Flavor consultant/researcher

Discussion and plans for legalizing our hobby.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

Flavor consultant/researcher

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I was curious if anyone here was able to get a license/permit that would allow you to run a still for your research. Not having run a still yet I am not sure I will keep up with distilling before I give this project to my Godson. So I have yet to ask an attorney here in Mexico what it would require. I am just too old to deal with the law coming into the ranch. So I thought this might be a minimalist way out,just pay for a permit.
Being a researcher would remove you from any sales aspect.
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Flavor consultant/researcher

Post by Stonecutter »

I’d trust a local Attorney before I’d put any faith in what you’ll hear in this forum regarding local law enforcement.
A booze forum/hooch Parlor isn’t the best place for legal advice.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

To cover my ass I definitely would. I'm just curious if anyone has tried this method. Here in Mexico I would need an Notario (Type of Attorney) to have anything to do with all the types of gov. here.
Tōtō
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The only licenses other than commercial licenses by members that I recall are for making fuel.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

There is a education/research license in the US but to get it you need to part of a university or college. I know a guy who is a college professor that got one for his department, let the college pay for all his equipment and time to learn to distill. He now owns a distillery besides being a professor. Not sure if Mexico has the equivalent.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I believe there must be a category of business of taste testers, taste researcher, distillation researcher, that would be for a private enterprise, such as a consultant for the beverage industry. That way I could make and store my experiments. This could take quite a few runs to have enough samples to verify your going in the right direction. Google translator is a little weak, as I'm with reading the law in Spanish,but I'll give it a try.
Tōtō
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

You could tour a distillery or two. Establish some rapport and start asking questions.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine