Sampling/sharing mailing list?

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sampling/sharing mailing list?

Post by Steve Broady »

Every now and then I read of members here sharing samples or bottled with other members. I realize that friendships spring up over years of communication and collaboration, which is a great thing. It got me thinking, though. It would be great to be able to share something I’ve made with other hobbyists and get honest feedback. I imagined having a short list of people who are willing to share their address and let me send them samples on occasion, and of course they’d be able to do the same if they liked. In my head, it went like this: 4-5 people have shared addresses, and any time one of us makes something we want to share or get feedback on, we send out a small bottle to everyone else on the list. No expectations, no schedule, just a group of like-minded hobbyists helping each other out.

Is this something that anyone here does, or would be interested in doing? I’m too new here to just call up one of the big names and ask for their address, or their opinions. I know my place. And I figure there have to be a few other folks who are relatively new and in the same boat, basically working in a vacuum, and not knowing anyone else here well enough to reach out.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sampling/sharing mailing list?

Post by Archee72 »

Due to the illegality aspect of our hobby private messaging of addresses may be your only avenue? Or to start off with shared email and then privately share addresses?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I read the post as a call for " validation"..

The question becomes, why is there a need to be validate that your product is OK ?

That need, to be validate, is sign of lack of confidence in whatever it is.. build confidence and the mental need is over come..

I personally don't need others to validate if the product is good.. I know if the product is good or not..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:05 pm I read the post as a call for " validation"..

The question becomes, why is there a need to be validate that your product is OK ?

That need, to be validate, is sign of lack of confidence in whatever it is.. build confidence and the mental need is over come..

I personally don't need others to validate if the product is good.. I know if the product is good or not..

Mars
I see your point of view, but I also know that I can't taste but 1-2 flavors in any bottle, made or bought. Yet the list and what others say they can taste in a commercial bottle can be up to 6 different flavors. I enjoy feedback from my friends and family as to what they can taste, and what they may or may not like. Also I am rather curious to taste just pure corn off the still, where some have said "overwhelming corn flavor" and mine is rather mild by that standard, yet is it my tongue or product? There is value to having others taste your stuff, and value in tasting others. Say you want to try a new a new grain, but your buddy already has, why not taste it for an idea on what to expect?

Plenty of valid reasons outside validation.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:05 pm I read the post as a call for " validation"..

Mars
I read the post as someone who is new to distilling wanting to share and get feedback on his product with other likeminded people.
I didn't see it as a validation at all.
I think Steve just wants to get as you say "confidence" by sharing his product and I think he'll get that from sampling other people's product and vice versa
He certainly won't get it by being told he should know when his product is good or not.
Steve I'd send you something but the legality and logistics has already proved to be to difficult
Not to sure where you are Mars, maybe you could help Steve out by giving him some of your stuff :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Steve , Turn a blind eye to the negative response above, what you are suggesting is often done on other distilling forums in other countries and Im pretty sure the subject has come up here before in other threads.
Its always good to get the feed back that you can get from a bottle swap no matter if you are a Newbie or are an experienced distiller.
Just knowing that you've got your cuts reasonable is good to know when your new to the game.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

You might want to look locally. Mailing can be a hassle. I found that a local home beer brewing club had a few closet distillers.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

You can reach out to me anytime brother. Just hit me with a PM and we can chat.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Steve, happy to swap addresses and samples when we meet during the south east meet up.

D
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’m hoping to make the SE meetup and bring some bbq sauce ;)

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

There is more to this that "validation" as I see it. Regardless of whether you've been at this a while, or relatively new to the craft, getting an opinion on your spirits from someone who understands what it takes to make a fine craft spirit and give thier own opinion of it knowing that free flowing free booze isn't at play can be enlightening.
If the only ones tasting my spirits is family and close friends who might not want to "hurt my feelings", (of which I have none BTW)and I tell them "this is what good whiskey should taste like", how are they going to provide constructive criticism?
And honestly, I never really knew if my white cut whiskey was tasting like what it should, until I got a sample from Twisted Brick.
That helped me understand more that just cuts.
If you have made friends on this forum you trust enough to ship BBQ sauce or Hot Sauce to, then do it!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

At a meetup of several new and old home distillers, one of the relatively new distillers told me that his trip was worthwhile because it made him realize how good his own product was compared to the product of the other distillers present or who had provided samples. I'm sure that his product is even better now, several years later, both his new make and his aged product, as he isn't a sucker for poor advice.

I have accumulated a few samples of other home distillers products and some of them are getting quite old now, but most of are not on wood so haven't aged. Most of them will never get emptied by me and will remain in my "library" until their distiller knocks on my door.

If you are going to do swaps, I suggest that you only swap sample sized volumes.

If you are new, swapping is a great idea, as you will likely receive better product than you sent.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:57 pm I’m hoping to make the SE meetup and bring some bbq sauce ;)

Cheers,
J
I don’t live in the SE, but someone mentioned Q. Depends when and where but I’m game
If in doubt leave it out.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I have and do ship samples of homemade and purchased liquors. For years! Boston bottles are the norm for sample sending. I'm always willing!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I don't know how I missed this topic when Steve started it, but now that I've found it I'd like to say that I would be willing to participate in an exchange of product with others.

Mailing doesn't need to be a hassle. Years ago (probably about 15) I used to participate in an online tasting of high gravity homebrewed beers with a dozen or so other folks, and we had to send bottles of our 'entry' to each of the other participants. We would set up a schedule (online chatroom, Fridays at 10pm during the winter months), and roughly 2 weeks before your beer was scheduled you would pack up a dozen boxes with your beer (and a few others) and ship one to everyone on the list. During the 3 or 4 years I did this I can only remember one time someone received broken bottles.

In the US, shipping alcoholic beverages is either illegal (USPS) or violates company policy (UPS, FEDEX, etc). But we did it anyway - wrapping bottles in bubble wrap, double-lining the box with a plastic bag (hopefully to contain liquids if there is any breakage), and labeling the box with a description of the contents (non-perishable food items) but no return address.

So I am in.