SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Post by Dougmatt »

welly wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:32 am Moving my question from a related SBB rum post as this seems a bit more of a relevant place to ask.

So my first SBB molly rum, the OG came in at 1.090 - I suspect I either added too much water or didn't quite get the full 10L molasses out of the containers. It's been going since Sunday and is down to 1.057 - I'll be giving it at least another week before I check gravity.

Given the OG was lower than it should have been and I was unable to properly aerate the wash; I gave it a proper stir with my mash paddle but that was as good as I could do - have since bought a paint stirrer drill attachment for future batches - I'm wondering at this stage I should just let it be what it'll be. Let's say it drops another 10-15 gravity points if I'm being generous, I'll end up with something around a 5% wash.

I wondered if it's worth chucking in a kg or so of sugar to help it along the way or just let it be? I've got another batch of molasses on its way so I'm not wedded to this particular wash but I might as well use it! Wash quantity is up to the 33L mark on my fermenter.

Cheers!
I would just let it finish like you are saying and then run it. Take it as a learning lesson for next time. To me adding sugar would change the outcome a little and if you want a pure molasses rum like this, why add it?

If you decide to add some, maybe add panella. This will also change things, but will give you a more rich outcome than white sugar.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Dougmatt wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 am
welly wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:32 am Moving my question from a related SBB rum post as this seems a bit more of a relevant place to ask.

So my first SBB molly rum, the OG came in at 1.090 - I suspect I either added too much water or didn't quite get the full 10L molasses out of the containers. It's been going since Sunday and is down to 1.057 - I'll be giving it at least another week before I check gravity.

Given the OG was lower than it should have been and I was unable to properly aerate the wash; I gave it a proper stir with my mash paddle but that was as good as I could do - have since bought a paint stirrer drill attachment for future batches - I'm wondering at this stage I should just let it be what it'll be. Let's say it drops another 10-15 gravity points if I'm being generous, I'll end up with something around a 5% wash.

I wondered if it's worth chucking in a kg or so of sugar to help it along the way or just let it be? I've got another batch of molasses on its way so I'm not wedded to this particular wash but I might as well use it! Wash quantity is up to the 33L mark on my fermenter.

Cheers!
I would just let it finish like you are saying and then run it. Take it as a learning lesson for next time. To me adding sugar would change the outcome a little and if you want a pure molasses rum like this, why add it?

If you decide to add some, maybe add panella. This will also change things, but will give you a more rich outcome than white sugar.
Cheers! I assume when I run a stripping run through the still I'll just get a lower yield from the wash rather than a lower ABV spirit? So maybe 3L of 30% low wines rather than maybe 5L (to pull a few numbers out of the air!). That would be fine, because it'll all go in my new low wines collection jar I plan to acquire so I can fill up a 20L cask for ageing over a number of batches I'm going to ferment
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

welly wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 am
Cheers! I assume when I run a stripping run through the still I'll just get a lower yield from the wash rather than a lower ABV spirit? So maybe 3L of 30% low wines rather than maybe 5L (to pull a few numbers out of the air!).
Mostly Correct (the concept, not the numbers :) ). The abv of the yield is based on when you stop running the still. If you are running a pot still, The “highest / starting” abv off the spot will be a little lower as your starting product is a little lower but in these ranges the difference is negligible. Just stating it for full correctness. In other words in a pot, your output abv is a function of the abv going into the pot.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Dougmatt wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:12 pm
welly wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 am
Cheers! I assume when I run a stripping run through the still I'll just get a lower yield from the wash rather than a lower ABV spirit? So maybe 3L of 30% low wines rather than maybe 5L (to pull a few numbers out of the air!).
Mostly Correct (the concept, not the numbers :) ). The abv of the yield is based on when you stop running the still. If you are running a pot still, The “highest / starting” abv off the spot will be a little lower as your starting product is a little lower but in these ranges the difference is negligible. Just stating it for full correctness. In other words in a pot, your output abv is a function of the abv going into the pot.
Thank you! Helpful explanation!
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

The SG measurementss are all terribly off with molasses runs but, my few experiences with it had a SG around 1.13 and FG of 1.05 for what it's worth. When stripped, I got a yield in low wines that suggested a wash ABV of 9.5%. So it does seem like you underpitched the molasses for any of the reasons you speculated on but its hard to tell until you stripped it.

