New guy learning the ropes

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jsv22
Novice

New guy learning the ropes

Post by Jsv22 »

Hey Home Distillers!

Longtime lurker first time poster. Been lurking for almost a year and I'm getting pretty close to getting a working ccvm together.

I've been slowing piecing it together out of stainless spools and a keg. I've got three 18" x 2" spools, 1 x 2" tee, 1 x 2" elbow so far (clamps and ptfe gaskets to match).

For a PC, I was thinking of trying to make a shotgun condensor out of one of the spools, so I've been doing some research on silver soldering and may try that soon. Bit nervous about drilling holes in it and work hardening the stainless., But I could probably do it submerged in water to keep it cool....

I also don't have a RC yet either. I'd like to get some 3/8 ccst; however, they don't seem to have it available in my area. The obvious, and most readily available option is going to be soft copper (1/4 or 3/8).

Kettle wise, I'm still looking for a 50L keg - planning to make a keggle of some form. I have a few welders/fitters in my family who can weld stainless, so not too concerned, just need to acquire the keg! A friend down the street offered a 20l keg but I fear that's too small and will find a used 59l. Will likely go electric, ~2500W. I have some experience with PID controllers, so was thinking of going that route but open to options.

Thanks all!

Jsv22
Bushman
Admin

Re: New guy learning the ropes

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you, enjoy the journey as for me it was as much fun as the product I produced.
Jsv22
Novice

Post by Jsv22 »

Thanks Bushman, lots to learn. I'll keep reading!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome Jsv22!

Good plan to start with a keg. Also, if you can swing building a full-copper shotty it will provide ample 'headroom' for the amount of power that typically gets put into kegs. It will also introduce copper into the vapor path.
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Did you read up on PID’s before deciding to go that route?

I swear I read somewhere of a specific relay system/product that had the ability to use a PID but was also capable of being used as a POT but I really don’t care to try and find it :shifty:
Here’s a link to some controller builds.

viewtopic.php?t=3342

Here’s a couple topics about PID’s

viewtopic.php?t=77285&start=30

viewtopic.php?t=51759

viewtopic.php?t=5006

Edit: Sorry Jsv22 I didn’t realize this was a welcome center post :esurprised: Welcome aboard! Stay safe and have fun.
Last edited by Stonecutter on Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Jsv22
Novice

Post by Jsv22 »

Admittedly I have yet to fully research the PID for this application. My exposure in the past was using one to build a hotplate with stir. I really appreciate the links! I had a message from a member recommending the SCR route...so I'm going to read everything!

Thank you for the links and the welcome!
Stonecutter wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:05 pm Did you read up on PID’s before deciding to go that route?

I swear I read somewhere of a specific relay system/product that had the ability to use a PID but was also capable of being used as a POT but I really don’t care to try and find it :shifty:
Here’s a link to some controller builds.

viewtopic.php?t=3342

Here’s a couple topics about PID’s

viewtopic.php?t=77285&start=30

viewtopic.php?t=51759

viewtopic.php?t=5006

Edit: Sorry Jsv22 I didn’t realize this was a welcome center post :esurprised: Welcome aboard! Stay safe and have fun.
Jsv22
Novice

Post by Jsv22 »

Thanks! Cheers!
Bradster68 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:45 am Welcome and 🍻
Brad S
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brad S »

Welcome from a fellow new member. Here’s to seeing you around the virtual still.🥃
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome