run. If I’m in tails and getting cloudy I turn the fan up and the proof goes up and it clears right up and I can get a few extra jars out of the run.
Attachments
6C2CE5A5-CF67-41EB-B9EA-46FD0A5B49DC.jpeg
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Newtothis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:41 am

So pretty!

Maybe takes a little bit longer to get it up to temp, but it’s a beast and once it’s running it’s great. Makes quality stuff so far, much improved from without it. I found an interesting added bonus to the copper helmet, so if I run it In ambient air all good if I want to bump the proof up 20 to 30 points I can let ahouse fan blow on it in low. It seems to increase the reflux going on in the dome, it’s really handy at the end of a run. If I’m in tails and getting cloudy I turn the fan up and the proof goes up and it clears right up and I can get a few extra jars out of the run.
Cool! Have you tried or noticed any difference running the onion "upside down" similar to the Scottish pots?

If run normally, what kind of concentration would you get right after the fores from a ~10% wash?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! 🙂
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Hotroddistiller on E bay has helmets / onion heads available. The 2"in/out ones must be quite popular because they don't always have them in stock and listed. I see they are shipped from a warehouse in Minnesota now. They were originally shipped from the Ukraine and they would get stopped at customs in NY. If they didn't make a positive difference then why do the commercial pot stills use them. Just sayin'

I just checked the website, The 2x2" ones should be available in Feb. From the Ukraine I hope they are ok. https://hotroddistiller.com/product/cop ... on-2-inch/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224693154456?h ... SwI9Vih5fZ
Last edited by 6 Row Joe on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

LordL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:27 am

So pretty!

Cool! Have you tried or noticed any difference running the onion "upside down" similar to the Scottish pots?

If run normally, what kind of concentration would you get right after the fores from a ~10% wash?

So I have run it both ways, but don’t have an apples to apples comparison. I will soon as I’m trying to fill up a barrel with a 60 corn 20 wheat 10 barley and 10 rye run. First run is today onion up. Last batch I did was a final run on Ujssm the Scottish way on the onion with no air on the onion till late in the run and it was.coming off at 135 proof right after fores.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

https://hotroddistiller.com/product/cop ... on-2-inch/

Looks like these will be available again next month.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Newtothis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:18 pm

So pretty!

So I have run it both ways, but don’t have an apples to apples comparison. I will soon as I’m trying to fill up a barrel with a 60 corn 20 wheat 10 barley and 10 rye run. First run is today onion up. Last batch I did was a final run on Ujssm the Scottish way on the onion with no air on the onion till late in the run and it was.coming off at 135 proof right after fores.
Sounds like I'll have to get me one of those sooner or later... ;)

Thanks!

Oh, and 6row, tanks for the link! Wonder if they ship from Ukraine within EU?
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

LordL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:27 pm

Thanks!

It would be worth it to contact them. Their products look like quality stuff.
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

6 Row Joe wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 pm
LordL wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:27 pm

Thanks!

It would be worth it to contact them. Their products look like quality stuff.
Absolutely, and as a European I like the idea of supporting them any way I can.
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill