The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Badmotivator Bain-Marie and Oak Barrel

Post by LordL »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:24 pm
LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:20 pm
bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:16 pm
LordL wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:16 pm Bad motivator, where could I get hold of the steel buckets? Are they on Amazon or something similar?

I'm on your mailing list, but I guess there might be a couple before me in line for a complete barrel... :/
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... BMS12.html
:thumbup: Thanks!
No problem! If that isn't the size you want, just do a search for "Bain Marie Inserts" and you should see a plethora of different sizes.
:thumbup: :)
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

Wow what a story!
I just got a badmo and had not even seen this thread, rather I saw them on the tubes.
Congratulations on your growth Ben, nothing better then turning a passion into a business eh!
You make a great and innovative product!
Cheers,
Jon
Attachments
20230129_151206.jpg
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

JHeron wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm Wow what a story!
I just got a badmo and had not even seen this thread, rather I saw them on the tubes.
Congratulations on your growth Ben, nothing better then turning a passion into a business eh!
You make a great and innovative product!
Cheers,
Jon
Thanks, Jon! I’m as surprised as anybody, truthfully.

I’ve never said this before here, but it’s the honest truth: I’m more excited about the hope that the IDEA lives and grows than I am that my business succeeds. I’m certain that these barrels make better spirits and elevate the craft. If I keel over tomorrow I hope someone else picks it up and runs with it. :)

Cheers right back at you, and I hope you’ll keep in touch!
Sugarshane
Novice

Post by Sugarshane »

Just had to throw this out there. Amazon has inherited some influence from this thread 😆
Attachments
Amazon review
Amazon review
Sugarshane
Novice

Post by Sugarshane »

So after reading this thread until my eyes bled. And then I read even more, I decided to take the plunge on making my own while I wait until one becomes available to buy. So I have now two 6qt baine Marie’s, spigots for both and a used bourbon barrel head on the way. Not to mention a couple of new tools that I used this project as an excuse to buy 😆 well Hopefully I’ve read enough to pull it off first try. Thanks BadMo for all the tutorials! We shall see how much I learned

Sugar.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Sugarshane wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:18 pm So after reading this thread until my eyes bled. And then I read even more, I decided to take the plunge on making my own while I wait until one becomes available to buy. So I have now two 6qt baine Marie’s, spigots for both and a used bourbon barrel head on the way. Not to mention a couple of new tools that I used this project as an excuse to buy 😆 well Hopefully I’ve read enough to pull it off first try. Thanks BadMo for all the tutorials! We shall see how much I learned

Sugar.
Bravo! I'm really happy to hear that you're going to give it a try! Feel free to ask questions here if you hit a snag; I'll do my best to help you get past it, and other folks might benefit from the information.

Also, sorry about the eye-bleed. It's definitely a hazard around here. :)
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I had one of my homemade BMOBs filled with bourbon begin leaking thru the face in several places. It had been filled for just a few weeks. That specific piece of oak was somewhat checked and had several small cracks that ended up not sealing well. So I made a new head and pressed it into place. It was a tiny bit more snug than the previous one. When I started filling it with water to swell and seal it, the bain marie can split.

This was one of the Winco BMs that has no taper from the top to the middle. I recently bought 6 Thunder Group BMs (from Tiger Chef, total with shipping < $100), which are fully tapered top to bottom, and decided to weigh the two. The Winco was 1 lb 9 oz, the TG was 2 lbs, 1.5 oz. Both of these are 8.25 qt Bain Maries.

I re-sized the head and it fit into a TG can just fine, so was able to put my bourbon back into the can and get it back to aging.

I bought 5 once used 3"+ bourbon barrel staves (smelled great when I sawed them) and made a barrel head from one stave and pressed into a TG can. I couldn't get the bung to seal (my tapered reamer is hand driven - too large to fit in a drill chuck) so I used a T-top from an empty whiskey bottle - worked great. Once there was no more leakage I filled that BMOB with a Single Malt.

