If running a thumper

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mookie1
Site Donor
Site Donor

If running a thumper

Post by Mookie1 »

So if I’m running a thumper do I need to do a stripping run or can I just go slow and take my cuts? Since it will be double stilled already?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: If running a thumper

Post by LWTCS »

Yes.......
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I put my clears in my boiler and the cloudy stuff in the thumper for a stripping run . 12 1/2 gallons each . 2 or 3 strips and I dilute down and do a spirit run . I've had no complaint about what I serve my friends . Some things you can't hurry .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I mostly do stripping runs with boiler and thumper, sizes depend on what I am making. Spirit run I mostly do with a potstill with/without long riser.

But you do not need to do things one way or another: you can choose to do things any which way you like.
Run two or more similar ferments in different ways of running, wait some time to give the result some rest and taste it.
And then choose according to your own taste.
OnceAlive
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OnceAlive »

Mookie1 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:02 pm So if I’m running a thumper do I need to do a stripping run or can I just go slow and take my cuts? Since it will be double stilled already?
I know very little about all of this but I'll still throw in some thoughts anyways.

Using a thumper is not unanimously considered "double distillation". I've read it's like 1.5 distillation and that make sense to me. I'd like to have one eventually if only to see how I can add flavours by using different liquids in it so the extra distillation it provides is not the only use to consider (I think)... but that's another subject.

Like others said, the way you do things is a matter of preference. Some do very slow single runs without even a thumper and they're okay with that so I guess skipping the strip run when using one could be done too. I don't really understand why you'd want that but I also don't understand why my dogs lick their buttholes and still look happy so maybe there just things I don't get?

Final advise would be to run this code:
Loop{
try();
taste();
judge();
}
decide();

Cheers
Chill'n Still'n ~ Distilling is a hobby where you don't want to blow off steam.
Useful links:
Don't forget the parent site... full of organized good info there
Newbie kickstart & Novice bump
Words words words
Help to pay the bills
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Single foot it how you will double an twist if you like.
That doublin keg is a rabbit path.

Everytime you set down at your outfit you goin to school.
If you ain't gettin that tingle then you might as well be cooking collards.

So I'm tole
Friendsofemily2
Novice

Post by Friendsofemily2 »

We ran our first run, we have a vevor 3 gal and ran sugar wash with raisins. The still has a thumper. We ran roughly 5 gal of wash. At no more than 195 degrees
Batch 1 was 3 oz foreshore, 16 oz heads 75%, 16 oz hearts 70%, 8 oz 62%. Total retained was 40 oz for roughly 2.5 gal wash. Calculated at 15% abv wash. Will be using bsg - fsg calculation to get potential was abv. My question is this. We ended up with 2 runs combined proof of 139 run1 and 142 run 2. Measured by proof hydrometer. My question as a novice is does this sound correct , and because we micromanaged the boiler Temps ( never over 195) did we do it as right as I think we did?
We were not expecting 150 proof from the start.
Happy but astounded.
Thank you for your thoughts to this newbie