cornmeal and malted barley

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Aquaman13
Novice

cornmeal and malted barley

Post by Aquaman13 »

I'm trying an experimental run using 3# cornmeal, 4# sugar, and 1# two row barley. Planning on a 5 gallon plus ingredients mash.
My question is this, do I still need to use enzymes because of the sugar or will the barley do it's job on both the cornmeal and the sugar?
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: cornmeal and malted barley

Post by elbono »

You don't give much information but if you gelatanize the corn then add malted barley the enzymes are in the malted barley.

If the barley isn't malted, then you need enzymes.

For the above to ferment you don't need the sugar although it will ferment too and add alcohol.

If you're doing a sugarhead like UJSSM, the grains will add some flavor but no alcohol and you don't need to gelatinize or use any enzymes.

More info needed on what you are trying to do.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

I would do them separately. Cornmeal will convert easily around 160 degrees. Use enzymes as well but it will convert alot easier. Make sure you do the starch test also. If the barleys malted I do about 145ish. hold these temps till the iodine test is positive. and at 130 I add gluco to the barley.
You should get a good OG if you follow this process. Only test the clear liquid, if there's chunks in there you may get a faulty reading.
Edit. I wouldn't add sugar. You'll be much happier with just the grains. Sorry forgot to add usually 2lbs of grain per gallon, but corn meal u can use a little less. Maybe a pound less. I'm sure others with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Aquaman13
Novice

Post by Aquaman13 »

I'll add some details as the more you all know the more I'll hear and learn.
I brought 2 gallons of water up to 165 degrees and added 1 1/2# of cornmeal. Once mixed well I added an additional 1 1/2# of cornmeal and I added another gallon of water. I cooked it for about 30 minutes and added 4# of Morena pure cane sugar, making sure it all mixed in very well. I followed this with 1# of two row barley (I ground the barley prior to adding it in). Once I had it all mixed well I added 1 teaspoon of Amylase (temp 155 degrees)and mixed it thoroughly again for about 15 minutes. I poured mix into fermentor and added two additional gallons of water, stirring it again. I waited till it all cooled to 95 degrees and added 1.25 teaspoons of Red Star Distiller Active Dry yeast after agitating the mix numerous times.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Did you do a starch test?
Did you take a gravity reading?
These are very important to let you know how you did with your process.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Assuming the two row was unmalted then, since the enzymes were added......at a too high temperature, really.

You'll get some responses here to your questions, but the nature of the questions themselves would indicate you need to spend some time reading and learning before you start distilling. There's a lot to this hobby that if done wrong is potentially unsafe. The old guard used to reiterate "read till your eyes bleed" over and over again, and it's still good advice.

If you want to learn about mashing and how to do things, find a good beer site, like https://www.howtobrew.com/. Get the theory and basics, then come back and read this: viewtopic.php?t=52975 about a hundred times.