First whiskey I made that my buddy says he likes. Bastard!

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

First whiskey I made that my buddy says he likes. Bastard!

Post by Newtothis »

So this is the 4th batch I have made, it’s a corn , barley and rye with a little bit of wheat mixed in all grain. Saved up and barreled it 9 months ago in a 5 gallon Gibbs barrel char 3 if I remember correctly. Just let it sit and gave it a try a couple nights ago, kinda blew my mind where the flavor was going. It’s at a little over 120 proof right now, rye forward whiskey that has a nice full flavor, sharp in the front and then the rye hits you and fades off to a nice carmel oak finish. Color is great. Buddy tried it and said, great job , first thing you made that tastes good! Great friends I know!
Attachments
90236370-CD90-4466-A4EB-9568035B2A76.jpeg
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Re: First whiskey I made that my buddy says he likes. Bastard!

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Congrats :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Yes congrats and I hope all you sampled him was that small bottle :)

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

He must have some poker face! 8) I guess it takes a bit to get it just right, plus everyone has different tastes.

What did you think about what you made?
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

sadie33 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:22 pm He must have some poker face! 8) I guess it takes a bit to get it just right, plus everyone has different tastes.

I like it a lot, that being said I do like the other stuff I’ve made it’s just not as well rounded as this. Certain flavors are now coming out after nine months that weren’t there before. Especially the rye in the front and a nice clean burn right after the rye that opens up to a corn and carmel butterscotch flavor at the end. Stoked I have 5 gallons of it in a barrel. Not going to touch it again till 18 months. So fun to taste the flavors changes and watch it develop.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Newtothis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:59 pm
sadie33 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:22 pm He must have some poker face! 8) I guess it takes a bit to get it just right, plus everyone has different tastes.

I like it a lot, that being said I do like the other stuff I’ve made it’s just not as well rounded as this. Certain flavors are now coming out after nine months that weren’t there before. Especially the rye in the front and a nice clean burn right after the rye that opens up to a corn and carmel butterscotch flavor at the end. Stoked I have 5 gallons of it in a barrel. Not going to touch it again till 18 months. So fun to taste the flavors changes and watch it develop.
That's great. I bet it will be worth the wait! :thumbup:
LordL
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LordL »

Just. Watch out for the angels!
20L Boiler
2" Piping
Potstill
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My wife still talks about how bad my first batches were and how good they are now. Not sure to take that as a compliment or complaint. When I first started I fermented in the basement bathroom shower, no I made a portable fermenting cart that is in my outbuilding which I think saves some of the complaining.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Newtothis wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:46 pm Buddy tried it and said, great job , first thing you made that tastes good! Great friends I know!
At least he is honest .
Now all you got to do is hide it from him .
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Newtothis wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:46 pm So this is the 4th batch I have made, it’s a corn , barley and rye with a little bit of wheat mixed in all grain. Saved up and barreled it 9 months ago in a 5 gallon Gibbs barrel char 3 if I remember correctly. Just let it sit and gave it a try a couple nights ago, kinda blew my mind where the flavor was going. It’s at a little over 120 proof right now, rye forward whiskey that has a nice full flavor, sharp in the front and then the rye hits you and fades off to a nice carmel oak finish. Color is great. Buddy tried it and said, great job , first thing you made that tastes good! Great friends I know!
Looks tasty from here. The Gibbs barrel is the key. I have bought many cheap barrels and haven't got very good results. They say it's white oak but who knows especially if they are made south of the border. I have a Badmo that seems to be working well. Chips or blocks in a sealed jar don't work bad but it's not like the juice hanging out in a small barrel for a year or better. You really do need the angels share to concentrate some flavors. Cheers!
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.