Using Dry Barley Malted Extract?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Using Dry Barley Malted Extract?

Post by BoomTown »

Well, with my bottle of Glyco Amylase enzymes on the way, the question rises…

Aside from its Enzyme contribution, why use Malted Barley?

Can one use simple un-malted barley for a taste contribution?

Can one use Dry Barley Malt and just skip the barley…use more corn or wheat or rye instead?

If you’ve followed any of these paths, please share about your results and impressions. I’m out of Malted Barley, and shopping for more, but using Gluco enzyme, why would I ‘need’ it?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Re: Using Dry Barley Malted Extract?

Post by 6 Row Joe »

BoomTown wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 am Well, with my bottle of Glyco Amylase enzymes on the way, the question rises…

Aside from its Enzyme contribution, why use Malted Barley?

Can one use simple un-malted barley for a taste contribution?

Can one use Dry Barley Malt and just skip the barley…use more corn or wheat or rye instead?

If you’ve followed any of these paths, please share about your results and impressions. I’m out of Malted Barley, and shopping for more, but using Gluco enzyme, why would I ‘need’ it?
You can use all grain but no barley if you have malted corn or rye or enzymes. You can use all rye if it's malted or you could use enzymes. If you have enzymes you can use about anything that has starch that can be converted to fermented sugars. Barley does add a bit of flavor but it is mainly used for conversion especially with whiskey. Scotch or Irish uses barley as the grain of choice because of availability.
Last edited by 6 Row Joe on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

BoomTown wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 am Well, with my bottle of Glyco Amylase enzymes on the way, the question rises…

Aside from its Enzyme contribution, why use Malted Barley? Flavor!

Can one use simple un-malted barley for a taste contribution? Of course. There are many who do this, but raw barley has its own flavor profile that many believe benefits from 'enhancements'.

Can one use Dry Barley Malt and just skip the barley…use more corn or wheat or rye instead? Sure you can, but DME (Dry Malt Extract) comes with its own set of problems. Made for beer, DME contains a high level of un-fermentable sugars so the finished ferment ends up sweet and will balance well with hops. The has had it's enzymes destroyed in processing, foams in the boiler and has a lower potential alcohol level (inefficient). If you do a search on DME here, you can find a few threads that outline all of these in detail.

The only impressions I have of your processes (per a previous post of yours) is that adding boiling water to corn is okay (necessary to gel), but is murder on your wheat. Small grains need to be handled more delicately to preserve their character, IMO. Check out the recommended gel temps of raw grains and try to mill your small grains fine, if possible. Here's a great analogy of killing fine flavor, Boom.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:18 pm Who cooks pasta at 100C for the full 9 minutes? It comes out like a soggy limp **** lol. Bring to a boil and put it in hard once it starts to curl around the inside of the kettle turn it down to a simmer and let it bathe for the 9min - dump it into the colander capturing maybe 1/4c pasta broth then quickly put all the pasta, the 1/4c broth into the pot that’s still hot - drizzle and toss with olive oil and a little skimming off the very top liquid of your sauce and close up the pot. Heat off. Allow it to steam in its own heat 15-30min or ready to plate. Al dente? No. Soggy noodle? Nope! Hot? Yeah. Flavorful? Mmmm!
Also, if you have a good supply of raw wheat, you might try malting 50% of your wheat bill. It malts up with little effort and brings lots of (flavor and enzymes) goodies to the party.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:34 pm

Aside from its Enzyme contribution, why use Malted Barley? Flavor!

Can one use simple un-malted barley for a taste contribution? Of course. There are many who do this, but raw barley has its own flavor profile that many believe benefits from 'enhancements'.

Can one use Dry Barley Malt and just skip the barley…use more corn or wheat or rye instead? Sure you can, but DME (Dry Malt Extract) comes with its own set of problems. Made for beer, DME contains a high level of un-fermentable sugars so the finished ferment ends up sweet and will balance well with hops. The has had it's enzymes destroyed in processing, foams in the boiler and has a lower potential alcohol level (inefficient). If you do a search on DME here, you can find a few threads that outline all of these in detail.

The only impressions I have of your processes (per a previous post of yours) is that adding boiling water to corn is okay (necessary to gel), but is murder on your wheat. Small grains need to be handled more delicately to preserve their character, IMO. Check out the recommended gel temps of raw grains and try to mill your small grains fine, if possible. Here's a great analogy of killing fine flavor, Boom.
jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:18 pm Who cooks pasta at 100C for the full 9 minutes? It comes out like a soggy limp **** lol. Bring to a boil and put it in hard once it starts to curl around the inside of the kettle turn it down to a simmer and let it bathe for the 9min - dump it into the colander capturing maybe 1/4c pasta broth then quickly put all the pasta, the 1/4c broth into the pot that’s still hot - drizzle and toss with olive oil and a little skimming off the very top liquid of your sauce and close up the pot. Heat off. Allow it to steam in its own heat 15-30min or ready to plate. Al dente? No. Soggy noodle? Nope! Hot? Yeah. Flavorful? Mmmm!
Also, if you have a good supply of raw wheat, you might try malting 50% of your wheat bill. It malts up with little effort and brings lots of (flavor and enzymes) goodies to the party.
Thanks TB. I’ve never tried to malt the wheat…point me at a “how-to” discussion, please?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hey Boom,

Here are some links that should help. I do 15lb batches but 5lbs to start would work out I think. For the steep/aeration cycles colder temps (40F - 60F) work better. If you're blessed with a warm, sunny day you can sun-dry the sprouted wheat berries on a tarp or screen. If your weather is wet/cold an oven will work too. Just don't dry your malt higher than 150* or you can denature your enzymes. You know your malt is dry when all the roots break off and the berry is no longer soft (you want it just crunchy) when you bite into it.

Brewing Beer the Hard Way

Malting Barley or wheat

White Wheat Whiskey

Caramel Rye Malt My process here.

Good luck. Malted wheat makes a damn fine whiskey. PM me if you want to give malting a try.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer