Sugar wash, Angel Yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sugar wash, Angel Yeast

Post by Northsouth »

Hi all.
After spending my first 100-200 distillations (first year here), on the hardware, I got to where it should be. It is now good enough. Focus is now (about f.. time some would say around here, on the wash, mesh).
So there is the Angel Yeast, yellow label, arriving in 3 days at my house.
Have messed up our entire outdoor space lately, fiddling around with malted barley, non-malted whear,and even home malted wheat,messing up the whole house.
So Angel yeast yellow label. Enzymes,all temp. Yeast. Works according to other threads here.

Mu single and only question is; does it also invert sugar, given the scenario that you have cracked grain, but want to add sugar as a safety net?
Will angel yeas yellow label t convert sugar?

We now count of you profeccional biochemis to enlighten us :D Won't rake long, I guess :)
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sugar wash, Angel Yeast

Post by rubberduck71 »

Angel yeast (to my knowledge) will not invert yeast. You need heat & acidity to do that. Those temps will denature the enzymes that function at 70-90F in YLAY. To call it "all temp" I think is inaccurate.

You CAN do sugarheads on spent grain with the YLAY in the trub. Just treat it like a sugarhead with additional nutrients & pH balancing. i've had a lot of success with this over the last 2 years.

The main purpose of YLAY is no mashing, but it will still work (if I understand your question correctly) if you want to use say, half the amount of grain & then the corresponding amount of sugar to get to your target SG. But I think you will have severely diminished returns if you try to do another sugarhead on that scenario.

Clear as mud?
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

Northsouth wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:56 pm Hi all.
After spending my first 200-300 distillations (first year here), on the hardware, I constructed it to where it should be. It is now good enough. Damn great actually, if some self bragging is within reason on here:-)
Focus is now on turning more to the mesh/ wash. (about f.. time some will say around here, I'm sure)

I have messed up our entire outdoor space lately, fiddling around with malted barley, and even self malted wheat, creating a stink-area of 5-10 m radius.

Then there is the Angel yeast yellow label. Enzymes,all temp. Yeast. Works according to other threads here, read them all.

My single and only question is; does this yeast also invert sugar, given the scenario that you have cracked grain, but want to add sugar as a safety net?
Will angel yeast yellow label convert sugar?

Hoping to pull on the marvellous brain power around here.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Angel yeast is best kept within the recommended temps, it works best with a consistent temperature and stirring as per the instructions.
You will need to do some calculations on grain and sugar volumes as Duck said because you won't be able to take a SG
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why wouldn't you just use this yeast as intended......it works perfectly well as is, as long as you use the correct grain/water/yeast ratios and the right temps.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I agree with Saltbush bill, theres no need to use added sugar. The stuff is its own safety net. Just try it out (following the instructions) and itll all work out
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Angel Yeast does not invert sugar and there is no reason to invert sugar. What it does is transform starches into (more or less) fermentable sugars. It could ferment a sugar wash as well because it contains yeast but I would use another type of yeast for that.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

+1 :thumbup: Demy ....seems some people are still trying to get their heads around how this yeast works.......No safety net needed here ......leave that to the Youtube boys.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

I am having a hard time reading some of your post... but I think you are asking this:

Will angel yellow label yeast invert sugar? No

Will angel yellow label yeast ferment sugar? Yes

Sure you could add sugar to the ferment... I would not do it myself, I would just use more grain if I wanted a stronger final ABV...

But if you do want to add sugar, I might say you could do a "step ferment" where you let the angel yeast yellow label do its thing with the grain then after a week or so dissolve the sugar in water (you could invert it at this step and let cool to room temp) Then add to the ferment.

You really almost don't need a "safety net" with angel yellow label yeast, it's nearly idiot proof.

Let us know if you have any questions on how to use the AYLY properly
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

but does yellow cake like sugar?

looks like it to me....

this is a "gumball" run fermenter here... the stuff is going nuts...

what strain of yeast do the yellow label use exactly? I thought it was a distillers yeast of some sort but man it seems to be cranking harder than any DADY I ever used
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I might have asked before...

Sort of off to one side of the topic, but will this angel yeast ferment milk products?

I know that ordinary yeast will not, but will the enzymes (or whatever) in this change,
for example whey from cheese making so that the yeast in the product can then ferment it?

I think I could get whey from a local cheese maker.

Geoff
The Baker
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I use angel Gold
sugar tolerant bread yeast for my napa cabbage sugar head and have done probably 1000
The yellow label is different been using it for rice for a couple years ,just now corn, I might try potatoes
But I do a 333 recipe with the sugar 30gram yeast 300 gram napa c 3 kg sugar, 18 l water. Comes to 1.060 apx
And I get 5 liter @40. 5/18x 40%= 9% wash apx
Anybody try the Blue with the koji?
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I think a couple years ago when I first got some (angel yellow Label yeast) I did something like ujssm with chicken feed powder and sugar with yellow... (the angel yellow Label yeast) And it fermented like crazy but being that the yellow (angel yellow Label yeast) cost 3x more than the Gold angel gold bread yeast) I only did it once as there was no difference in the yield...(between the angel yellow Label yeast compared to the gold angel bread yeast)
Last edited by SGB on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

SGB wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:08 pm I use angel Gold
sugar tolerant bread yeast for my napa cabbage sugar head and have done probably 1000
The yellow label is different been using it for rice for a couple years ,just now corn, I might try potatoes
But I do a 333 recipe with the sugar 30gram yeast 300 gram napa c 3 kg sugar, 18 l water. Comes to 1.060 apx
And I get 5 liter @40. 5/18x 40%= 9% wash apx
Anybody try the Blue with the koji?
This thread is about angel yellow....
Not the other products that they make......back on topic please.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I did... Right above with my follow up.. Short answer will it work with sugar... Yes... Do you get a better result compared to regular bread yeast.. No
But it will process both the starch and sugar together during the fermentation.. So you will get an added boost by combining those for sure
Sorry if I went off topic