My first product

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

My first product

Post by sadie33 »

I did all my cuts last night, thought about trying some blending, but my husband talked me out of it. He said what we had was good and why mess it up.

I made a blueberry muffin moonshine. I didn't have a recipe, just followed my blueberry muffin recipe and didn't add anything you wouldn't put in a drink.

I am surprised at how well it came out!! I was so excited when I gave some to my husband I was like- "It's NOT gross!!" :lol:

I sipped one shot and wanted more. I am going to let it sit for a week or so before straining it. I will probably have to taste it every now and then to see how it changes.
blueberry moonshine #1.JPG
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My first product

Post by Bradster68 »

All the hardwork paid of then. I'm sure this is just the beginning of more to come. Congrats 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:54 am All the hardwork paid of then. I'm sure this is just the beginning of more to come. Congrats 🍻
Yes it did and it's so delicious! It is just the beginning. :thumbup:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Congratulations. There is no greater feeling than the feeling of accomplishing your first project in a new journey of learning.
There is much to learn ahead of you, but once you have been bitten, you're hooked. Just wait until you've made enough to be tasting well aged, hand crafted whiskey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:10 pm Congratulations. There is no greater feeling than the feeling of accomplishing your first project in a new journey of learning.
There is much to learn ahead of you, but once you have been bitten, you're hooked. Just wait until you've made enough to be tasting well aged, hand crafted whiskey.
I can't wait!! I will be toasting some oak soon. (it is some oak we split 3 yrs ago for our wood stove, but it's under about 12" of snow :esurprised: I have some digging to do first.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Make sure you only take the heart wood. the sap wood will not be that good in your spirits. Being seasoned outside in the weather, that'll be some good wood.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:39 pm Make sure you only take the heart wood. the sap wood will not be that good in your spirits. Being seasoned outside in the weather, that'll be some good wood.
thanks, I read that, but forgot. Maybe I will get it from my other pile. It's the wood, not the kindling but that's only 2 yrs old. I'm not sure I will be able to tell the heart wood from the sap wood in 3 yr old kindling.

thanks again!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Congratulations.

Be careful putting product on wood when you haven't got much in the drinks cabinet. It goes through a period of being woody and astringent and can be unpleasant to drink for a few months or years. It's the kind of beginner mistake that I've made several times:

Making red wine that needed a couple of years aging, and having nothing home made to drink, before making white wine the next year that was nice to drink straight away. Oaking most of my first UJSSMs, then running out of the delicious White Dog while the oaked product was still woody and needed several more months on the wood to come right. Making cheese that needed to be aged for a year before making cheese that would be ready in three weeks. I guess I'm a slow learner.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Congratulations 🍾. Sounds like a wonderful, inventive sip and it’s undoubtedly your own. :D
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well done Sadie . You must have got it pretty right straight up for Hubby to say don’t mess with it .
Never tried Blueberry muffin shine , but it sounds very tasty . …. And looks good too
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:18 pm Congratulations. Thank you

Be careful putting product on wood when you haven't got much in the drinks cabinet. It goes through a period of being woody and astringent and can be unpleasant to drink for a few months or years. It's the kind of beginner mistake that I've made several times:This is good to know, thanks!

Making red wine that needed a couple of years aging, and having nothing home made to drink, before making white wine the next year that was nice to drink straight away. Oaking most of my first UJSSMs, then running out of the delicious White Dog while the oaked product was still woody and needed several more months on the wood to come right. Making cheese that needed to be aged for a year before making cheese that would be ready in three weeks. Oh that's terrible! My first cheese was a chevre, which we ate right away I guess I'm a slow learner.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Yonder wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:38 pm Congratulations 🍾. Sounds like a wonderful, inventive sip and it’s undoubtedly your own. :D
thanks
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:15 pm Well done Sadie . You must have got it pretty right straight up for Hubby to say don’t mess with it .
Never tried Blueberry muffin shine , but it sounds very tasty . …. And looks good too
Thanks, it did come out pretty good considering it was not only my first spirit run, but my first recipe I made up.

I don't like blueberry muffins that much. Their kinda plain- white batter with blueberries thrown in. I feel like they should taste like blueberry pie. So I made my own blueberry muffins using all my blueberry pie ingredients-nutmeg, cinnamon and a little peach snaps. They're sooo good. I wanted my moonshine to taste like that. The funny thing is, I guess this would actually be blueberry PIE moonshine :lolno:
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Well done on getting your first product Sadie.
Feels so good doesn't it, it's a bit like you did magic!

And I must say, it looks really good so if the taste matches the looks you did good!
Keep hubby well supplied with some nice sips and you'll be getting a request to make a new, bigger, better still in no time! Haha
Make Booze, not War!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

sadie33 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am
Yummyrum wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:15 pm Well done Sadie . You must have got it pretty right straight up for Hubby to say don’t mess with it .
Thanks, it did come out pretty good considering it was not only my first spirit run, but my first recipe I made up.

I don't like blueberry muffins that much. Their kinda plain- white batter with blueberries thrown in. I feel like they should taste like blueberry pie. So I made my own blueberry muffins using all my blueberry pie ingredients-nutmeg, cinnamon and a little peach snaps. They're sooo good. I wanted my moonshine to taste like that. The funny thing is, I guess this would actually be blueberry PIE moonshine :lolno:
I’m so pleased you said that . Pie sounds much better than Muffins .
Wish you lived around the corner .Mmmm Mmmm
Can smell it wafting out the kitchen window .

Edit: OK … hope that didn’t sound wrong :|
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Sadie33, when you let Yummy off the hook how about you post your recipe in the appropriate thread?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Setsumi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:53 am Sadie33, when you let Yummy off the hook how about you post your recipe in the appropriate thread?
+1 I’d love to see that recipe.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Steve Broady wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:57 am
Setsumi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:53 am Sadie33, when you let Yummy off the hook how about you post your recipe in the appropriate thread?
+1 I’d love to see that recipe.
Ditto
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I don't mind posting it, but where would I post it?
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

I guess I could put it in shared recipes?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

sadie33 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:50 am I guess I could put it in shared recipes?
That's the place. Or recipe development...