Yellow label yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yellow label yeast?

Post by bluc »

ThomasBrewer wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:36 pm Real-world experience trumps everything, but I've read a lot of disparaging things about Angel Yellow that seem to be just poor sanitation ("smells like a dead racoon", etc.). With some mild pasteurization, those issues would likely go away. Certainly not a necessity, but there's no magic anti-bacterial action to Angel Yellow.
So does souring it, adding backset..bad smell is definately infection. Any acid will work backset or citric are my go too's.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:48 pm Have you experimented much with temp Bluc......keeping it at the recommended optimum of 32c, I thought mine did better when I kept it close to that temp.
Having said that recommended low is 26c and the high is 38, so it should be fairly forgiving Temp wise.
Missed this. No have not tried higher ferment time yet. I figure heating adds unessacary cost. At some point I will try to make sure I am not missing anything.
Bits for my stripper are arriving over next few weeks look forward to that also. :thumbup:
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Bryan1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm I waited about 3 months months to get this angel yeast so in the end I wasted 2 off 20 kg sack of grain for a total.......... 3.5 litres to 60% on my 4" bubbler and as far as the taste went one would be better drinking toilet water......

Now my last AG over 4 generations got 21 litres @65% for aging and after aging for 4 months it tasted better than my first AG run the year before.

so the hype over this yeast is way over rated when compared with doing a proper AG
Funny I get poor vol traditional mashing and good volume with this method.. i keep about 7l@65 from sack grain
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

v-child wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:51 am
SGB wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:57 am

Yes most likely this yeast will ferment the kitchen sink into something you could clean your floor with
"Most likely"? Explain.
You mean it could turn into a new wife?
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I just finished a spirit run yesterday of corn, barley and wheat bourbon. The ferments smelled good the whole time, yield was excellent and the finished product tastes and smells great. I think its worth using.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Bryan1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm I wasted 2 off 20 kg sack of grain for a total.......... 3.5 litres to 60% on my 4" bubbler and as far as the taste went one would be better drinking toilet water......
Bryan1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm so the hype over this yeast is way over rated when compared with doing a proper AG
Seems to me at this early stage that very few people are getting bad results using this stuff.
Have you considered that maybe there was some other reason for your fail and that it might not have been the yeast at fault?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bryan1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm I waited about 3 months months to get this angel yeast so in the end I wasted 2 off 20 kg sack of grain for a total.......... 3.5 litres to 60% on my 4" bubbler and as far as the taste went one would be better drinking toilet water......

Now my last AG over 4 generations got 21 litres @65% for aging and after aging for 4 months it tasted better than my first AG run the year before.

so the hype over this yeast is way over rated when compared with doing a proper AG
How closely did you follow their instructions? All of my ferments have been done choosing the middle or the optimum all the way and I've had no poor results yet.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

+1 to NZChris experience with this stuff. No poor results here either & I've been using it for over a year.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I always have a batch on working with Yellow Label, however I also do others with the cooking / enzymes system for speed ( and I have the equipment as well)
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Bryan1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm
if nothing else, I could see that the process of cooking the grains could make things taste different than fermenting raw grains.
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

I have have made several batches of jasmine rice, sugar, and both dady and yellow label combine and it makes a wonderful product.
Sarge
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I'm trying a test run with bananas and a bit of dme just curious.. We grow bananas ..did a mix of both green and ripe
Richard Wouter
Novice

Post by Richard Wouter »

I'm very interested to hear the result of the banana wash?