One possibility: Run it (with or without added sugar - I would suggest not), strip it and then you have the dunder to use for the next batches (plus some low wines) It won't be until you strip it that you will have a real determination on how much ethanol you actually produced.
-- Rrmuf
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Rrmuf wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:22 am The SG measurementss are all terribly off with molasses runs but, my few experiences with it had a SG around 1.13 and FG of 1.05 for what it's worth. When stripped, I got a yield in low wines that suggested a wash ABV of 9.5%. So it does seem like you underpitched the molasses for any of the reasons you speculated on but its hard to tell until you stripped it.
Rrmuf , your report is pretty much bang on the money for what I get with Salty’s Rum recipe :thumbup:
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

That's very helpful, thanks all! I'll be putting down my next molly batch probably by the end of next week with a bit of luck and so with my 25kg delivery I'll have plenty of molly to top it up to about a 1.13 SG. I'll probably be putting down a 50L batch this time so make up for the shortfall on this batch. Plan is to fill a Badmo cask when it gets delivered next week and then just leave it be for as long as I can bear to.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

welly wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:24 am That's very helpful, thanks all! I'll be putting down my next molly batch probably by the end of next week with a bit of luck and so with my 25kg delivery I'll have plenty of molly to top it up to about a 1.13 SG. I'll probably be putting down a 50L batch this time so make up for the shortfall on this batch. Plan is to fill a Badmo cask when it gets delivered next week and then just leave it be for as long as I can bear to.
No worries. Just scale the recipe and and follow the instructions per SBB. The only surprises that threw me off was how fast it fermented and how it smelled (not great) off the spout but it is my first experience with rum. Even a few weeks later we were "sampling" it. :thumbup:

Good luck.
-- Rrmuf
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:D Cheers Salty, sampling a April 2021 pot stilled version.
It was aged on a med toast dominoes at about 1 per litre. From memory I think I may have taken a bottle or two from the demi and I don't think I took any oak out.
Tasting notes is it is smooth and has a flavour profile a long way from Bundy, it has a very slight bitter taste, not unpleasant but it's just there.
I'm assuming that it's the oak flavour and that it is fractionally over oaked? Not to sure
Awesome drop, time is the pot stilled versions friend
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yeah it's a long way from Bundy....not sure how you would go about reproducing that stuff......Yummy has tried..
They do a lot of things quite differently than most rum places from what I've seen/ heard.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Another 180litres finished . Finish Gravity 1.060

pH 5.4 …… thats right …. no shells … no pH futzing required :clap:
7F42B2C7-8A71-4E26-8AC9-9044061AD24C.jpeg
7746403F-AE7E-4DAE-A917-5B6DC19FA760.jpeg
Edit: That weird looking scum thing next to the pH meter is some reflection . The surface was actually dark brown all over .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Must be close to getting that barrel filled Yummy?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:53 pm Must be close to getting that barrel filled Yummy?
Haa I wish .when it was just me sipp'n , I thought I stood half a chance . Now Mrs Yummy has a taste for Mijitos , its going down faster than I can fill it
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Need a lend of some fermenters and a 6 inch plater Yummy ?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 pm Need a lend of some fermenter and a 6 incher?
Thanks Salty , Hmmm , I do have another 200l fermenter , but the offer of the 6”er lend is very tempting :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Cooee if or when you decide.
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Well this was my 3rd run of rum, I loosely followed your recipe in the previous 2 and followed it mostly to a T on this one so I thought I would post my results.
The vitamin B my wife assured me she had turned out to be something else lol So no B vitamin. I added a jar of yeast cake to the dunder boil for nutrients instead.
I used 5 gallons (25KG) of fancy molasses in 65l of water. The fancy was only 20 bucks more then blackstrap so why not eh? I would add about 70 litres next time to get 2 decent stripping runs with about a gallon or 2 left for the spirit run.
It finished up in about 10 days.
I got 3.5 gallons proofed to 60% Does that seem about right?
Damn it smells good!
I toasted some staves for some of it and have a badmo coming for the rest.
Cant wait to try it in a few months...
Thanks for the recipe and all the good info in this thread.
Cheers,
Jon
PS I dont know why the pics are sideways...
Attachments
20230120_142220.jpg
20230209_174858.jpg
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

JHeron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:32 pm Well this was my 3rd run of rum, I loosely followed your recipe in the previous 2 and followed it mostly to a T on this one so I thought I would post my results.
The vitamin B my wife assured me she had turned out to be something else lol So no B vitamin. I added a jar of yeast cake to the dunder boil for nutrients instead.
I used 5 gallons (25KG) of fancy molasses in 65l of water. The fancy was only 20 bucks more then blackstrap so why not eh? I would add about 70 litres next time to get 2 decent stripping runs with about a gallon or 2 left for the spirit run.
I got 3.5 gallons proofed to 60% Does that seem about right?
Damn it smells good!
I toasted some staves for some of it and have a badmo coming for the rest.
Cant wait to try it in a few months...
Thanks for the recipe and all the good info in this thread.
Cheers,
Jon
Thought is was vitamin b, turns out it was plan b. 🤔

I hate that.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Thought is was vitamin b, turns out it was plan b. 🤔

I hate that.
Ha!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

That’s what I figured. Add it to the ledgers
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Six months on wood is young for a heavy rum. It’ll really start to get nice after a year or more. Keep a little white so you can compare the two. That’ll help you understand better as the maturity progresses.

Aging on toasted oak at 55% to 60% ABV will bring out the vanilla notes from the wood. That will compliment your fancy molly rum very nicely. If aged at a higher proof, it will finish drier. So, I always prefer to age at 55%ABV.

I think you’re all set … except for your patience. That’s the hardest thing to put into the bottle.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

JHeron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:32 pm I used 5 gallons (25KG) of fancy molasses in 65l of water. The fancy was only 20 bucks more then blackstrap so why not eh? I would add about 70 litres next time to get 2 decent stripping runs with about a gallon or 2 left for the spirit run.
I prefer fancy over blackstrap any day.. and it's age at 57 - 58%.. come on nice after about a yrs, then I solera it so that the 3 - 4 yrs old stuff is the drinking one..

If I'm reading and understanding the above statement, you used 5 gal of fancy molasses in 65L of water, and it took 10 days to finish dry..

What the low wine take from the that batch, and to what level was the wash stripped too.. and in your spirit run did you add wash or dunder to it..

I do my at 5L of fancy but also use 4K of panela sugar.. never tried just molasses..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

JHeron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:32 pm Jon
Because you take your photos when you are drunk and lying down maybe?????
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

JHeron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:32 pm PS I dont know why the pics are sideways...
Sorry for the off topic, John I use a compression app to reduce my file size.
When I post photos, if I post from the photos stored in the app at the reduced size they always are the wrong way around.
I save the reduced sized files to the gallery on my phone and post from there not the app
Saltys rum is real good after 12 months, can't wait to get some two and three year old stuff :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:46 am
JHeron wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:32 pm I used 5 gallons (25KG) of fancy molasses in 65l of water. The fancy was only 20 bucks more then blackstrap so why not eh? I would add about 70 litres next time to get 2 decent stripping runs with about a gallon or 2 left for the spirit run.
I prefer fancy over blackstrap any day.. and it's age at 57 - 58%.. come on nice after about a yrs, then I solera it so that the 3 - 4 yrs old stuff is the drinking one..

If I'm reading and understanding the above statement, you used 5 gal of fancy molasses in 65L of water, and it took 10 days to finish dry..

What the low wine take from the that batch, and to what level was the wash stripped too.. and in your spirit run did you add wash or dunder to it..

I do my at 5L of fancy but also use 4K of panela sugar.. never tried just molasses..

Mars
What does "solera" mean?
The low wines overall were around 40% and I stripped them down to 8-10%. I saved about 1 gallon of wash for the spirit run and also threw in a gallon and a half of whiskey feints I had on hand since I was nervous there would not be enough contents over the element for the spirit run.
It smells and tastes very 'clean'. I wanted to save a bit of white but I wanted to make sure my badmo was full so there will be no white to compare the oaked stuff to.
This stuff is going to be great!
Cheers,
Jon
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

JHeron wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 am What does "solera" mean?
Cheers,
Jon
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Solera_Aging
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 am
Cheers,
Jon
Aha!
Brilliant.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

JHeron wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:21 am
still_stirrin wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 am
Cheers,
Jon
Aha!
Brilliant.
Not “brilliant” at all. Just resourceful. Jon, there is a world of info on this website and it’s all YOURS if you just LOOK. Help yourself!
ss
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Well, I've got a batch about ready to run! I have three full 5 gl. barrels in my solera system, some jars full and waiting. I'm planning on buying another barrel and these two batches I'm about to run should fill it. In the meantime I've been seeking out bottles of what I think are similar, inexpensive non adulterated rums to keep me away from it.
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

Bottled my first one-year-old SBB today, and far out Doris it was a revelation. The nose was tropical with a bit of mellow spice and vanilla. The oakyness was much less evident than the six-month-old, and the obvious molasses flavours had pretty much gone. It’s bloody delicious and well worth the wait. I’m really impressed, cos it’s as nice as a Plantation rum I bought recently - just missing the cognac-style sharpness on the nose you get from a bit of aging on old French oak (I’m guessing). Bottled 8L and put 5 back for another year at 60% on the same 10g per L med toasted American oak it’s been aging with. Aged it in glass, opening it from time to time. Loving this hobby.