Just want to thank BadMotivator once again for sharing his knowledge and process for making BadMo barrels.
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

I am thinking of putting a turntable on my table saw and kicking the blade out a few degrees from 90 to shape the top? Sound stupid or good?
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

JJB11B wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:39 am I am thinking of putting a turntable on my table saw and kicking the blade out a few degrees from 90 to shape the top? Sound stupid or good?
I tried the table saw on my first crack and the dowels didn't hold the wood together so something to be weary of. I did pull it apart to put beeswax in though which I haven't bothered with on the last three with no issues yet.
I use the table saw for jointing though as the jointer I have access to chomps way too much wood and doesn't provide a smooth surface. I just use one side of the table saw for one piece of oak and the other side of the saw for the other side. Seems to work fine.
I have got a table saw at home and I'm going to try doing shaping the head for a 6L can that I want to do to "double barrel" some whisky I've had on staves for a year. I'll clamp the head as some insurance against the splitting though.
Sugarshane
Novice

Post by Sugarshane »

Bravo! I'm really happy to hear that you're going to give it a try! Feel free to ask questions here if you hit a snag; I'll do my best to help you get past it, and other folks might benefit from the information.

Also, sorry about the eye-bleed. It's definitely a hazard around here. :)
[/quote]

Thanks badmo. Between all your YouTube vids and this thread hopefully all problems I could run into will have been covered 😆 only time will tell though. And the eyes bleeding was welcomed it’s just been more informative than my brain can compute at once . Side note I’m just north of you in the panhandle of Idaho.
dovregubben
Novice

Post by dovregubben »

JJB11B wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:39 am I am thinking of putting a turntable on my table saw and kicking the blade out a few degrees from 90 to shape the top? Sound stupid or good?
That sounds like a great idea to me! I was planning to build jigs for my band saw and disc sander for roughing and finishing heads, but I might try my table saw instead.

A couple thoughts:

1) You probably don't need "a few degrees." One degree or less ought to do it.

2) You're not going to get a perfectly conical cut. Depending on how the barrel head contacts the blade, it will end up with a slightly concave or convex edge. But maybe that's not a bad thing?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I did a jig with a nail on which I put the head. I then rotate the head a couple of degrees and cut, rotate and cut, rotate and cut, so lots of little tiny cuts to get close to a circle. To solve the problem of the saw grabbing and trying to pull the individual boards apart I just use painters tape on the seams. So far it has held them enough.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

This looks schmancy!

User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

So I tried using the table saw today for the head shaping but to not much effect. The issue being that I could cut the lower section but when I tried to use the top of the saw, the saw just got pushed back by the wood. I don't know enough to know if a different blade would be better than the standard one that came with my fancy ALDI table saw.
Attachments
PXL_20230301_071833135.jpg
PXL_20230301_073421405.jpg
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Joniah, I’m not 100% sure what problem you’re describing, but you can try making the cut in multiple passes. Raise the blade only enough to cut 1/4” deep or so, then cut the full circle. Raise the led by 1/4” (or whatever your saw can handle), make another cut, and keep repeating until you’re all the way through.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

Steve Broady wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:26 am Joniah, I’m not 100% sure what problem you’re describing, but you can try making the cut in multiple passes. Raise the blade only enough to cut 1/4” deep or so, then cut the full circle. Raise the led by 1/4” (or whatever your saw can handle), make another cut, and keep repeating until you’re all the way through.
That makes sense, I was moving the jig left to right with the blade at full height. I'll have another try today, much appreciate the advice!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

It sounds like you’re just overloading the saw. A new, sharp blade might also help.

I would clamp the jig down and CAREFULLY feed the wood into the blade, rotating it slowly. Straight cuts are great for removing the bulk of the material, but I’d use a rotating cut for the final pass to ensure a perfectly smooth circle. But remember that the blade only cuts at the teeth, so don’t ever let wood put pressure anywhere else on the blade.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

My jig has "legs" at the front and the back that allow me to slice the jig against the fence. Then I can move the entire jig back and forth making straight cuts as Steve suggested. I never try and rotate the head into the blade. I pull the jig back, rotate the head 2 degrees of rotation and then make another cut, pull back, rotate, push for straight cut, repeat. 120 to 160 tiny straight cuts around the circumference of the head is close enough to round.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

Much better using the static jig and lifting the saw very slowly. 11/10 wouldn't recommend this method. Band saw all the way for me from now on. 10 min on a band saw vs forever with this method for me.
Attachments
16777205262858308400953082212191.jpg
chown
Novice

Post by chown »

jonlah wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:13 pm This looks schmancy!

