Rum/Whiskey/Banana Rum? Recipe criticism

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Not_Joseph_Hobbs
Novice

Rum/Whiskey/Banana Rum? Recipe criticism

Post by Not_Joseph_Hobbs »

Hi all! I have just started my next batch of rum wash, and wanted to get some constructive criticism on my recipe. For some context, I work for a brewery here in the U.K. and so have access to quite a lot of supplies that come in handy. This is the second rum that I have made, the first one turned out perfect, and I did the same for that. Recipe below:

2kg of Tesco own brand soft brown sugar
4 x 454g of black treacle
2.5 litres of wort (gravity reading of 1.0779)

I popped all this into a big bucket, topped it up with hot and cold water until I reached around 26 litres and was at 31c. The gravity was sitting at 1.060. I pitched the slurry from the previous rum batch and it’s bubbling away nicely.

I also took 4 litres or so and popped that in another fermenter with two bananas that I roasted to get nice and caramelised and mashed up. I put in 8g of Allinsons yellow label bread yeast and it was bubbling within 5 minutes!!!! I could NOT believe how quickly it took of.

Anyway, looking for any feedback you may have or any criticisms on the recipe or any questions for me.
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Re: Rum/Whiskey/Banana Rum? Recipe criticism

Post by Dathhu »

Well, most of the ingredients should give a rum like flavour, the brown sugar and treacle are the highest percentage.

The wort? Well, I don't know. Malt flavour for sure, but beer wort ranges from light swill, through to Belgian triple, to english stout, through to Baltic porter (one of my favourites, but not so easy to get in Au). All depends on the grain that make up the flavours.

Depends on the grist that went into it... Seems like pretty high gravity though, most beers are in the 1.04-1.05 range. So there could be a good amount of flavour coming from it.

The bananas? Could add something interesting, could be lost completely...

Might be great, might be ok, but definitely unique.

My advice, save a bottle away, because you'll probably never make something like it again.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Banana rum? Please let us know how this turns out!!!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

My experience with ‘banana rum’ is limited. I made a batch almost two years ago. The banana flavor came over during the spirit run very nicely — but it didn’t last long. The banana flavor & smell dissipated quickly to the point where you couldn’t pick up any hint of banana. Aged on a few medium toast French oak cubes and some used white oak. It turned out to be a good rum. My advice is to make a very narrow hearts cut & drink it very soon after you make it. Age the rest as you see fit.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”