Angel yellow label yeast question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Angel yellow label yeast question

Post by Newtothis »

So I have been doing a few all grain batches and I know my conversion is okay but not great and I’m leaving stuff behind, and I’m fine with that. But I was wondering, say you do an all grain mash and when you are all done fermenting on grain and assuming you are not distilling on grain, could you take the spent grain, which I’m sure has lots of good sugars locked up, and add water and angel yellow yeast to remove the rest of the sugars from the wash and use the wash for a neutral or something?
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Angel yellow label yeast question

Post by Chauncey »

Probably be a pretty low alcohol wort, I'd maybe make a thin mash by using angel and some sugar.

What do you reckon yer conversion efficiency is? That is the big variable here in my mind. 20% and the angel would be a saving grace 80% and there isn't much to be had.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

Chauncey wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:13 pm Probably be a pretty low alcohol wort, I'd maybe make a thin mash by using angel and some sugar.

What do you reckon yer conversion efficiency is? That is the big variable here in my mind. 20% and the angel would be a saving grace 80% and there isn't much to be had.
Not really sure, I just kinda mash and go and using enzymes, check the sg and fg. I was asking as well because I am doing a batch out of old barley for some neutral and used the angel for that, interesting stuff and tough to get a reading near the end of what to expect but using a alcohol refractometer it’s saying I’m at 20% using the grain and yellow label which seems way to high, but it got me thinking that maybe the angel yellow really is converting every single last piece of potential out of the grain.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

The only way to really know is to try it
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Newtothis wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:26 am So I have been doing a few all grain batches and I know my conversion is okay but not great and I’m leaving stuff behind,
If you are having conversion issues, it is mostly because the grains are not milled fine enough..

What's your milling equipment and fine are your grains milling..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

If you have the YLAY, just do your all-grain with it. Then do a follow-up sugarhead on the spent grains.

No fuss, no muss, & the best part, no mashing.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Sounds like a good idea for useing beer mashing spent grain leftovers with sugar and DME ...im getting kinda tired of making bran muffins
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I'll give it a try
Siva283
Novice

Post by Siva283 »

I saved my grains from a bunch of mashes and threw them in a barrel with angel yeast. It didnt make much alcohol.
Also your alcohol refractometer will be off with the sugars present in the wash. It doesnt take much sugar to through an alcometer way way off