Converting 100% corn

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: Converting 100% corn

Post by woodshed »

It's actually 70 unmalted/ 30 malted. All corn. I malt 100 lbs. at a time. Pics of my trays and some ideas are already posted here. Smoker was made for me by my neighbor here at the distillery.
badsmerf
Novice

Post by badsmerf »

Few questions. Glad we got the attention of some of you with this thread! First, why do you not want to get any solids in when you do an iodine test? When I was doing my test I would mix everything up and test it, so I must have been doomed to start. Shouldn't the point be to convert ALL the starches into sugar?

Also, for woodshed mostly. I've searched and searched for more info on malting corn and been pretty unsuccessful at finding specific info I'm looking for. How long do you let the acrospire get? I cut it off too early last time only letting them get 1/2 inch but this time I let them get 1 to 2 inches. Other than that it should be pretty simple right? Does the 30/70 ratio get you enough conversion? Can you really taste the difference with smoke? I was thinking about smoking some of the malt with applewood that I have a bunch of.

The first time through the still for me had a very strong corn flavor, you get the same result? I did run it pretty fast and ended up with 40% abv combined at the end of the run. I'm guessing another time through will clean it up pretty good.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

The solids will always fail the iodine test. And can taint the whole test. The liquid is what you are making. So it needs to be tested clean.

As far as malting. Dnderhead has given much great info on it. In many different threads here. I would seek them out.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I find an average of around an inch to be good.
Yes the ratio provides my conversion.
Yes the smoke comes through. A little goes a long ways.
Strong corn flavor to you may be just right to me.
Cannot comment on your collection rates as I'm sure our processes and equipment are different.
Running it all through again will clean it up.
Follow the advice of Prairiepiss above.
badsmerf
Novice

Post by badsmerf »

Greatly appreciate the input. I've PM'ed with Prairiepiss a little and he suggested searching more and reading more. I then started using the HD Google Search with a lot more success. Still though, its hard to find everything I'm looking for. I'm glad I PM'ed with Prairiepiss too, he talked me into a much simpler plan to start out and I'm glad for it. There is a lot that goes into this hobby so taking one step at a time is the way to go. This isn't something you do perfectly the first several times... it takes practice.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

badsmerf wrote:Greatly appreciate the input. I've PM'ed with Prairiepiss a little and he suggested searching more and reading more. I then started using the HD Google Search with a lot more success. Still though, its hard to find everything I'm looking for. I'm glad I PM'ed with Prairiepiss too, he talked me into a much simpler plan to start out and I'm glad for it. There is a lot that goes into this hobby so taking one step at a time is the way to go. This isn't something you do perfectly the first several times... it takes practice.
I think this is the best advice you have been given. Piss won't lead you wrong. He likes to see people do it the right way.
WestCoast
Novice

Post by WestCoast »

I have read through this and am wondering if you would get better conversion from the corn if you did more than just crack it. What if you ran it through the mill a few more time?
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

The smaller it is the easier it cooks and the easier to convert. So yes to answer your question. Smaller makes it harder to clear and clean up though.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
WestCoast
Novice

Post by WestCoast »

The impression i get about working with corn, is that everything turns into a gelatinous goo. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Rice hulls? More grains?

-WC-
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I’ve got about 20lbs of flaked Corn I’d like to turn into corn likker. Do you guys think that I could use the Sebstar combo or should I just use alpha and beta amylase?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:26 am I’ve got about 20lbs of flaked Corn I’d like to turn into corn likker. Do you guys think that I could use the Sebstar combo or should I just use alpha and beta amylase?
The Sebstar glucoamylase is great for saccharification. And since your corn is already “flaked”, meaning it was hot rolled when the corn was gelatinized, you don’t need to heat it to gel temperatures (boiling) and can now mash it at sacc tmperatures just like you would with malted barley.

Beta amylase is appropriate for fermentable conversion, but the Sebstar gluco is best and will convert quicker and more thoroughly for you. If you have it, that’s what I’d recommend.

Also, make sure to check conversion with the iodine (starch) test. When mashing, hold the temperature at 147-150*F until converted. And be patient for it to complete. It may require a couple of hours, or more until the iodine check says you’re done.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thank you SS! I do have the SEBstar gluco. I’m eager to get the flaked stuff done and try my hand with some milled corn as I also have the HTL :thumbup:
Updates will come.

Mighty mighty pleasin’….
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:34 pm Thank you SS! I do have the SEBstar gluco. I’m eager to get the flaked stuff done and try my hand with some milled corn as I also have the HTL :thumbup:
Updates will come.

Mighty mighty pleasin’….
I'm also starting a few various recipes with just corn. I cheated last time and added .5lb of oats. But I wanna do a couple all corn and try it white and on oak to see what all the hype is about .
The htl and the gluco got me a pretty good OG Of 1.07. I'm pretty happy with that its bubbling away nicely
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Encouraging words Bradster.
About the hype, I regard a successful Corn likker as a kind of right of passage for the hobby Distiller. Like a brisket for the BBQ crowd.
-Thomas Paine
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

WestCoast wrote: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:16 pm The impression i get about working with corn, is that everything turns into a gelatinous goo. Is there a way to keep this from happening? Rice hulls?
High temp alpha amylase, will turn the gelatinous goo into thin corn soup.

After the HTL has turned all the starch to destrins, use Gluco to chop the dextrins into fermentable sugar.
Last edited by shadylane on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:23 pm Encouraging words Bradster.
About the hype, I regard a successful Corn likker as a kind of right of passage for the hobby Distiller. Like a brisket for the BBQ crowd.
Lmao. I know all about those rights of passage. Iv sat In front of a wood fired smoker for 10 hours to learn the art of brisket smoking . And that's something I still haven't mastered "YET". Beautiful at the edge,baseball glove inside.🤣
Bt I'm dam excited about that corn licker
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Bradster68 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:50 pm Lmao. I know all about those rights of passage. Iv sat In front of a wood fired smoker for 10 hours to learn the art of brisket smoking . And that's something I still haven't mastered "YET". Beautiful at the edge,baseball glove inside.🤣
Haha yes! This summer, come hell or high water, I’m going to get my Brisket down. Bet your ass I’ll be kicking back some good ol’ corn squeezings as I do it too :wink:
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bradster68 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:50 pm
Lmao. I know all about those rights of passage. Iv sat In front of a wood fired smoker for 10 hours to learn the art of brisket smoking . And that's something I still haven't mastered "YET". Beautiful at the edge,baseball glove inside.🤣
Best Brisket I ever made, I cheated. I smoked it for 4.5 hours after seasoning, then vacuum packed it and sous vide cooked it for 24 hours before tossing it back on the grill for a bark. Nobody know the difference and I'll never do it any other way now.

As for Korn likker, my barrel aged straight corn and enzymes has really turned into a good drop. 150# of TSC corn fits in a 5 gallon oak barrel iffin ya cook it right😉
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:52 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:50 pm
Best Brisket I ever made, I cheated. I smoked it for 4.5 hours after seasoning, then vacuum packed it and sous vide cooked it for 24 hours before tossing it back on the grill for a bark. Nobody know the difference and I'll never do it any other way now.

As for Korn likker, my barrel aged straight corn and enzymes has really turned into a good drop. 150# of TSC corn fits in a 5 gallon oak barrel iffin ya cook it right😉
Ahhh. My buddy uses that sous vide thingy for smoking. He says he loves it.

Corn and brisket there's a good day. 👍
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Two of my best hobbies, smoking meat on my 94 gallon offset smoker, and making corn likker.

Need something to sip when doing those long cooks! :)