I just googled "8" sight glass"... yeah thats a little cost prohibitive...
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

jonlah wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:29 pm Much better using the static jig and lifting the saw very slowly. 11/10 wouldn't recommend this method. Band saw all the way for me from now on. 10 min on a band saw vs forever with this method for me.
I agree folks. The table saw method can work but the risks are really huge. I used the table saw for circle-cutting a few times and then noped out of there. I would rather see people making rough circles with a hand-held jigsaw and then sanding it to perfectly round. Of course, a cheap band saw is better still.
User12345
Novice

Post by User12345 »

Badmotivator wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:59 pm
I agree folks. The table saw method can work but the risks are really huge. I used the table saw for circle-cutting a few times and then noped out of there. I would rather see people making rough circles with a hand-held jigsaw and then sanding it to perfectly round. Of course, a cheap band saw is better still.
Yeah I spent the whole time worried about my fingers. Got there in the end but 100% agree it is a nope from me.
Attachments
PXL_20230302_020730803.jpg
PXL_20230302_020711491.jpg
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Router circle cutting jig will knock this out quickly and safely... You can build one from scrap or buy one that is adjustable in 1/16" increments.
:)
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

When making mine I got a perfectly adequate fit by eye. Marked. Circle with a compas and bansawed it out carefully then sanded to the line with a spacer under one end to provide the taper.

Because the stainless has some give and the head swells anyway I was able to get a watertight seal . Jigs are nice and everything but not totally nessecary in this instance in my opinion.

The difficult part was guessing the size since I wasn't able to get a good measurement on my slightly out of round stainless pot . In the end I just sanded till it went in 5-6mm then hammered it home. Worked for me.
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Knife_man wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:25 am When making mine I got a perfectly adequate fit by eye. Marked. Circle with a compas and bansawed it out carefully then sanded to the line with a spacer under one end to provide the taper.

Because the stainless has some give and the head swells anyway I was able to get a watertight seal . Jigs are nice and everything but not totally nessecary in this instance in my opinion.

The difficult part was guessing the size since I wasn't able to get a good measurement on my slightly out of round stainless pot . In the end I just sanded till it went in 5-6mm then hammered it home. Worked for me.
Excellent info for those about to attempt their first barrel! Thanks for writing that up.

You reminded me (and it should be emphasized here) that my first were pretty “manual” too, and while I love my jigs for speed, ease, repeatability, precision, etc. you can totally go for it without most of my conveniences. Bravo!
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

Badmotivator wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:25 pm Excellent info for those about to attempt their first barrel! Thanks for writing that up.

You reminded me (and it should be emphasized here) that my first were pretty “manual” too, and while I love my jigs for speed, ease, repeatability, precision, etc. you can totally go for it without most of my conveniences. Bravo!
I learned a long time ago that if your only making a few of something then usually the time and effort put into making a jig would be better spent just making the product.

When your making more than a few of course jigs are a godsend and some of your jigs are absolutly top notch :thumbup: .
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

I think if I get around to doing this Id like to bust out a bunch, so my and a friend can get a "Barrel House" going,
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

All I know is my table saw is the scariest piece of equipment that I own. I treat her with upmost respect and she still likes to try and bite me every now and then. They are evil machines, at least mine is. I use to make Damascus knives. The 2000F forge, the forging press, molten salt heat treat, 25 pound power hammer at 3 hits per second, 2HP belt grinder with no guarding, band saw, mill/drill, etc. never struck fear in me like the table saw does. That is one piece of equipment that I am always completely sober while operating. I learned from my one minor mistake. Ahaha. :)
JJB11B
Novice

Post by JJB11B »

Laredo7mm wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:44 pm All I know is my table saw is the scariest piece of equipment that I own. I treat her with upmost respect and she still likes to try and bite me every now and then. They are evil machines, at least mine is. I use to make Damascus knives. The 2000F forge, the forging press, molten salt heat treat, 25 pound power hammer at 3 hits per second, 2HP belt grinder with no guarding, band saw, mill/drill, etc. never struck fear in me like the table saw does. That is one piece of equipment that I am always completely sober while operating. I learned from my one minor mistake. Ahaha. :)
I have all those tools, except the power hammer, I think the Belt grinder would be good for putting the bevel on as well, use a fresh 120 grit belt on the 2x72 set the work rest at your angle then just be careful. probably would be better than the tablesaw idea having the VFD so you can slow down and control it better will be nice too
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I've got a 30x30 wood CNC that could be programmed easily enough to cut a tapered circle out of a solid piece of wood. Could do the same for the holes as well.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier