What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:31 pm Just need to clean it tomorrow, and it'll be ready to run the HBB that's clearing in the buckets behind the still.
That's a very cool bday gift right there. I'm so jealous 😫
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I was pretty surprised. The bottles packed inside it were delicious as well.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Third distillation of a single pot still Irish. 60/40 malted to unmalted barley.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Trying something new to me 12 lbs corn.
1/2 lb oat in a 5 gallon mash.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Bradster68 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 pm Trying something new to me 12 lbs corn.
I would up the oats to 20 - 25% of the total mash bill.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

EricTheRed wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:00 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 pm Trying something new to me 12 lbs corn.
I would up the oats to 20 - 25% of the total mash bill.
Dam. I was wondering. I wasn't sure how much I should add. I got 200lbs of corn to play with. I'm doing small 5 gallon batches.
I'll do another and up it for sure.👍
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

Did the last 3 stripping runs on my latest single malt (40% pale malt, 20% ea munich, vienna, peated malt). I've got 10.5 gal of 28% low wines and 1.5 gallons of the beer @ 8.2% for a 12 gallon spirit run. I think I'll hang onto it until I get my 4" sieve plate column built (3 plates) ... maybe by the end of the month.

Also started an experiment. I had about 90 oz of bourbon white dog left after filling a BMOB, so decided to split it into 6 jars with 12 oz each. 2 jars each at 123, 113, 103 proof, with one set having med toast charred white oak sticks (3/4 x 3/4 x 1 1/2), the other set having heavy toast charred white oak sticks. The intention is to learn about what characters come over with different proofs and different toast levels.

Lots to do ... build the column, build a shotgun condenser, build a steam generator from a 1/4 bbl pony keg, make 6 more BMOBs (2 with heads made from used bourbon barrel staves) ... it never ends :D
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Haven't made any Mead for a while. Momma has been sipping quite a bit lately.
Tried a JAO again. This stuff is a little nasty after fermentation is done. But give it at least 6 months or even a year and its very nice. The citrus flavor mellows right out.
2 Gallon batch.
SouthwestAl
Novice

Post by SouthwestAl »

No distillations this weekend, but I started an extract that will be the base of a bitters I want for Negronis. Cacau nibs, bitter orange peel & Gentian root, with tiny amount of Cubeb pepper, Cardamon, and an even tinier amount of Tonka Bean. I am drip-filtering today, and will see what it's like and if it needs some diluting before going into the final bitters.

I am also dehydrating some cucumber slices today - de-seeded, with the aim to make a cucumber distillate for blending with Gin. Watch this space!
SOUTHWEST DESTILARIA DE BEBIDAS LTDA
CNPJ: 37.412.594/0001-58
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made my first batch of Kahlua. I used Taters recipe. I realize this doesn't taste exactly like store bought. But I feel it may be better. The homemade stuff has a stronger coffee taste and not so syrupy sweet. I'm sure age will make it even better. I'm very pleased .I will be trying some other versions as well.🍻
Attachments
20230205_162841.jpg
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

4xsix gallon fermenters full of Honey Bear bourbon.

!st attempt at this stuff for me & I'm using the YLAY.

Kitchen all cleaned up & vacuumed before the SWIMBO gets home too...
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:39 am Made my first batch of Kahlua. I used Taters recipe. I realize this doesn't taste exactly like store bought. But I feel it may be better. The homemade stuff has a stronger coffee taste and not so syrupy sweet. I'm sure age will make it even better. I'm very pleased .I will be trying some other versions as well.🍻
Nice job, Brad. This should be a fun project to tweak flavors. I'm certain there will be a batch of homemade Kahlua in my future.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:01 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:39 am Made my first batch of Kahlua. I used Taters recipe. I realize this doesn't taste exactly like store bought. But I feel it may be better. The homemade stuff has a stronger coffee taste and not so syrupy sweet. I'm sure age will make it even better. I'm very pleased .I will be trying some other versions as well.🍻
Nice job, Brad. This should be a fun project to tweak flavors. I'm certain there will be a batch of homemade Kahlua in my future.
Thanks TB
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Made 50 litre sugar wash for neutral.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I started a 50 gallon Agave syrup ferment approximately two weeks ago.

1x five gallon container of 21missions syrup, 45 gallons water, autoclaved yeast as nutrient (~2/3 cup), 100ml 21missions Agave terpenes.
1/2 pack of SafTeqBlue "Tequila/Mezcal Yeast". Rehydrated and made a starter with some agave wash to get the yeasties started overnight.
SG was approximately 1.040 and is dropping steadily & slowly - down to 1.010 after two weeks.

I have another similar sized batch of this to make and was expecting it to ferment faster but it's going slow and steady so sticking with the SafTeqBlue yeast for now.

I also adjusted pH and used oyster shells to maintain ~4.3pH in the wash... It was slightly higher at first and has dropped. I used calcium hydroxide to buffer initially then shells to maintain.

Looking forward to running this when it's done and will plan to start the second batch with agave dunder from batch #1 strips..

I made this a couple years ago and loved it :) Initial SG is so low I might order another 5g of the syrup to do a third batch and will experiment with terpenes too - I used about 1/2 of the recommended terpene dose which I didn't have last time I made the agave..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:35 pm I started a 50 gallon Agave syrup ferment approximately two weeks ago.

1x five gallon container of 21missions syrup, 45 gallons water, autoclaved yeast as nutrient (~2/3 cup), 100ml 21missions Agave terpenes.
1/2 pack of SafTeqBlue "Tequila/Mezcal Yeast". Rehydrated and made a starter with some agave wash to get the yeasties started overnight.
SG was approximately 1.040 and is dropping steadily & slowly - down to 1.010 after two weeks.

I have another similar sized batch of this to make and was expecting it to ferment faster but it's going slow and steady so sticking with the SafTeqBlue yeast for now.

I also adjusted pH and used oyster shells to maintain ~4.3pH in the wash... It was slightly higher at first and has dropped. I used calcium hydroxide to buffer initially then shells to maintain.

Looking forward to running this when it's done and will plan to start the second batch with agave dunder from batch #1 strips..

I made this a couple years ago and loved it :) Initial SG is so low I might order another 5g of the syrup to do a third batch and will experiment with terpenes too - I used about 1/2 of the recommended terpene dose which I didn't have last time I made the agave..

Cheers!
-j
That sounds awesome Johnny. Does this make something close to a tequila or mezcal? I know guys used to say it was hard to replicate. But now iv heard rumors that the syrup makes a pretty good lick.
I'd be Interested to know what the outcome is. 🍻
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:59 pm
jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:35 pm I started a 50 gallon Agave syrup ferment approximately two weeks ago.

Cheers!
-j
That sounds awesome Johnny. Does this make something close to a tequila or mezcal? I know guys used to say it was hard to replicate. But now iv heard rumors that the syrup makes a pretty good lick.
I'd be Interested to know what the outcome is. 🍻
In my opinion yes it does - or did when I made it a couple years ago... I also purchased a few bottles of various tequila's to compare against and they were of course all different too :)

I'm personally more interested in a slightly smoky Mezcal than a tequila so i'll experiment but I guess Tequila broadly falls under the Mezcal group of spirits in any case..

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

In my opinion yes it does - or did when I made it a couple years ago... I also purchased a few bottles of various tequila's to compare against and they were of course all different too :)

I'm personally more interested in a slightly smoky Mezcal than a tequila so i'll experiment but I guess Tequila broadly falls under the Mezcal group of spirits in any case..

That's pretty good news. Me and momma bear are big drinkers of Tequila in the summer time. I make an awsome margarita :D. But we like a little stronger taste of Tequila in the drink. And the smokey flavor may be even better. I'm in Canada so I'll see if I can find the syrup. I guess it's time to try a batch.
I would appreciate if you could let me now how this turns out. Are you going to smoke the batch some how? Where's the smokey taste come from? I know normally they smoke the plant.
And yes from the research iv done mezcal and Tequila are as super strict on where and how they are made
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:38 pm In my opinion yes it does - or did when I made it a couple years ago... I also purchased a few bottles of various tequila's to compare against and they were of course all different too :)

That's pretty good news. Me and momma bear are big drinkers of Tequila in the summer time. I make an awsome margarita :D. But we like a little stronger taste of Tequila in the drink. And the smokey flavor may be even better. I'm in Canada so I'll see if I can find the syrup. I guess it's time to try a batch.
I would appreciate if you could let me now how this turns out. Are you going to smoke the batch some how? Where's the smokey taste come from? I know normally they smoke the plant.
And yes from the research iv done mezcal and Tequila are as super strict on where and how they are made
8Ball has a thread somewhere here where he used a cold smoker to infuse some smoke into his final hearts cut and he had good things to say. I'm going to experiment with that method and various kinds of wood (used bourbon oak to start with in the cold smoker). I'm thinking i'll experiment with cold smoking some low wines and final hearts cut - perhaps with some more concentrated agave terpenes to see how those flavors carry over and integrate with a finishing distillation - maybe cold smoking my dilution water to get it closer to 25-40%abv for the final distillation if water holds smoke better than EToH... I'll plan to experiment with a small batch first so I can dilute with clean hearts if either the terpenes or smoke is too strong...

From what I've read so far Mezcal is typically a different agave (not blue agave) and yes the smoke comes from when they roast the Pina's in a smoky pit... First time I made agave I smoked some sweet taters on the grill and puree'd them into the wash - it wasn't enough and I probably didn't smoke them long enough... I feel like the Mezcal smokiness should be fairly subtle in any case... I've had the syrup for a while and finally fermenting it now :)

Cheers,
j
————
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

8Ball has a thread somewhere here where he used a cold smoker to infuse some smoke into his final hearts cut and he had good things to say. I'm going to experiment with that method and various kinds of wood (used bourbon oak to start with in the cold smoker). I'm thinking i'll experiment with cold smoking some low wines and final hearts cut - perhaps with some more concentrated agave terpenes to see how those flavors carry over and integrate with a finishing distillation - maybe cold smoking my dilution water to get it closer to 25-40%abv for the final distillation if water holds smoke better than EToH... I'll plan to experiment with a small batch first so I can dilute with clean hearts if either the terpenes or smoke is too strong...

From what I've read so far Mezcal is typically a different agave (not blue agave) and yes the smoke comes from when they roast the Pina's in a smoky pit... First time I made agave I smoked some sweet taters on the grill and puree'd them into the wash - it wasn't enough and I probably didn't smoke them long enough... I feel like the Mezcal smokiness should be fairly subtle in any case... I've had the syrup for a while and finally fermenting it now :)

Cheers,

Awsome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be looking up that post.🍻
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm Awsome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be looking up that post.🍻
I found 8Ball's reference to cold smoke in this agave thread ->
viewtopic.php?p=7682518#p7682518

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:55 am
Bradster68 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:00 pm Awsome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be looking up that post.🍻
I found 8Ball's reference to cold smoke in this agave thread ->
viewtopic.php?p=7682518#p7682518

Cheers!
-j
Awsome. Iv been busy with my all corn ferments and haven't had time. Thanks so much,appreciate it 🍻
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

I’m down to the last few minutes of stripping 126L of SBB Rum in 16L batches. It’s been a marathon. I need a bigger still! I’m not built for marathons.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

starting the spirit run on 11.8 gal 27% low wines of a peaty single malt.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Tried 9.5lb barley malt.
1 lb honey malt
3 lb rye malt
OG 1.09 in 6 Gallon water. A little high on my ratio I believe.
Adjusted down to 1.065
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Stripped and spirited my all corn 1/2lb oat whiskey . Taste real good fresh of the spout.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

4F0D01FF-B530-4EFE-8AFF-03D0C713C1A9.jpeg
Stripping some agave wash this weekend. It took a while to ferment out to 1.002 or so while I was out of town - looks like a bit of perhaps a lacto. I’ll strip the first charge of approximately 15g wash to about 5g low wines and see what the abv is to guage next strip volume. I’ll save some agave dunder to start the next ferment this weekend if I can and keep it rolling.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Today was chore day, Moved the woodshed and cut back some vegetation that needed to get done before the contractors show up to replace my fence next week.
Replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and cabin filter in my diesel pickup. Cut an order of vinyl decals and got them in the mail and did some clean up in the garage ahead of "Sunday Run day". Tomorrow will be a Spirit run on another batch of HBB that'll glass age before topping off my 5 gallon barrel when I start taking from it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:08 pm Today was chore day, Moved the woodshed and cut back some vegetation that needed to get done before the contractors show up to replace my fence next week.
Replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and cabin filter in my diesel pickup. Cut an order of vinyl decals and got them in the mail and did some clean up in the garage ahead of "Sunday Run day". Tomorrow will be a Spirit run on another batch of HBB that'll glass age before topping off my 5 gallon barrel when I start taking from it.
Jeezuz. That's a pretty good day. U need a drink
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I discovered 5 lbs of semolina flour in the pantry, infested with weevils. We keep all out dry goods in sealed containers, but the lid got left open somehow. Rather than throwing it out, I decided to make whiskey. Added an open box of cream of wheat and another of an almond berry crunch cereal, both also infested, and two new boxes of bran flakes. When the temp drops a little more I’ll add amylase and see if I can’t make something tasty out of it. I figure I’ll fill a 5 gallon bucket for under $5, because everything else was on hand already.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.